Page 82 of 241 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 6022
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    People naturally want to be in an exclusive group. And the best way to feel exclusive, and use it to increase your feelings of self worth is to spend as much time as possible making arguments supporting your superiority over the other, less deserving group. Eventually the comparison evolves into rationalizing why your group is entitled to more stuff and preferential treatment across the board.
    This applies to religion, race, politics just as much as it does to cyclists.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You can go ahead and cut / paste that into the e-bike thread.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Get a squat rack, stick it in a spare bedroom or the garage. Done and done. No gym time. Lift for 15-20 minutes then beer. Twice a week. More for the beer part. Win a tire.

Easy.
    How long do you think one of those would last outside in the driveway in a place that gets ~48" of rain a year? Two months maybe? Nope no extra bedroom, 4 people in a 2 bedroom house, and the ceiling in what used to be the garage is 6'2" so you couldn't lift weights over your head. Next...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    How long do you think one of those would last outside in the driveway in a place that gets ~48" of rain a year? Two months maybe? Nope no extra bedroom, 4 people in a 2 bedroom house, and the ceiling in what used to be the garage is 6'2" so you couldn't lift weights over your head. Next...
    Kettlebells.

If you guys don't want to use 1-2 hours a week on strength training that's fine but just say so. It'll make a world of difference especially as you get older.

Just because you can't go Drago doesn't mean you can't do Rocky.

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Just because you can't go Drago doesn't mean you can't do Rocky.

'MERICA!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Ha! not saying you are wrong, that's a good point/burn, but the reason my fitness sucks goes way beyond that. But yeah, instead of typing on some dumb forum tonight I could be working out and making biking more enjoyable instead of whining about how I used to be in shape.

And I'm FINALLY pretty open to the idea of weightlifting this fall for ski season, even though it's stupid and boring, you just can't ski fast and land anything and avoid injuries out of shape. I can't get into shape the right way anymore: by skiing a lot. And I have read your points in another thread on how great weightlifting is when you get older, you have convinced me there. OK fine I guess I'm grudgingly saying you are right without saying it directly.

I hold the line at rollers though. #neveronce
    I've been doing upper body work for 35 years now, and definitely to the detriment to cycling. No way you need or should have all that weight and mass up there while on the bike. Look at any pro cyclist, and they are scary skinny above the waist. I saw a picture recently of Chris Froome with his jersey off during what had to be a grand tour race (had that tan, too), and it wasn't nice. Concentration camp style. I read that Lance didn't even do sit ups after he rebuilt his body from the cancer. No wonder those guys break like twigs when they crash.

But, it's awesome protection from skiing impacts. Maybe ten times I've gotten up after a bad one and thought, sure glad I do weights. Had a bad one this winter when I went tumbling in super icy Vermont bumps, and directly impacted my left shoulder big time. Had me kneeling for a minute or two, hoping it wasn't bad, and, eventually, it wasn't. Had the padding. Otherwise, probably screwed for the rest of what little time I have left.

Besides, chicks dig shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I've been doing upper body work for 35 years now, and definitely to the detriment to cycling. No way you need or should have all that weight and mass up there while on the bike. Look at any pro cyclist, and they are scary skinny above the waist. I saw a picture recently of Chris Froome with his jersey off during what had to be a grand tour race (had that tan, too), and it wasn't nice. Concentration camp style. I read that Lance didn't even do sit ups after he rebuilt his body from the cancer. No wonder those guys break like twigs when they crash.
    *whoosh*

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

But, it's awesome protection from skiing impacts. Maybe ten times I've gotten up after a bad one and thought, sure glad I do weights. Had a bad one this winter when I went tumbling in super icy Vermont bumps, and directly impacted my left shoulder big time. Had me kneeling for a minute or two, hoping it wasn't bad, and, eventually, it wasn't. Had the padding. Otherwise, probably screwed for the rest of what little time I have left.

Besides, chicks dig shoulders.
    Being able to crush HC-rated climbs is much different than the core and upper arm strength and endurance needed to float the handlebars and keep the front wheel planted down high speed chunder, into tight berms, and smashing off of boulders ... and most of this sub-forum chatter is dedicated to the latter type of riding. I think some upper body and core strength does MTBing real benefits, while I never needed it when I was a 100% roadie.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I'm doing my best to remain calm and it's really fucking hard!

