Page 78 of 247 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 6159
    Besides being heavy as fuck, the NX on my wife's bike is functional. The cassette doubles nicely as a boat anchor.

just kicked a dog.

biking up a hill, little shit dog on a extension leash charges, yanks the leash out of the owners hand.
    dog is going full apeshit biting at me - ride on trying to ignore it, figure it will quit if I move on like most do.
    leash got caught up in disc and derailleur somehow. felt a tug and look bag to see the dog take a roll on the ground.
    leash snapped, i stopped to remove the lines hanging in my derailleur, look at the owner but don't say anything. owner doesn't grab dog.
    ride on.
    dog comes raging at me again.
    sole of shoe to end of nose gave it pause.

Too many idiot dog owners. Just thinking about this today. Have you ever seen a Chihuahua that is actually trained? One that isn't a raging yiping idiot?

Yeah, 1 and 1 only.

Lives next door to me and owned by fellow Maggots wife. Stella is a really sweet dog.

Most of those Chihuahuas should be used as target practice.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I was riding on a mixed use trail a few years ago when I noticed a German Shepard sprinting at me head on from a distance. Its owner was franticly chasing after it and shouting “He will bite you”. I jumped off my bike and used it as a barrier between the dog and me. Then her second large dog comes trotting up but seemed calm. She’s yelling at the dog, getting it more riled up. Its snapping at me over the top tube like im a threat to its owner. I started to run with my bike then jumped on and stood up to pedal and try and out run it. It bit my back tire slowing me down, then bit me in the ass puncturing skin. Then I finally built up enough speed to outpace it. I really wish I could have got her information to report what happened, but there was no way to safely do so.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’m sure I missed a rant post 30 pages back, about how chainring manufacturers have addressed the widespread proliferation of manufacturer-specific direct mount chainring interfaces, which were intended to replace spiders, by making manufacturer-specific spiders.

Facepalm!!!!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

My latest rant has to do with the fact that I waited so fucking long to set my Eagle GX POS drivetrain on fire. I never managed to get it to behave properly, tuning it to shift well in the high gears meant some rattling and skipping in the low gears and vice & versa. Shifting under load was the best way I found to announce myself to other riders, the noise that thing could make was downright terrifying. Since I got the bike used (300 miles) I figured the previous owner had smashed the derailleur a few times and bent things. I replaced the hanger but it didn't do anything. The cassette was in tip top shape, same for the chain, and yet I couldn't get the fucker to work And we're not talking about working perfectly here, we're talking about doing the minimum a derailleur should do, ie shift and maintain a gear without sounding like a brass band.

I just switched the drivetrain to XT (derailleur/cassette/chain/shifter, kept my Garbaruk oval), and the difference is mind-blowing. I mounted the derailleur, set the limit screw, clamped the cable, and got better shifting under load that I've ever had with the GX when spinning on flats. Literally nothing to adjust on the XT, perfect out of the box for 2/3 of the price of a GX groupset.
    Shimano might have been late to the 12-speed party but at this point it's not just stealing SRAM's lunch, it's moving into its house and demanding its mom make it a sandwich!

How'd your Ace Ventura'd cassette situation turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    My latest rant has to do with the fact that I waited so fucking long to set my Eagle GX POS drivetrain on fire. I never managed to get it to behave properly, tuning it to shift well in the high gears meant some rattling and skipping in the low gears and vice & versa. Shifting under load was the best way I found to announce myself to other riders, the noise that thing could make was downright terrifying. Since I got the bike used (300 miles) I figured the previous owner had smashed the derailleur a few times and bent things. I replaced the hanger but it didn't do anything. The cassette was in tip top shape, same for the chain, and yet I couldn't get the fucker to work And we're not talking about working perfectly here, we're talking about doing the minimum a derailleur should do, ie shift and maintain a gear without sounding like a brass band.

I just switched the drivetrain to XT (derailleur/cassette/chain/shifter, kept my Garbaruk oval), and the difference is mind-blowing. I mounted the derailleur, set the limit screw, clamped the cable, and got better shifting under load that I've ever had with the GX when spinning on flats. Literally nothing to adjust on the XT, perfect out of the box for 2/3 of the price of a GX groupset.
    Shimano might have been late to the 12-speed party but at this point it's not just stealing SRAM's lunch, it's moving into its house and demanding its mom make it a sandwich!
    The new shimano shifts so much better than Sram it is astounding.
    No issues with the non shimano chainring and the Shimano masterlink?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So I started working at my LBS in March, two weeks pre-Covid, as a part-time job to supplement my primary money maker and get cheap bikes/parts. With Covid my main job went away and the bike shop quickly escalated into full time and it has been a HELLISH 3 months of non-stop, no breaks, haven't worked this hard since I was a rig pig in my early 20s.

I really should have jumped on it sooner but had to wait on my main ride to sell before starting to build something new. Over the last few weeks, more and more of our companies and distributors have been pulling employee pricing from us to cover paying customers. Somewhat understandable but wow does it ever feel like a kick in the nuts after working our asses off to sell their product to be denied the ONE perk we have from a near minimum wage paying job.

