Page 79 of 247 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 6171
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Brand new fancy full suspension carbon frame with 300 miles on it starts creaking. BB, cranks, chainring, headset, cassette, seat and all linkage bolts removed, cleaned, grease then reinstalled.

Still creaking. Fuck you bike, I’m out of ideas.

I guess I’ll just tear it apart piece by piece and rebuild it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Carbon cranks? I had an aluminum pedal insert unbond from a (raceface) carbon crank. It was barely loose, and wasn't really noticeable while riding. But it started creaking really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    SRAM: We go to 50!
    Shimano: 51!
    SRAM: 52!
    42 to 52 jump between the 2 biggest sprockets?? 10 teeth??? FUCK. THAT. The way the 10-50 Eagle cassette is laddered sucks moose balls already, I feel like it ramps up exponentially on the high end with massive jumps between cogs, always made me want needed intermediate gears. Jumping from 42 to 52 is going to be like dropping from middle to small chainring on an old 3x drivetrain, good luck doubling your RPMs to maintain the same speed. And that's assuming the derailleur can handle that jump without choking...
    I am way happier with the linear ramping on the Shimano cassette, the steps are much more reasonable and going from the 45 to the 51 cog doesn't feel like a complete bailout. Congrats to SRAM for regaining the crown for biggest range, this dick measuring contest is going to make people who routinely climb 60 degree slopes real happy.

Edit: $380 for the X01? Mother of fuck, I just paid $110 for an XT cassette.

Pretty sure this is the end of the race for bigger low cogs, hopefully Shimano is working on an XTR internally geared drivetrain to blow the whole existing paradigm apart.
    At least I can hope.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    42 to 52 jump between the 2 biggest sprockets?? 10 teeth??? FUCK. THAT. The way the 10-50 Eagle cassette is laddered sucks moose balls already, I feel like it ramps up exponentially on the high end with massive jumps between cogs, always made me want needed intermediate gears. Jumping from 42 to 52 is going to be like dropping from middle to small chainring on an old 3x drivetrain
    This is funny timing - I was just thinking about this on my ride yesterday... I had lots of time to think because it was a long ride and pretty much ALL climbing.

I have 10-50 GX and basically *never* use that 42-tooth ring on the cassette. And I could have used that 52 tooth ring several times yesterday.

In fact - I think that I could tolerate a 5 speed mountain cassette - something like 10-16-24-36-50. Then again... maybe I couldn't. I just had lots of time to think yesterday... though most of my thinking was probably hypoxic.

Brand new fancy full suspension carbon frame with 300 miles on it starts creaking. BB, cranks, chainring, headset, cassette, seat and all linkage bolts removed, cleaned, grease then reinstalled.

What bike? I pulled apart/cleaned everything,bought a new bottom bracket, , turned out putting a bit of grease along the pawls in the hub solved it.

2x.... FTW
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This is funny timing - I was just thinking about this on my ride yesterday... I had lots of time to think because it was a long ride and pretty much ALL climbing.

I have 10-50 GX and basically *never* use that 42-tooth ring on the cassette. And I could have used that 52 tooth ring several times yesterday.

In fact - I think that I could tolerate a 5 speed mountain cassette - something like 10-16-24-36-50. Then again... maybe I couldn't. I just had lots of time to think yesterday... though most of my thinking was probably hypoxic.
    I was in that boat all of last season. Tons of climbing, lots of time on the 50t, and by the end of the season my knees weren't happy with pushing hard at low RPM.
    I dropped 2 teeth on the chainring and it made me much happier. Switching to a cassette with more regular jumps between cogs was also a nice improvement but not quite as significant overall. Gaining 2 teeth in the back is going to have less impact than dropping 2 teeth in the front as far as climbing for extended periods of time goes and I don't see myself missing those 2 teeth when going down, I don't think I've ever spun out unless I'm on pavement.

If other suggestions don't work, check any cable stops or ports. I've had creaking show up in those before. Every pedal stroke when the suspension compressed slightly the cable or cable end would creak.

The problem is, going down 2 teeth in the front fucks the high end. 32x10 already spins out pretty easily. 52 lets you go up to a 34 and only only lose a little on the tractor gear while gaining a ton on the fast gear.