New bike day! Yeah!

Reverb does not work...at all. Pulled seat made sure was 250lbs and still nothing. Needs a bleed? Needs the dumpster!!

Fuck you reverb pos

Online shops.
    They need 48 hours to get an order into the hands of the UPS guy. Then they cry about how much business they’re losing to Amazon.

However many are in a shit ton.

No trying to pile on but there's a dude on a lifting forum I sometimes peruse and he's been training for years in his basement and hasn't done a standing press except in competition in a long time because of low ceilings and he's pressing 285 these days IIRC, all off kneeling presses. I promise if you spent any time on a lifting forum you will find that there isn't a home-gym obstacle that some meathead hasn't figured out a way to solve, including keeping a squat rack outside in wet/humid climates, low ceilings, whole setups in 600sq ft NYC apartments, etc. Not saying you have to start lifting but the health benefits, especially as we age, can't be denied. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    No trying to pile on but there's a dude on a lifting forum I sometimes peruse and he's been training for years in his basement and hasn't done a standing press except in competition in a long time because of low ceilings and he's pressing 285 these days IIRC, all off kneeling presses. I promise if you spent any time on a lifting forum you will find that there isn't a home-gym obstacle that some meathead hasn't figured out a way to solve, including keeping a squat rack outside in wet/humid climates, low ceilings, whole setups in 600sq ft NYC apartments, etc. Not saying you have to start lifting but the health benefits, especially as we age, can't be denied. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    I was going to say something similar. I lift in the basement or garage with a bench and barbells.
    I mean, I get it, but the real reason for not doing anything is you don’t want to.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I mean, I get it, but the real reason for not doing anything is you don’t want to.
    Don't know about the other guys, but that is definitely my reason.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Don't know about the other guys, but that is definitely my reason.
    Me too.

I mean, I force myself to do some pushups during the week... and try to ride a couple days a week... but other than that:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I enjoyed watching this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF_QNb1z-U

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I'm doing my best to remain calm and it's really fucking hard!

New bike day! Yeah!

Reverb does not work...at all. Pulled seat made sure was 250lbs and still nothing. Needs a bleed? Needs the dumpster!!

Fuck you reverb pos
    Check to make sure seat post clamp is not to tight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    I enjoyed watching this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF_QNb1z-U

Looks like a decent set-up and routine, but his squat looks pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    but his squat looks pretty terrible.
    Awful. It's a good thing he only has two 45s to put on that bar.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Sometimes that’s a rider problem.
    Sometimes that’s a builder problem.

However many are in a shit ton.

It's not just noobs who do that. Trust me.... And FWIW, if that was a perfectly good section of trail with a rock sticking out in the middle of it, 90% of riders would go around rather than over that rock.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    It's not just noobs who do that. Trust me.... And FWIW, if that was a perfectly good section of trail with a rock sticking out in the middle of it, 90% of riders would go around rather than over that rock.
    Which cracks me up, because if I’m riding super buff single track and come across a single rock, I’ll damn well go over that rock, and think it’s the best part of the trail. I’m sure many of you agree.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Puddles are an excuse to practice manuals, even if you're bad at them like me.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Which cracks me up, because if I’m riding super buff single track and come across a single rock, I’ll damn well go over that rock, and think it’s the best part of the trail. I’m sure many of you agree.
    This. Rocks are there for a reason, hop over them, roll them, what's the point of going around? That's what road biking is for...
    I've been guilty of going around the occasional puddle as for some reason I'm reluctant to get splashed the 1st time. Once it happens though I turn into a fucking pig and happily wallow around in muddy water. Some of the PC and Millcreek trails have seen some legendary widening this year from people going around snowfields. We're talking tracks 5' to the side of the trail for over 30'.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    This. Rocks are there for a reason, hop over them, roll them, what's the point of going around? That's what road biking is for...
    Once in a cat 3 road race a looong time ago, I was in front, and bunny hopped over a road kill raccoon. No one was immediately behind me, but all the weenies were pissed that I didn’t go around it and point to the ground. Not a single one of them could bunny hop. My fondest road racing memory.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Heh - was on a long training ride where similar happened. Leader hopped it second wheel went through it. Everybody behind was able to dodge. The carcass was pretty gooey, got into the guys spokes, dried to beef jerky consistency by the end