Page 136 of 238 FirstFirst ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 5949
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Any place you can get on your bike right out of your door and with a short pedal be able to access single track trails is world class.

I am so fucking over having to load a bike, drive 15-25 minutes, park and deal with a TH, unload the bike, ride and repeat. Don't get me wrong, I moved out of PC in 91 and have few regrets but I do miss that aspect.
    Yes. Let the hate flow. I love ranting about mtn biking in Bozeman. The idea of loading up a bike to ride any of the trails 30 - 50 minutes round trip driving distance from town...yeeesh. Hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Physics needs to make up its mind!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR10jYyJ4yE&t=5s

This just in: a shock that's not moving is just as efficient as a shock that's not moving. Someone should loan that guy a nice Ellsworth for his next test.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Any place you can get on your bike right out of your door and with a short pedal be able to access single track trails is world class.

I am so fucking over having to load a bike, drive 15-25 minutes, park and deal with a TH, unload the bike, ride and repeat. Don't get me wrong, I moved out of PC in 91 and have few regrets but I do miss that aspect.
    Right there with ya. While I dream of ski in/out access one day, I dream more of biking from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Right there with ya. While I dream of ski in/out access one day, I dream more of biking from my house.
    Its a lot more realistic

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I would like to say fuck you to COVID. Wife and I are vaxxed and she tested positive yesterday. We rented a 5bed/5bath house in Moab for my 40th for an adult trip (non refundable). Looks like mother in law isn't going to drive up and watch the kids anymore and who knows if we will be clear with multiple negative test by then:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...45#post6426945

Obviously, people dying is a bigger deal, but this one still sucks.
    Have you tried to get out of the rental? Most places are pretty lenient if someone tests positive.

Nov 7th can suck it. We should be setting the clocks FORWARD another hour if not 2, and then roll it back in March... I hate that it gets dark early, the depression and funk that goes with it adjusting to new hours. Screw waking up at 4am DPing to enjoy an hour of daylight before heading to work only to feel like a bag of dicks the rest of the day...it should never get dark before 8pm in winter and 9pm during summer.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    It is pretty great riding from the garage. Bought my current house specifically for ability to ride trails on my lunchbreak. I've ridden them hundreds of times and while now and then I toil over riding them again, 1/2 mile in always glad I did. Have 2 other trail systems w/in a long pedal (8 miles via rail trail or ~15 min drive) and others w/in half hour, so try and save the local for when I'm pressed on time.

The slight downsides are the repetitiveness while still fun, does become going through the motions a bit. Try to mix up the order/direction, which generally works. Also have 3 mountain bikes and rotate through, sometimes riding my CX bike as well. State park so I can't build new trails, but still will often take shovel/chainsaw out to spice a few things up or do some maintenance.

Ski in/out would be pretty weak in PA though, but we have some really good MTB terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    It is pretty great riding from the garage. Bought my current house specifically for ability to ride trails on my lunchbreak. I've ridden them hundreds of times and while now and then I toil over riding them again, 1/2 mile in always glad I did. Have 2 other trail systems w/in a long pedal (8 miles via rail trail or ~15 min drive) and others w/in half hour, so try and save the local for when I'm pressed on time.

The slight downsides are the repetitiveness while still fun, does become going through the motions a bit. Try to mix up the order/direction, which generally works. Also have 3 mountain bikes and rotate through, sometimes riding my CX bike as well. State park so I can't build new trails, but still will often take shovel/chainsaw out to spice a few things up or do some maintenance.

Ski in/out would be pretty weak in PA though, but we have some really good MTB terrain.
    Yep, same. Fairly lame, rolling trails in a state park but its a 35-40 minute out and back single-track lap depending on how i piece trails together. I will bring out the SS fully rigid bike with bald tires and only a rear brake sometimes just to spice it up... its actually much faster than my 170mm bike due to the up-down-up-down nature of the trails lends itself to standing and sprinting on the SS pedals the whole time. Its pretty cool, but at the same time, its hard to get excited about riding the same mediocre trails again for the 4th time that week. Especially when we have multiple world class trail systems within an hours drive... but, its also been awesome to slip out for a 40 minute ride after the newborn goes down for a nap and get back before my wife can get pissed that im gone.

I did get to build this trail up above an abandoned golf course over the 19-20 winter. Was a 25 minute lap from my Condo's front door... but i moved across town this past spring and never ride there anymore. i would love to have a "real" forest in my backyard to constantly be building trail in. https://www.trailforks.com/video/pb/536495/

That looks pretty fun.

Mine is good, just not great and can easily be 2hrs/15miles with everything. TF rated mostly blue and green w a few black trails and some jumps/features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FedEx. I've had 5 orders shipped through them in the last 3 weeks. All of them have failed to meet the expected delivery date by 2 to 7 days. Whenever I see that my shipment is in Troutdale, OR, I cringe. Fucking black hole of the shipping world.

As a commercial driver, I have an excellent understanding of how long it takes to get something somewhere via truck, so I get irritated when things are late. It has to be the transfer points fucking it all up.

Either way, fuck them. Do your jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    FedEx. I've had 5 orders shipped through them in the last 3 weeks. All of them have failed to meet the expected delivery date by 2 to 7 days. Whenever I see that my shipment is in Troutdale, OR, I cringe. Fucking black hole of the shipping world.

As a commercial driver, I have an excellent understanding of how long it takes to get something somewhere via truck, so I get irritated when things are late. It has to be the transfer points fucking it all up.

Either way, fuck them. Do your jobs.
    Fedex has been an unreal dumpster fire all summer. Troutdale is bad, but the Auburn spot is even worse (most of my stuff goes through both). As soon as something hits Auburn I know it's going to be a couple days late.

