Page 32 of 241 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Fox Live Suspension....... curiously absent from the World Cup XC or DH scene.
    Cunningham review suggests that its biggest advantage is for people who forget to un-lock-out their climb-switch. $3K WIN!!!!!!
    However many are in a shit ton.

This is a good thread. The title always makes me think of the Mr. Rogers theme song...

You'll have things you'd like to rant about
    I will too.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Fox Live Suspension....... curiously absent from the World Cup XC or DH scene.
    DH makes total sense. XC is a bit more puzzling, but it is added weight so I guess that's also logical.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Cunningham review suggests that its biggest advantage is for people who forget to un-lock-out their climb-switch. $3K WIN!!!!!!
    Ha! Wow....

So, it only affects LSC? Call me supremely underwhelmed then.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    get some stanchion lube. that shit works.
    FWIW, I've been using Finish Line Max Suspension spray for a while but I get the best results in terms of suppleness by leaving it on rather than wiping it off, contrary to the instructions. I do the following before every ride that involves a short drive to a trailhead:

1) Quickly clean the stanchions and rear shock with an isopropyl alcohol solution from a small spray bottle. Spray and wipe.

2) Spray a small amount of Suspension spray around the bottom half of the stanchions close to the wiper seals, then compress the fork, and wipe the gunk that is lifted from under the seals.

3) Lightly spray the stanchion again and leave it on without wiping. Skip step 3 if riding immediately.

It doesn't take much so a 12oz can will last a long time if sprayed lightly using short bursts. I don't know if fork seals have improved but ever since I started doing this the old Fox Gold oil still looks mostly clean during the annual service.

I got up early the other morning to go for a ride and it was pretty cool, around the mid 40’s. So I broke out my new full fingered gloves.
    They have a coating on the finger tips that one can only assume is there for grip. Well they obviously never tested them in the cold because they were fucking slick and my fingers kept slipping when I went to shift, brake or adjust my seat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7150.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	245664

Last night I was like I’m gonna get all Doddy from GMBN on this shit and I covered all my levers with a little grip tape. Well today was warmer and I rode with my 1/2 gloves. After an hour or so I got to a new zone so I got out my phone to check the map and I could not get my phone to work.

Finally I realized what was up. The grip tape had completely removed my finger prints. I had to use my ring finger and pinky. Ha.

Name:	IMG_7151.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	841.9 KB 
ID:	245665

Name:	IMG_7153.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	791.6 KB 
ID:	245666
    I used a little rock and sanded it down.
    More funny than annoying except for the gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What's with the trend of going off trail to "explore new zones" and bombing own scree slopes in videos? Stay on the trail shit heads!

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    What's with the trend of going off trail to "explore new zones" and bombing own scree slopes in videos? Stay on the trail shit heads!

Agreed! And not so much the pros but pro bros who try to copy said video and then post Instagram clip mashing brakes 5mph down a steep scree slope. Like, dude, I could do that same radical maneuver when I was 10yrs old on my BMX bike down a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    FWIW, I've been using Finish Line Max Suspension spray for a while but I get the best results in terms of suppleness by leaving it on rather than wiping it off, contrary to the instructions. I do the following before every ride that involves a short drive to a trailhead:

1) Quickly clean the stanchions and rear shock with an isopropyl alcohol solution from a small spray bottle. Spray and wipe.

2) Spray a small amount of Suspension spray around the bottom half of the stanchions close to the wiper seals, then compress the fork, and wipe the gunk that is lifted from under the seals.

3) Lightly spray the stanchion again and leave it on without wiping. Skip step 3 if riding immediately.

It doesn't take much so a 12oz can will last a long time if sprayed lightly using short bursts. I don't know if fork seals have improved but ever since I started doing this the old Fox Gold oil still looks mostly clean during the annual service.
    FWIW, I never do anything remotely close to this.
    Sometimes if I load the bike I see some dried mud from the previous ride on the uppers. And I rub it off with my hand. Not so much like I’m jerkin it, more like I’m gettin the pee dribbles out.
    I’m the winter, I’ll try to find a window when I’m away from the bike for a couple weeks, and I send the forks or shocks in for service.
    Shit feels awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Independent local bike shop I’ve been going to for 30 years wants to charge me $10 for a bike box they’re just going to be throwing away. I went over to the big chain and they were happy to let me pick from about 20 boxes for free.

They sometimes do that here...FREE in the spring and summer, charge for them in the winter.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

At my old store in NYC if you showed up and a bike was just pulled out of a box to be built you were encouraged to take it right then and there because we had to break them down right away and get them out of the way. If you asked us to hold it we were going to ask for $10. Space comes at a premium especially when you can't put it outside the back door for a while because there isn't one. If you were willing to take a box that had already been folded flat great it was free. We used to go through 100+ a week and they'd get folded down and stuffed into other boxes, some people would come by at night when they were out on the sidewalk for recycling pickup in the morning and pull the broken down boxes out of the good one and leave them laying there, the pickup guys wouldn't take them that way and there would frequently be a $125 littering ticket on the door waiting for me when I opened.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Independent local bike shop I’ve been going to for 30 years wants to charge me $10 for a bike box they’re just going to be throwing away. I went over to the big chain and they were happy to let me pick from about 20 boxes for free.
    Sounds like beer money for the monkey wrenchers to me.

The rain. The never ending fucking rain. It’s amazing how much more wear and tear there is when everything is constantly wet and gritty.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

What is this “rain” you speak of. I’m not familiar with the concept (or at least haven’t seen it in months).

That's that shiny stuff I see on the TV I think.

My hound rolled in bear shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    My hound rolled in bear shit.
    I feel your pain. Ours rolled in some skunk shit. Ugh.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I feel your pain. Ours rolled in some skunk shit. Ugh.
    We had a Siberian husky growing up who loved all things stinky. Camping in Leavenworth - she rolled in dead fish guts. Neighbor had cows - she literally stood under a stream of cow piss and rolled in cow pies. I don't recall her ever finding a skunk to get sprayed by though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    she rolled in dead fish guts.
    I gotta keep a close eye on my pup around rivers and lakes where people fish for this reason. he just loves that stuff. It stinks terribly, and it takes a long time for the smell to get out.

People who build trails with turns that are SOOOOO HARD everyone has to take an alternate line

Not much I can do here but dig a huge fucking hole and hope the retards fall in it and get buried

^^Sometimes when an alternate line forms you've got to wonder if maybe that's where the line should have been in the first place.

^^ is it primarily a climb or a descent? If it's a descent, it seems like just making the outside edge on camber would likely fix the issue.

Looks to me people are avoiding that huge drop on the outside and going inside on the way down instead. That is ridiculous. Or they are going up and don't want to pop a wheel up that massive cliff?

This is a climbing trail. People are scared of rocks around here. This little step up is way too HUGE. Should have labelled the trail Black diamond to keep the punters off of it
    Last edited by evdog; 09-26-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: stupid android autocorrect