1x is full of gripes and shenanigans, but there's no love lost for 2x.

My rant is ticks. If my internetting is correct, I've pulled every species in VA off my body this year, and it's not even summer. Fuck you ticks!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I’ve actually been wanting for that XTR 10-45 11 speed cassette to come out as promised at launch, not holding my breath on that one anymore so will do the 10-45 12 speed. I spend so little time in the 32/10 around here that as long as the suspension is designed around 30 then I’ll be happy to drop the 50 and go 30/45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brand new fancy full suspension carbon frame with 300 miles on it starts creaking.

Speaking of cassette gear spacing, has anyone spent time with the Box One Prime 9? It had fallen off my radar, but the news about SRAM 10-52 GX has me thinking about it again. The Prime 9 has better spacing for the lowest two gears (opinion), it's lightweight, and in theory is less finicky to setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I was in that boat all of last season. Tons of climbing, lots of time on the 50t, and by the end of the season my knees weren't happy with pushing hard at low RPM.
    I dropped 2 teeth on the chainring and it made me much happier. Switching to a cassette with more regular jumps between cogs was also a nice improvement but not quite as significant overall. Gaining 2 teeth in the back is going to have less impact than dropping 2 teeth in the front as far as climbing for extended periods of time goes and I don't see myself missing those 2 teeth when going down, I don't think I've ever spun out unless I'm on pavement.
    I was thinking 28 x 52 would be nice.

Pedals. So many times it's the pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Pedals. So many times it's the pedals.
    Ha! So what part hasn't been named yet? Fucking bikes...

Drop the whole bike in a vat of wd40.

I'd like to rant about handlebars. Specifically, sweep. With very few exceptions, most have at least 8 degree backsweep. I want less. The old Thomson DH bar (6 back, 4 up) is my all time favorite but it only came in 12mm rise, and they discontinued that version. The Renthal Fatbar V2 is the next best thing at 7/5 but even that is a rarity.

Am I just the only person who gives a shit?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I was thinking 28 x 52 would be nice.
    I’m gonna have 28/51 for our high alpine adventure...

At that point, isn't it more work to basically do a track stand the whole way up the hill than it is to just walk?

I've got a 28/46 and I'm always reaching for another gear. Dammit, I guess that's all there is.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    At that point, isn't it more work to basically do a track stand the whole way up the hill than it is to just walk?
    We will be at 13,000 feet or something, I’ll take any help I can get! We used to say that about 36 tooth, 40 tooth, 42 tooth, 46 tooth, and 50 tooth, and every time it has proven that you can still pedal plenty with the extra teeth. I go faster with higher rpm’s On really steep stuff in 51 than I used to with 42...

Yeah I know, I've been trending lower too.

My personal bikes are 32-45 and 32-40, both 27.5. I've been spending a bunch of time on a GG Smash recently, with a 32t ring and 50t cassette, and that feels like about the limit of what I want to pedal... but I haven't tried anything lower than that recently.

I’m actually going to 32/51 after this trip, as I have gotten stronger this year. But I usually run 30/51 so I can clean more without actually going into the granny, and staying in the 45 and 40 or whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I've got a 28/46 and I'm always reaching for another gear. Dammit, I guess that's all there is.
    I'm pretty convinced that no matter HOW low a gear I have... I'm always gonna be reaching for a lower one.

It's what I do.

I'm all about the tiny gears. My Ripley came with a 32 and I swapped it after just a few rides. 30x51 FTW. I'm faster with small gears. However I do concur that the huge jumps are lame. The XT cassette is nicer than the GX I previously had for that reason. This new SRAM one looks stupid.

On my road bike I went to compact cranks a while back when I was a little out of shape, but now that I'm in decent shape again I'm sticking with them. I might even put on an 11-30 cassette!

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    What bike? I pulled apart/cleaned everything,bought a new bottom bracket, , turned out putting a bit of grease along the pawls in the hub solved it.
    It’s a new SC Hightower. It bugs the shit out of me because I had a last gen Hightower and it didn’t creak once during 4 seasons of use.

Fucked with a few things tonight and I’ll pull the free hub off and give it a little love next.