So peeps, PLEASE be patient and kind with your local bike shop employees, I'm not sure you have any idea what they've been through over the last three months and how little (if any) incentive or reward they are getting out of it. There are only a few people benefitting from the current situation and that is the store and company owners. I've especially noticed lately much more impatience from customers now that riding season is here and people don't seem to grasp the lack of control and supply chain issues we face. Please know that your local bike shop employee is NOT riding his/her bike now or even getting cheap gear out of the situation.

Rant over.

I tried to see what chains were even available with QBP.
    It was like, three off brand 6 speed chains only. (I am only slightly exaggerating)
    Forget about a fork, or a dropper or what have you.
    Holee fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    How'd your Ace Ventura'd cassette situation turn out?
    In the end astounding customer service from the British shop I got it from. I emailed them the pics, they DHLed a replacement the next day and asked for a receipt so they can refund me the shipping of the damaged cassette. I told them that was unnecessary (they shipped my order for free and the cassette was on sale for around $100 which is dirt cheap) but they told me that's how it would be.
    New cassette arrived yesterday AM and was promptly installed and ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The new shimano shifts so much better than Sram it is astounding.
    No issues with the non shimano chainring and the Shimano masterlink?
    None. I was a bit concerned based on what I've read here since I also replaced the chainring and the whole drivetrain was brand new. I used the Shimano link (some recommenced using a SRAM one), everything went great on the bike stand and even better once on the trail. The only sub-par shift I got was coming out of a downhill switchback I didn't see (W facing trail at sunset) and having to upshift 4 cogs at once while standing on the cranks to make it up a small climb. There was some mild protest from the rear derailleur for one spin of the crank then everything was smooth again. My GX derailleur would have unscrewed itself from the frame and punched me in the dick while making car-crash noises if I had tried that move...

I’d like to rant about myself. Fork service went perfect, had a strong beer. I’m OCD about caliper alignment, it either goes well or sucks chode sideways. After getting dick slapped a bit on the caliper, brake line was routed 100% wrong. Back to the dog and pony show again…………..
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Buy new bike. Shop suggests I spring for a proprietary Bontrager rim strip instead of gorilla tape. Sure. It's a new bike. I'm gonna treat myself and pay the $ to get the good shit. Strips arrive. They just don't fit into the rim. They're so close to fitting though it must be my fault for not installing them correctly, right? I waste like 3 different sessions in the garage trying to get them to work, and do 2 annoying rides on wobbly tires that just aren't seated correctly. It finally dawns on me that maybe, just maybe the shop didn't order the right size rim strip. Look it up online. In 2 seconds I realize they ordered me the 29er 19mm strip. I needed the 700c 17.5mm. Ugh. I'd love those hours back that I wasted trying to get those stupid strips to fit.

Brand new fancy full suspension carbon frame with 300 miles on it starts creaking. BB, cranks, chainring, headset, cassette, seat and all linkage bolts removed, cleaned, grease then reinstalled.

Still creaking. Fuck you bike, I’m out of ideas.

I guess I’ll just tear it apart piece by piece and rebuild it.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Brand new fancy full suspension carbon frame with 300 miles on it starts creaking. BB, cranks, chainring, headset, cassette, seat and all linkage bolts removed, cleaned, grease then reinstalled.

Is it the seat?

Creaking drives me bat shit crazy. I feel like I should be able to overcome it mentally, but it is chalkboard torture that slices my cranium.

Brand new? Take it back to the shop you purchased it from and let them sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Is it the seat?

Creaking drives me bat shit crazy. I feel like I should be able to overcome it mentally, but it is chalkboard torture that slices my cranium.
    No, that was my first thought because it only creaks when I'm sitting and pedaling. I even put a new seat on and no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Brand new? Take it back to the shop you purchased it from and let them sort it out.
    I'm sure I'll resort to his after a few more hours of swearing and troubleshooting in my garage. I'm stubborn and don't bring my bikes to a shop unless I've run out of DIY solutions.

Shops are also crazy backed up with repairs around here.

SRAM: We go to 50!
    Shimano: 51!
    SRAM: 52!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'd like to rant about how cassettes are $200

Isn't that Eagle 52 four fiddy?

No, that was my first thought because it only creaks when I'm sitting and pedaling. I even put a new seat on and no luck.

I'm sure I'll resort to his after a few more hours of swearing and troubleshooting in my garage. I'm stubborn and don't bring my bikes to a shop unless I've run out of DIY solutions.

Shops are also crazy backed up with repairs around here.
    Seatpost/frame?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I kept having this happen on a pipeline one of my kids rides. Finally put lock tight on the threaded interface with the sprocket and it stopped. Still the same torque, but it got rid of the creak? Race face crank assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    I'd like to rant about how cassettes are $200
    Yeah, really cheap ones!

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Seatpost/frame?
    Probably the only part I haven't checked, I'll give that a go later.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I kept having this happen on a pipeline one of my kids rides. Finally put lock tight on the threaded interface with the sprocket and it stopped. Still the same torque, but it got rid of the creak? Race face crank assembly.
    Loctite on the chaining direct mount threads? I've had these creak before due it being not tight enough so it was the first thing I checked.