Last time I was near Auburn, there were signs all over the place saying Fedex was hiring. I think they're way understaffed.

Someone put this up at the beach near my house. People think dog shit is ok on the beach? So much dog shit. I want to put these signs everywhere. Especially trailheads.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I think an honest sign like that is way better than the ones stating Pet Waste Transmits Disease.
    I mean, your kid gets that shit in his mouth, the disease is on you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

reverb dropper posts.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    reverb dropper posts.
    It's impressive that Rockshox went from complete industry dominance in the dropper post department to essentially irrelevant, almost entirely due to their inability to make a post that lasted more than a season. (And because of their pointless hydraulic remote)

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It's impressive that Rockshox went from complete industry dominance in the dropper post department to essentially irrelevant, almost entirely due to their inability to make a post that lasted more than a season. (And because of their pointless hydraulic remote)
    To be fair, they also have the option for an equally pointless and even more expensive wireless remote.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Dropper post features, in order of importance:
    1. Min 125mm drop
    2. Reliable
    3. Light trigger
    4. Reliable
    5. Home serviceable by timid wrench
    6. Reliable
    7. Smooth operation
    8. Reliable
    9. Bells & Whistles

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Dropper post features, in order of importance:
    1. Min 125mm drop
    2. Reliable
    3. Light trigger
    4. Reliable
    5. Home serviceable by timid wrench
    6. Reliable
    7. Smooth operation
    8. Reliable
    9. Bells & Whistles

In all honesty, if the dropper isnt super duper reliable you arent losing anything by just having a quick release seatpost clamp. heck, it would just save a bunch of weight. +90% of the rides around me involve long +1500' sustained climbs, and then a (all too short) +1500' descent back down. I pretty much only use the dropper trigger at the bottom of trails when i pop out on the fire road again. The couple of places that do have rolling trails are mellow enough that riding a SS fully rigid is usually my go-to bike of choice and im typically out of the saddle hammering the pedals on any uphills. The only place where a dropper was truly "needed" for me has been on some longer alpine backcountry type rides... but out there reliability is even more important. so, basically fuck droppers unless they are super duper reliable, and when they break they should have a function that defaults to the fully extended position.

I had a faulty dropper that would randomly extend. this problem came about in the whistler bike park. A-line was terrifying. I ended up just depressurizing the post in the village so i didnt die the rest of the trip.

If i was building up another +160mm bike right now, and was balling on a budget, i think i would honestly skip the dropper and put that money into a better wheelset. For a lot of the stuff in the WA area, a dropper is just not all that helpful when you are only needing to extend the seatpost at the bottom of long climbs, and needing to lower it at the top of the long climbs.

In all honesty, if the dropper isnt super duper reliable you arent losing anything by just having a quick release seatpost clamp. heck, it would just save a bunch of weight. +90% of the rides around me involve long +1500' sustained climbs, and then a (all too short) +1500' descent back down. I pretty much only use the dropper trigger at the bottom of trails when i pop out on the fire road again. The couple of places that do have rolling trails are mellow enough that riding a SS fully rigid is usually my go-to bike of choice and im typically out of the saddle hammering the pedals on any uphills. The only place where a dropper was truly "needed" for me has been on some longer alpine backcountry type rides... but out there reliability is even more important. so, basically fuck droppers unless they are super duper reliable, and when they break they should have a function that defaults to the fully extended position.

I had a faulty dropper that would randomly extend. this problem came about in the whistler bike park. A-line was terrifying. I ended up just depressurizing the post in the village so i didnt die the rest of the trip.

If i was building up another +160mm bike right now, and was balling on a budget, i think i would honestly skip the dropper and put that money into a better wheelset. For a lot of the stuff in the WA area, a dropper is just not all that helpful when you are only needing to extend the seatpost at the bottom of long climbs, and needing to lower it at the top of the long climbs.
    On the other hand, if you asked me if I'd rather give up my dropper post or my drivetrain (and just go single speed), I'd have to think about it a bit. I guess it just depends where you live / what you ride.

On the other hand, if you asked me if I'd rather give up my dropper post or my drivetrain (and just go single speed), I'd have to think about it a bit. I guess it just depends where you live / what you ride.
    Interestingly, i would also be very much in favor of a 5spd drivetrain with MASSIVE jumps between gears. I really only use my granny gear, the next gear down, a middleish gear, and then my biggest gear on downhills/bikepark/shuttling. out of my 11spd drivetrain, probably 7 of those cogs have seen less than a mile of use in 3 years. Probably goes back to not having rolly trails, and instead just settling in to the long uphill grind.

Very much this. Dropper is critical these days. Even on rides with long climbs and long descents, and clear delineations between the two, I still drop the seat for log crossings, techy sections, etc.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I’m with toast on this one. Modern dropper posts are so fun. I’ve had great luck with my bikeyoke revive. Have heard good things about transfers for reliability. And it seems like even a lot of the budget ones now are pretty reliable and easy to service.

Interestingly, i would also be very much in favor of a 5spd drivetrain with MASSIVE jumps between gears. I really only use my granny gear, the next gear down, a middleish gear, and then my biggest gear on downhills/bikepark/shuttling. out of my 11spd drivetrain, probably 7 of those cogs have seen less than a mile of use in 3 years. Probably goes back to not having rolly trails, and instead just settling in to the long uphill grind.
    That belongs in the million $$ idea thread I think. I want that drivetrain.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    That belongs in the million $$ idea thread I think. I want that drivetrain.
    I, too, would love to have a wide range "smaller" drivetrain - 5sp, 7sp... something.

WRT dropper posts - what if I told you, while being able to drop the seat on descents is nice, it's not the *most* important advantage of a dropper post, at least for me.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident