Page 194 of 241 FirstFirst ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 6002
    Finally, got my Tru Tune and I can't wait to see how it works and it's raining enough to float an ark.
    The local trails just dried out. Damn it.

The ROW thing...last night's ride is a fast one. Some of the fastest guys around are in it (not me, I'm 3/4 of the way back) but we came upon a guy walking two dogs. The lead guy stopped dead and we all let him walk by. It's just a common courtesy. I don't get what's so hard. And yeah, two guys got KOMs last night on well established Fort Rock trails. You can be fast and not an asshole.

On the other hand, I went for a ride the other night at our local network that's mostly directional trails, with hikers and bikers mostly separated. Despite a full parking lot at the trailhead, and despite the total mileage of the network being pretty small, I saw a grand total of one other person (at a big trail junction).

When everyone's moving in the same direction and hikers and bikers are separated on any trail where it matters, everyone gets to have fun, no one has to stop, and user conflict is minimal. The ROW rules still stand as normal, but the design of the network makes them all but irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Do you have the impossibly thin clear spacer that goes between the cassette an freehub body?
    Fuck me, I was doing some maintenance a few weeks ago and popped off my cassette to clean and grease everything again. When I put it back on I saw the plastic spacer and thought it was part of the packaging that I accidentally kept on. Not sure if I threw it away or if it's lost in my basement somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    On the other hand, I went for a ride the other night at our local network that's mostly directional trails, with hikers and bikers mostly separated. Despite a full parking lot at the trailhead, and despite the total mileage of the network being pretty small, I saw a grand total of one other person (at a big trail junction).

When everyone's moving in the same direction and hikers and bikers are separated on any trail where it matters, everyone gets to have fun, no one has to stop, and user conflict is minimal. The ROW rules still stand as normal, but the design of the network makes them all but irrelevant.
    We have a few places like that around here. Full trailhead parking lots... but yet you see very, very few.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Conflict is minimal until...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Nearly killed two people hiking up a designated downhill-only trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Finally, got my Tru Tune and I can't wait to see how it works and it's raining enough to float an ark.
    The local trails just dried out. Damn it.
    Subscribed. Really curious if this is good stuff, or Snake Oil.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Conflict is minimal until...
    There's a world of difference between an stravasshole smoking a hiker on a two way trail, and a biker who is doing everything legally who smokes a hiker in a place where the hiker isn't supposed to be.

There will always be people who don't follow the rules, and in so doing, create conflict. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort to design trail networks that maximize the enjoyment of the users while also minimizing potential conflict. Directional flow and separation of uses where prudent is the best way to do that.

There's a world of difference between an stravasshole smoking a hiker on a two way trail, and a biker who is doing everything legally who smokes a hiker in a place where the hiker isn't supposed to be.

There will always be people who don't follow the rules, and in so doing, create conflict. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort to design trail networks that maximize the enjoyment of the users while also minimizing potential conflict. Directional flow and separation of uses where prudent is the best way to do that.
    Oh I agree completely. It just sucks knowing there are dipshits who can't follow those simple rules and create seriously dangerous situations for all involved.

Oh I agree completely. It just sucks knowing there are dipshits who can't follow those simple rules and create seriously dangerous situations for all involved.
    Yeah. The worst is the dog walkers. A little while back I came off a blind drop only to see a lululemon clad 20-something scampering out of the landing with her decent sized dog completely unaware of his impending doom. By some combination of dumb luck and mid-air contortions, I missed the dog (and the lady). Apparently the multiple signs telling people to not walk up the trail just aren't convincing enough.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

There’s an insta clip floating around that I can’t find at the moment of a POV for a dude coming off a good sized jump and seeing a guy and a dog taking a break (iirc the guy is also looking at his phone)in the middle of the landing zone. A great friday fail entry for sure
    Last edited by mcski; 06-07-2023 at 06:00 PM.

Yeah. The worst is the dog walkers. A little while back I came off a blind drop only to see a lululemon clad 20-something scampering out of the landing with her decent sized dog completely unaware of his impending doom. By some combination of dumb luck and mid-air contortions, I missed the dog (and the lady). Apparently the multiple signs telling people to not walk up the trail just aren't convincing enough.
    Did you stop, and ask for her number?

I have a theory that I'm calling the "convoy effect" to explain this - if most people are riding in groups there's a lot less of a chance of crossing paths with anybody, same idea as sending ship convoys across the Atlantic in the world wars. So if there are 50 cars at the trailhead but only 50 groups, that's only 5 chances of crossing paths with anybody

Quote Originally Posted by McShortyShorts View Post
    I have a theory that I'm calling the "convoy effect" to explain this - if most people are riding in groups there's a lot less of a chance of crossing paths with anybody, same idea as sending ship convoys across the Atlantic in the world wars. So if there are 50 cars at the trailhead but only 50 groups, that's only 5 chances of crossing paths with anybody
    Let me introduce you to Utah high school mountain bike teams.

Did you stop, and ask for her number?
    I can think of no better way to smooth over any perceived conflict than to smite her with my charm and boyish good looks.

“How did you guys meet?”

“By accident…”

Well, gee, here goes, TMI
    After one of the the worst shit winters of my life…
    Dad died, Wife’s dad died, relationship in tatters, (she was a disaster about her dad) my kid coming out as possibly trans, no skiing, not a single day of the biggest winter ever, no sex in six months, gained weight. Doc this week diagnosed hypertension, I can to cut out salt and fats, and sugars for a while (food is my other great passion). I also can’t take Ibuprofen.
    OK, I can handle all of that, I am actually in a great place emotionally and spiritually, ok, whatever. Bring it on!
    Things are looking up, got in pretty good shape, riding strong, bought a bike park pass, weather finally getting nice…
    And then I break 4 ribs. Prognosis: 12 week recovery.
    Mother-fucker.

Maybe it’s the Oxy talking, but I’m a little disappointed right now.

Hope you are all having a better ‘23.
    Last edited by rideit; 06-07-2023 at 11:44 PM.

A+ rant rideit. Good luck with the ribs and the rest of life, that sounds like a quite eventful stretch you had last winter.. May I suggest a 12 week user name change to brokeit?

Ooof.

I'd try to say something funny, but laughing with broken ribs sucks.

Condolences, best wishes, good luck, and heal up.

The real kicker is that for once, it wasn’t me ripping around like an idiot.
    I was climbing uphill at .1 MPH.
    A tweener barreling downhill (blind corner) didn’t know how to use her brakes, and basically made me jump off my bike, and hug a tree, as it was really steep on the downhill side.
    I wasn’t really mad at her though, someone didn’t teach her how to ride, from what I could glean.
    I’m sure it was karma from those KOM attempts down Ferrin’s.

Ooftah. Sorry to hear that. I am now allowed to ride my FS 27.5 bike, on pavement and very carefully. Your attitude is commendable.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Damn rideit, hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So much drama out West
    crab in my shoe mouth

Sorry rideit that sucks

The real kicker is that for once, it wasn’t me ripping around like an idiot.
    I was climbing uphill at .1 MPH.
    A tweener barreling downhill (blind corner) didn’t know how to use her brakes, and basically made me jump off my bike, and hug a tree, as it was really steep on the downhill side.
    I wasn’t really mad at her though, someone didn’t teach her how to ride, from what I could glean.
    I’m sure it was karma from those KOM attempts down Ferrin’s.
    Oofda Amigo - sorry to hear. At least the pollen and grasses aren’t reeking havoc with allergies…. Heres to no sneezing