Page 76 of 247 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 6153
    Single speed chains. I'm trying to find the right mix of strong, quiet, reasonably priced. I don't need suggestions, I've tried them all and only ever get 2 out of 3.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Single speed chains. I'm trying to find the right mix of strong, quiet, reasonably priced. I don't need suggestions, I've tried them all and only ever get 2 out of 3.
    The only bad SS chain I ever had was a so called singlespeed chain - I think it was a SRAM PC1. Noisy, wore fast.

I think I have a 9 speed SRAM chain on my SS now. Any cheap 8 or 9 speed one should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

So... 5 weeks ago i dropped off a rockshox pike at my LBS to be serviced... i bought it used and it had some issues, a little bit of burn on one stanchion and was slow to rebound. About a week later they call and say it would be $350 to replace the stanchions or $150 for a rebuild (Canadian). As its a used fork, going on a backup bike i say just get it working and i'll be happy to get a season out of it (bought it cheap, knowing issues). Well it has now been a month and no word. the LBS is super busy with COVID 19 riders so i understand. i called several times, no answer, left VM, no answer. The shop constantly has 10-15 in line to enter so i don't want to interact with people just for them to tell me they still haven't fixed it. I post on their social media and they respond saying to send them an email, which i do and still no response...

at this point am i being too impatient? should i expect 5-6 weeks for a fork rebuild? are they ditching my work to sell the COVIDers new bikes?

Every interaction i've had with them i've been polite and understanding as they world is somewhat shit right now but i'm starting to feel like this is becoming a bit much. i just want to build that damn bike and ride it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    So... 5 weeks ago i dropped off a rockshox pike at my LBS to be serviced... i bought it used and it had some issues, a little bit of burn on one stanchion and was slow to rebound. About a week later they call and say it would be $350 to replace the stanchions or $150 for a rebuild (Canadian). As its a used fork, going on a backup bike i say just get it working and i'll be happy to get a season out of it (bought it cheap, knowing issues). Well it has now been a month and no word. the LBS is super busy with COVID 19 riders so i understand. i called several times, no answer, left VM, no answer. The shop constantly has 10-15 in line to enter so i don't want to interact with people just for them to tell me they still haven't fixed it. I post on their social media and they respond saying to send them an email, which i do and still no response...

at this point am i being too impatient? should i expect 5-6 weeks for a fork rebuild? are they ditching my work to sell the COVIDers new bikes?

Every interaction i've had with them i've been polite and understanding as they world is somewhat shit right now but i'm starting to feel like this is becoming a bit much. i just want to build that damn bike and ride it!
    Get your fork back and take it to a different LBS. They've clearly forgotten about it or don't really want to work on it. Or, they lost it. 5-6 weeks for fork service is ridiculous.

It’s my understanding they send it away, maybe to sram directly? So my theory is that it’s sitting at sram ( or wherever they sent it) and the work order was never given to them, it’s at the LBS and no one has inventoried it properly or the last option it is lost.

Either way I just want a damn answer

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don’t think taking 5 weeks is nearly as horrible as the zero communication part. Not sure how they do shit up in Canadia, but I expect to be treated well down here. Completely unacceptable.
    At this point, wait in line, call, or do whatever it takes to get someone’s ear. Let them know that ignoring you was a big mistake. Let the manager know. Let the owner know. Fuck that.

However many are in a shit ton.

Fucking Wilderness Trail Bikes is a terrible name for a bike company. First, naming a bike company after the one place where bikes aren't allowed to go is dumb. Second, every time someone posts up a "Want to Buy" thread that says "WTB Kona Honzo," (or whatever) my brain goes down a stupid circular fartpath. "Oh, I didn't realize that WTB had started making a product called the Kona Honzo. That's dumb that WTB is making a product called the Kona Honzo, because Kona makes the Kona Honzo. Oh right, this person just wants to buy a Honzo, and stupid Wilderness Trail Bikes isn't going to be involved in the transaction at all. I'm the stupid one here. But WTB is still a dumb name for a bike company."

The wilderness is my favorite place to mountain bike. Not Wilderness, but wilderness. Well, sometimes Wilderness when I make a wrong turn. No problem with the name here. Can't say I've ever looked at a forum thread starting with WTB [insert product here] and mistakenly thought it had anything to do with WTB the company.

Was riding up a tight singletrack climbing trail in my neighborhood last night and some obvious techy had some big heaphones on with music apparently blasting. I tried every warning i know starting with backpedaling to make the hub buzz, escalating all the way to full on screaming as loud as i could to the point of being embarrassed "EXCUUUUSSSEE ME, SIIRRRRRR!!!!!!". The guy finally turned around startled, then sheepish, then pointed to his headphones. Whatever.

Finished my lap, and realized i had time for round two. Headed back up and encountered the same dude 3/4 of the way up. Same exact thing. Had to end up screaming again, so as i passed i politely told him he should turn the music down so he can hear other trail users. I doubt he did. Probably turned the volume down but the noise canceling up.

I always ask them if they saw or heard the rattlesnake that was right next to the trail a ways back. No? Well turn your damn music down then. They usually pay attention to that.

My latest rant is directed at myself for apparently having some sort of mental block and perpetually having to stare at my bike like I’m Alan Turing cracking the enigma code every damn time I need to switch pedals or tweak my barrel adjusters.. I’m about ready for some momento style forearm tattoos.

WTB a more comfortable saddle. Get it? Get it? Because their saddles a junk! It’s a clever play on words if you will.

Shouldn’t it be called Wilderness Trail Bike Cockpit Components (WTBCC), since they don’t make actual bikes?

However many are in a shit ton.

They did make bikes once upon a time ago...

And they make a lot of tires, which aren't really Cockpit Components.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My inability to remember for longer than 2 seconds which way I turned the barrel adjuster. It's like I'm playing roulette every time I fiddle with my goddamn derailleur.

Why can’t I figure out why it’s so cool to ride without gloves for the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    My inability to remember for longer than 2 seconds which way I turned the barrel adjuster. It's like I'm playing roulette every time I fiddle with my goddamn derailleur.
    The easiest way I use to explain it to a customers was:
    If your rear derailleur is having trouble moving to the bigger gears (to the left) and needs more cable pull to get to that gear, you screw the barrels adjuster out so it moves to the left.
    If your rear derailleur is having trouble moving to a smaller gear (to the right) and needs less cable pull to get to that gear, you screw the barrels adjuster in so it moves to the right.
    And if you have a front derailleur, a new bike that would fit you is right over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Why can’t I figure out why it’s so cool to ride without gloves?
    Edited slightly.

That, plus socks up to your knees, plus goggles + pads on regular trail rides...

Enduro = bad fashion.

I'll occasionally wear goggles with a trail bike helmet for the descents if I think it's going to be muddy and I don't want to spend the whole time trying to blink mud out of one or both eyes, but I certainly agree it looks dumb and I don't do it often. It's just a practical choice in certain conditions. Glasses don't seal around your face as well, I've gotten dirt clods in my eyes despite wearing them.

I don't really get gloveless, but to each their own.

To get back on topic (ranting): trunnion shocks. Whoever thought it was a good idea to change the mounting to put bolts in single shear with the female threads in the aluminum shock body should be fired into the sun. My ride got cut short yesterday because my buddy (probably) let one of his bolts get a little loose, and it ripped out of the shock body.

Gloveless + full face + armor = moran.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    The easiest way I use to explain it to a customers was:
    If your rear derailleur is having trouble moving to the bigger gears (to the left) and needs more cable pull to get to that gear, you screw the barrels adjuster out so it moves to the left.
    If your rear derailleur is having trouble moving to a smaller gear (to the right) and needs less cable pull to get to that gear, you screw the barrels adjuster in so it moves to the right.
    And if you have a front derailleur, a new bike that would fit you is right over here.
    Thanks for the tip. That's the exact sort of stupid trick I need to remember.
    Last edited by John_B; 05-23-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Just finished up some trail work and maintenance, basically first comment on the post about the trail being re-opened is someone complaining about it, and wondering if we're not done.

Funny thing is that was intentional, and we left a lot of it just scraped off organic material to let people go wherever through steep and off camber stumpy and rooty sections so that lines will get ridden in naturally. There are smoother in-sloped parts to get you on the new stuff with speed, and some catch berms to get you out of them, but we took out three smooth, banked switchbacks.
    Last edited by jamal; 05-23-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Just finished up some trail work and maintenance, basically first comment on the post about the trail being re-opened is someone complaining about it, and wondering if we're not done.

Funny thing is that was intentional, and we left a lot of it just scraped off organic material to let people go wherever through steep and off camber stumpy and rooty sections so that lines will get ridden in naturally. There are smoother in-sloped parts to get you on the new stuff with speed, and some catch berms to get you out of them, but we took out three smooth, banked switchbacks.
    I tell complainypants: if you're not a trailbuilder I don't care what you have to say. And if you're a trailbuilder you know I don't care what you have to say

The most civil way to deal with those scenarios I learned from a friend.. Tell them this joke:

Q. How do you piss off a mtn biker?

A. Build'em a trail.

Usually works although every once in a while you get the dude who laughs at the joke and then goes right back to bitching

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post

Saw that post. I haven't ridden the trail (new or old version), but all the changes sound rad. Fuck that guy.