Page 77 of 247 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 6153
    My eyes water if it’s even remotely cool out. Goggles prevent that which is nice at speed. Never wear them cause they’re a pain, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yes, I know it's technically a two way trail. But 99% of traffic uses it one way to get back to the lot. It's a bad idea to ride it the "wrong" way at 930am on a packed Sunday morning... And then as the downhill rider you try to ride by me grinding uphill at a choke point between two trees hitting my bars and say "woah there". Then one of your brobrahs made a snarky AF comment to the two nice old guys on (illegal) ebikes just behind me on the trail.

Stop brining you herd to the bike park and leaving them! I love kids, but when unsupervised toddlers in diapers are unsupervised wandering around the pump track, someone is going to get hurt. I know your proud of your kid and their strider, but stay within six feet of them and don’t do laps with the other four kids while leaving a kid alone. Yes I went through the park for the first time this year Sunday. The whole “lets bring the eight kids to the park and ride some laps” thing is still a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    So... 5 weeks ago i dropped off a rockshox pike at my LBS to be serviced... i bought it used and it had some issues, a little bit of burn on one stanchion and was slow to rebound. About a week later they call and say it would be $350 to replace the stanchions or $150 for a rebuild (Canadian). As its a used fork, going on a backup bike i say just get it working and i'll be happy to get a season out of it (bought it cheap, knowing issues). Well it has now been a month and no word. the LBS is super busy with COVID 19 riders so i understand. i called several times, no answer, left VM, no answer. The shop constantly has 10-15 in line to enter so i don't want to interact with people just for them to tell me they still haven't fixed it. I post on their social media and they respond saying to send them an email, which i do and still no response...

at this point am i being too impatient? should i expect 5-6 weeks for a fork rebuild? are they ditching my work to sell the COVIDers new bikes?

Every interaction i've had with them i've been polite and understanding as they world is somewhat shit right now but i'm starting to feel like this is becoming a bit much. i just want to build that damn bike and ride it!
    Don't ever send suspension to lbs when there are actual suspension shops out there. Ion2 in Invermere does all brands and turn around is usually 1-2 days service. Booking online is easy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last rant for the week. If you want to bring your dog on your ride, cool. If you want to bring your poorly trained dog on your ride, probably not cool, but i personally have no problem with it as i freaking love dogs and am perfectly happy to stop and let fido put some muddy pawprints on me... and all trail dogs gotta learn sometime, though a responsible owner should choose the time and place accordingly.

But holy shit, put a goddamn collar on your fucking dog!!!! Why don't people put collars on their dogs? What is with that? Id say almost a 1/4 of trail dogs i see do not have collars, and i see "lost dog" or "found dog" posts on facebook fairly regularly that say the dog has no collar on. WTF!!!? Dogs get spooked, or dropped, or follow a smell, whatever, shit happens out in the woods sometimes, im not going to judge too harshly. But the pinnacle of irresponsible dog ownership is to not put a fucking collar with owner tags on your mutt when its out in public.

Quote Originally Posted by fullStack View Post
    Almost hit an unleashed dog head-on last week that was about 50 yards in front of its owner. I was only going about 15 mph but so was the dog; I panicked a bit and left a big skid mark on the trail (and nearly left another one in my shorts).
    I dealt with the exact same situation last fall and got verbally trounced by the owner despite the fact that he was 100% at fault. I was going down a popular trail and wasn't hauling much ass as there's always a rider or hiker hiding behind a bush waiting to jump in front of you. The dog literally teleported from the creekbed he was playing in to just under my wheel and I barely managed to dodge him. The owner was cresting a small hill and got to see his dog yelp and run off while I did my best to stay on the bike with 1 foot unclipped and my back wheel threatening to get to the front. Dude got all up in my face accusing me of running over his dog and riding out of control, neither of which were true. We were 100' from the trailhead which has a huge "LEASH YOUR FUCKING DOG" sign so I offered to walk down with him but he wasn't interested. I felt bad for the dog and still wish I had left a skid mark on the owners face.

