Page 160 of 247 FirstFirst ... 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 6158
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I'd love to hear the thinking behind using that kind of bolt for a chainring...
    Allen screws are about the easiest screw to strip the heads on, Torx much less so

never seen allen screws or Torx in computers they were all were Bristo,

you could put the bristo wrench in the screw head and wind it completley around a revolution with pliers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Allen screws are about the easiest screw to strip the heads on, Torx much less so

never seen allen screws or Torx in computers they were all were Bristo,

you could put the bristo wrench in the screw head and wind it completley around a revolution with pliers
    Oh I have no beef with Torx, they're great bits and unstrippable fasteners. The safety version though? The one that requires a dimpled bit to work on? Why??
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

missed the security dimple part, duno maybe they had them left over ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-19-2022 at 12:38 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't mind torx but its a PITA when there are just a few components that use Torx and the rest are hex. Now I have to dig out a Torx wrench from my tool kit and hope its the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I don't mind torx but its a PITA when there are just a few components that use Torx and the rest are hex. Now I have to dig out a Torx wrench from my tool kit and hope its the right size.
    I'm pretty sure I've made this exact rant before, but swapping handlebars requires 2.5/3/4/5 mm hex keys, a T25, and a Phillips if I'm running a bell. 5-6 tools to swap a bar is ridiculous.

MAGNETS
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Sram pisses me off with this. Plenty of their parts have both torx and hex, which is just silly. And their rear derailleur hanger bolts are the worst - they were 5mm hex forever, then they switched them to T25's, and then they decided to switch back to 5mm. All for a bolt head that's recessed and you can't really see it, so you just have to kinda grope in there with the tool and see if it feels like it's hooking up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Sram pisses me off with this. Plenty of their parts have both torx and hex, which is just silly. And their rear derailleur hanger bolts are the worst - they were 5mm hex forever, then they switched them to T25's, and then they decided to switch back to 5mm. All for a bolt head that's recessed and you can't really see it, so you just have to kinda grope in there with the tool and see if it feels like it's hooking up properly.
    Yup. And I seem to recall at one point the only T25 I could find at the time was on a multi-tool that wouldn't reach deep enough to access the bolt.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

I don’t buy into the torx superiority theory as it’s been applied to bikes. When’s the last time someone striped out a shifter bolt? It should never happen because of the low torque (see what I did there!?!?)
    Maybe for the bigger bolts, like rotors. But then why aren’t they putting torx on stems and seat clamps? It’s all the stupid little fiddly stuff that leaves you hung up on the trail. And really the biggest problem I have with Allen head bolts is companies using shitty metal with shittier tolerances. Every time I go the tighten a KS seat clamp I wonder if I should be using an SAE wrench. Or maybe a half size.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I have a bins of assorted hex bolts that I use to replace the SRAM shifter bolts, dropper lever bolts, and any other SRAM oddity. If there are only 3 Torx bolts on the whole bike, I'l replace them.
    If its something stupid like a Scott with all T25 Torx bolts, I'll leave it.
    Dont get me started with Cannondale's T20 stem faceplate bolts, or Tektro's T15 bleed screws....

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I don’t buy into the torx superiority theory as it’s been applied to bikes. When’s the last time someone striped out a shifter bolt? It should never happen because of the low torque (see what I did there!?!?)
    Maybe for the bigger bolts, like rotors. But then why aren’t they putting torx on stems and seat clamps? It’s all the stupid little fiddly stuff that leaves you hung up on the trail. And really the biggest problem I have with Allen head bolts is companies using shitty metal with shittier tolerances. Every time I go the tighten a KS seat clamp I wonder if I should be using an SAE wrench. Or maybe a half size.

Usually a torx head is a little lower profile, so sometimes it makes sense in that regard. And I don't have any problem with torx if everything is torx. I just don't like this mix and match hodge podge.

https://helenair.com/news/local/grou...ec86528c1.html

Usual suspects have something to say about mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post

My Fav.
    The plaintiffs note that many equestrians have bought homes in the area because of easy access to trails and that Scratchgravel is one of the “last remaining places close to the city of Helena that allows equestrian use” of several trail systems.

In a news release announcing the lawsuit, Joanna Easton, a member of the Alliance for the Wild Rockies, said many of the mountain bikers are riding with earbuds and don’t see the equestrians.

She said the riders who do see her are going at such a high speed that they slam on their brakes and frighten the horse.

"Horses are prey animals and their instinct when they are spooked or startled is to run, spin, jump and buck,” Easton said. “This not only endangers the horse and rider, but other trail users as well.”
    How do earbuds prevent you from seeing?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Sounds like the horse folk are mad that the 35 miles of new trail are bike specific and they'd prefer to continue having conflict on multi-use. I like not riding over horse shit and not scaring dumb animals.

When the “Alliance for the Wild Rockies” is filing suit on behalf of suburban homeowners’ recreation preference, I think it’s a pretty clear sign they’ve strayed from whatever their mission is.

Yes, it’s definitely older equestrians who are imagining mountain bikers riding 30 mph everywhere, and who don’t have any sense of responsibility for their skittish 1-ton prey animals. I participated in a working group that took us from the draft to a new proposal that’s essentially what the final plan is. I don’t have any trouble imagining some people continuing to undermine that.

I liked this part:

They note the National Environmental Policy Act is a charter for protection of the environment and it requires agencies to take a “hard look” at the environmental impacts of their actions.
    Because obviously bikes are an environmental catastrophe, but horses are great.

Maybe if we all rode 1000 lb bikes that had little noxious weed seed dispensers under the saddle, the plaintiffs would be ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I liked this part:

Because obviously bikes are an environmental catastrophe, but horses are great.

Maybe if we all rode 1000 lb bikes that had little noxious weed seed dispensers under the saddle, the plaintiffs would be ok with it.
    Tradition pardner, giddyupp!
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Tradition pardner, giddyupp!
    Bury a penny farthing in the dirt then excavate it and claim historic use.

Ironically, the anti mtb arguments from equestrians and hikers sound remarkably similar to the anti Ebike arguments from mountain bikers.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    My Fav.

How do earbuds prevent you from seeing?
    My experience is that earbud wearing arses are generally pretty unaware of their surroundings. Not that one causes the other, but they seem to go hand in hand.

Speaking of fasteners, what’s with 1up racks using imperial sized allen bolts? Not just for the main installation bolts (which they provide the wrench for), but also for all the other ones that bind up over time. I know, made in the USA but how about considering what their customers will have available? I’ve got 5-6 full sets of metric wrenches around but I have to find a 3/16”?

Personally, I would replace all of the bolts.
    With Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Personally, I would replace all of the bolts.
    With Ti.
    Nope. Anodized colored aluminum. Purple.

Name:  AEC5F647-5934-490F-9122-134595320F0C.jpeg
Views: 257
Size:  28.9 KB

When the “Alliance for the Wild Rockies” is filing suit on behalf of suburban homeowners’ recreation preference, I think it’s a pretty clear sign they’ve strayed from whatever their mission is.
    Who are they an alliance of? HOHA's and equestrians?