New one for me yesterday: I was moving pretty fast down a tight and brushy trail that sees 0 traffic. I see some rustling in front of me and it's a kid running for his life looking like he's being chased by a sabertooth lionbear. Then I hear this terrifying buzzing and it dawns on me that one of us has disturbed the biggest nest of ground hornets in the world and we're both gonna die. Cue some out of control riding with the kid bobbing down the trail at full speed 5' in front of me. He eventually jumps off to the side and I notice a big remote in his hand. Turns out he was flying a drone and running away from me... Ooops.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    My eyes water if it’s even remotely cool out. Goggles prevent that which is nice at speed. Never wear them cause they’re a pain, though.
    Mine too. I was 'crying' before a pretty scary, big ski day in the mountains once and I don't think my friend was ever convinced my eyes were just watering that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I dealt with the exact same situation last fall and got verbally trounced by the owner despite the fact that he was 100% at fault. I was going down a popular trail and wasn't hauling much ass as there's always a rider or hiker hiding behind a bush waiting to jump in front of you. The dog literally teleported from the creekbed he was playing in to just under my wheel and I barely managed to dodge him. The owner was cresting a small hill and got to see his dog yelp and run off while I did my best to stay on the bike with 1 foot unclipped and my back wheel threatening to get to the front. Dude got all up in my face accusing me of running over his dog and riding out of control, neither of which were true. We were 100' from the trailhead which has a huge "LEASH YOUR FUCKING DOG" sign so I offered to walk down with him but he wasn't interested. I felt bad for the dog and still wish I had left a skid mark on the owners face.

New one for me yesterday: I was moving pretty fast down a tight and brushy trail that sees 0 traffic. I see some rustling in front of me and it's a kid running for his life looking like he's being chased by a sabertooth lionbear. Then I hear this terrifying buzzing and it dawns on me that one of us has disturbed the biggest nest of ground hornets in the world and we're both gonna die. Cue some out of control riding with the kid bobbing down the trail at full speed 5' in front of me. He eventually jumps off to the side and I notice a big remote in his hand. Turns out he was flying a drone and running away from me... Ooops.
    hahahahahaha, that second story creates a hilarious mental image.

As for dogs, i think people are too uptight about offleash dogs, but im a 100% dog lover. Accidents happen out there, and unless the rider actually went out of his/her way to hit my dog (doesnt happen in reality) any accident is my dogs fault. By the same token, if im riding a trail, ill slow down to pass dogs just like i would a human, but i expect they are trained to gtfo of the way and if i bump or hit it, that's on the owner. Or if someone comes up on my dog in a situation where they cant avoid him, they have every right to lean back and run his ass over. Of course, some simple common sense about when and were to bring my dog avoids 99% of these issues. When my dog was learning to be a trail dog i told buddies to buzz him with their front tire on climbs if he was in reach, and i once fully run him over on a downhill leaving Minion DHF tire marks on his side. He learned quickly to stay away from tires. I live in a dog heavy area and ive never had or seen an issue with a dog, its always the dogs human, or another human who doesnt like the fact a dog is offleash that emits aggression and danger. YMMV.

Yeah, drone kid is pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I live in a dog heavy area and ive never had or seen an issue with a dog, its always the dogs human, or another human who doesnt like the fact a dog is offleash that emits aggression and danger. YMMV.
    This times 100

My (local) observation is that the dogs and people here are relatively chill, but the unpickedup dog shit is annoying as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    When my dog was learning to be a trail dog i told buddies to buzz him with their front tire on climbs if he was in reach, and i once fully run him over on a downhill leaving Minion DHF tire marks on his side. He learned quickly to stay away from tires. I live in a dog heavy area and ive never had or seen an issue with a dog, its always the dogs human, or another human who doesnt like the fact a dog is offleash that emits aggression and danger. YMMV.
    Same. Dog quickly learned that a DHF to the butthole is unpleasant, and he should get out of the way.

If my dog got hit by a bike, it was his fault. And my fault for not training better and keeping him in control.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3394.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	330334
    This put a real damper on the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

Looks like a great excuse to get a real drive train. 12 speed shimano!

Frustration sets in when you don't recover from a minor fall reasonably quickly. When you're fkd up and a dozen times a day you get reminded that you're not 25 anymore it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

I have NX on my fat bike and it's been nothing but a headache. Ready to replace with Shimano.

Rant that didn't have one of these sooner

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    I have NX on my fat bike and it's been nothing but a headache. Ready to replace with Shimano.
    That's like saying "I have SLX and it sucks, time to replace with SRAM". Low end components are low end components. XO/XX are worlds above NX/GX, just like XT/XTR are worlds ahead of SLX/Deore.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    That's like saying "I have SLX and it sucks, time to replace with SRAM". Low end components are low end components. XO/XX are worlds above NX/GX, just like XT/XTR are worlds ahead of SLX/Deore.
    Yup, pretty much. And that NX is mangled. Suck a stick into the drivetrain, and the only thing that XTR will do is cost more to replace.

Things you might get with nicer parts that affect shift quality are bearings in the derailleur pulleys instead of bushings, and in the shifter what sram calls "zero loss." Like if you go feel an sx or nx shifter there's some play in the levers before they do anything. Nicer stuff doesn't have that. When I bought gx 11 speed awhile ago I couldn't really feel any difference between that and the nicer shifters. Derailleur has bearings, shifter has no free play, to me it seems crisp and works great (and I have a bike with dura-ace di2). The higher levels would have saved a tiny amount of weight and that's about it.

When I did 1x11 on the cx bike I just went with apex. The lever does have zero loss (10 speed rival and apex don't), but I was less than impressed with shift quality. Turns out there was a ton of play in the upper guide pulley. Replaced it with one that has a bearing and it works a lot better.
    Last edited by jamal; 06-04-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    SLX is more similar to XT than dissimilar.

I'd draw your "low end components" line a little differently -- everything at GX and up is decent; everything at SLX (maybe even Deore) and up is decent. Deore is pretty damn good -- I'd pick it over NX.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Rant that didn't have one of these sooner
    Just ordered one, thanks for the heads up!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Should be cross-posted with "Shit That Annoys You"
    When someone borrows your tent and returns it without cleaning it, so that there remains a bunch of fine UT desert red sand in the tent, zippers "frozen", due to an abundance of said sand, and a dried sticky substance on the tent floor. Finally, when I put up the tent in my yard to clean it out, I noticed that one of the longest allum. spines was bent. URRRRGHH!

.....Lesson learned
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    SLX is more similar to XT than dissimilar.

I'd draw your "low end components" line a little differently -- everything at GX and up is decent; everything at SLX (maybe even Deore) and up is decent. Deore is pretty damn good -- I'd pick it over NX.
    I’d be curious to try the new Deore 12 speed. That’s a slick drivetrain for the $$$.

You guys are hilarious.
    Sure, the NX RD is pretty low end. But we’re not talking about an ultralight cross country rig that I’m gonna be shifting a thousand times a day to keep my cadence at heart rate perfectly aligned.
    I go uphill. Then I turn around and I go downhill. I hit my dropper post lever more than my shifter.
    Meanwhile, the most important part of a clean shifting drivetrain is at the handlebar. Fortunately it’s not down at the rock bashing zone!
    Am I bummed it’s not Shimano? Yea kinda. An SLX RD would have been even cheaper to replace.
    You goons keep debating your pulley bearings and tight tolerances though! I’m just hoping I can get back out this weekend. I’m two bikes down right now!!

However many are in a shit ton.

How about a new debate, experts?

Acera vs Alivio: GO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^lol.

I dunno, I don't really have any problem with the NX on my bike, it works well enough. The brakes suck pretty bad though. Gotta replace both though because they use the old bar clamp that's not compatible with anything else new.