Page 178 of 247 FirstFirst ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 6153
    Fatbikes don’t replace skiing- I can’t go to the hill after work. Fat bikes are the tool to stay on the trails for more accessible activity close to home. For most of the winter (and shoulder season) our trails are packed snow or packed snow, ice, and mud.

Studded Wrathchildren are perfect for here. I don’t need more float than I get from 26x4.6- if I need it I’d have more fun on skis. Studs are a game changer, though.

Hey toast, in the fat bike thread a few years ago I asked if should get a fat bike, and everybody said, you live in the greatest cross country ski area in the world, why would you want a fat bike? I agreed.
    Then last winter my wife bought me a fat bike as a surprise. We have over 50 miles of narrow single track style groomed for fat bike trails here. I’ve been skiing XC since November 8 so to mix it up, and give my ligaments a change, it’s fun to do these fat bike trails. Also it gets dark in December around 4 o’clock so it’s fun to ride the fat bike trails with the light which enhances the contrast.
    I tried riding the fat bike once on my summer trails, and I’ll never do it again it’s completely stupid.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Hey toast, in the fat bike thread a few years ago I asked if should get a fat bike, and everybody said, you live in the greatest cross country ski area in the world, why would you want a fat bike? I agreed.
    Then last winter my wife bought me a fat bike as a surprise. We have over 50 miles of narrow single track style groomed for fat bike trails here. I’ve been skiing XC since November 8 so to mix it up, and give my ligaments a change, it’s fun to do these fat bike trails. Also it gets dark in December around 4 o’clock so it’s fun to ride the fat bike trails with the light which enhances the contrast.
    I tried riding the fat bike once on my summer trails, and I’ll never do it again it’s completely stupid.
    That does seem like a fairly ideal use for fat bikes. And yeah, the after work rides in the winter make a lot of sense.

Personally, I'm definitely too much of a wuss to go pedal around in single digit temps in the dark. But full credit to the people that do.

I have a few buddies who don't ski/board and use to hate winter cause they had to drive down south to ride or accept their fate and ice climb throughout the winter (the horror). They all got fatbikes and have been at it for 10+ years. Good crew, lots of shenanigans, they spend a lot of time slowshoeing around to pack their trails and get after it real hard (for those who are in SLC, they routinely ride the LCC trails starting from White Pine down, some brutal tech that probably doesn't get all that much easier with snow). They're hating it this season cause it's snowing so much nothing stays in shape for more than a day.

I've ridden my regular bike in snow a few times when desperation was setting on during really bad winters. As others have said though, if there's skiable snow on the ground you can't get me to think about biking. Bet fat bikes are fun but I'll never know.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I saw the exact same progression here. "Fat bikes make your regular trails so much more fun!!"
    Respect to the posts above with people riding fat bikes in snow where they're actually useful. If I lived in a place that had winter (ha, I'm currently sitting here not riding due to snow on the trails) I'd buy one for sure. I have thought of one for socal even because you can actually do decent length rides on the beach or head out to the desert and explore sandy washes.

But the people I was referring to since this is the rant thread bought fat bikes to ride on normal MTB trails in normal conditions, and were telling everyone how great it was. Then you started hearing whispers admitting it was more work (but still soooo much fun!). Then they pretty much disappeared altogether. That's why my friend seems like an anomaly. He has ridden his fat bike on the beach, but mostly on normal trails he'd usually ride his trail bike on.

Fatty's on dirt is hell. I'm pretty sure fat is here to stay on the EC. Everyone I know and ride with has at least one. Skiing for us is a road trip and I'm a complete snob so I'm not driving unless it's pow. And we ride after work, burn and drink beers. Its a blast. But yeah, conditions can be difficult at times. We do have a groomer and we skin the trails when needed. It doesn't replace skiing and it was never meant to. If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.

I do have to admit, in 2017 I got passed (and then beat) by a girl on a fat bike in a 4 hour mountain bike race.

In fairness, she was really fit.
    I think she beat me again the next year, but was on a full suspension by that point.

I have a friend who used to race on dirt on fat bikes. Even big multi day races and 50 milers. He did ok, didn't come in last anyway. I think that it is kinda like telemarking or handicapping yourself so you have an excuse for not winning. Haha, he's a good dude though.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    We have over 50 miles of narrow single track style groomed for fat bike trails here. I’ve been skiing XC since November 8 so to mix it up, and give my ligaments a change, it’s fun to do these fat bike trails. Also it gets dark in December around 4 o’clock so it’s fun to ride the fat bike trails with the light which enhances the contrast.
    That would be nice! Do they ever allow bikes on the Nordic trails?

I’ve petitioned the Nordic Council here and they weren’t very receptive.

This morning’s early ride was magical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've noticed locally that a number of times the classic tracks have been where fat bikes have stuck their tires. That probably makes the groomer mad.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Do they ever allow bikes on the Nordic trails?
    They allow fat bikes on a few of the trails that also have been groomed for classic and skate, but they’re not that great to fat bike. One’s an 8K figure 8, and the other is just a 7K climb so when you turn around and come down, you’re not peddling.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    I do have to admit, in 2017 I got passed (and then beat) by a girl on a fat bike in a 4 hour mountain bike race.

In fairness, she was really fit.
    I think she beat me again the next year, but was on a full suspension by that point.
    Most are full rigid, so they are efficient and pretty quick, but damn, that bouncing around and pinballing off rocks is not fun...for me anyway. I'll take full cush when it's dirt.

"Un-un-un-damped-amped-amped sus-sus-pensi-un-un-un is awe-awe-awe-some-some!"

I was between enduro-bikes for a week so i took the Fat bike out on the bluff trails for a run where it kind of wallowed from bump to bump at 37lb it was slow,

really I need to spend a bunch of $$$ on studded tires or only ride soft condition

not sure about fat bike in snow, or for me in general, I might sell it

I think I might like the fat bike in sand > snow but all we got IS snow ... certainly a 1st world problem
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-18-2023 at 09:52 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Fucking fat bike stretched/tore some inner hip muscle on the one time I rode it on dirt. FTS

I've been fatbiking for what seems like forever. I picked up an OG offset Pugsley used from a dude who hadn't even worn the knobs off the tires 10 years ago. I rode the heck out of it for a few seasons and "upgraded" to a Framed Alaskan. I rode the shit out of that too until I blew up the wheelset and a new set was worth more than the bike. Moved a few of the parts and a new wheelset onto a cheap chinese carbon frame and I've been on that for the past few years. For me, I find fatbiking in the winter fun as fuck. Nothing has made me feel like a kid again like the slow motion, barely controlled chaos that is bombing down a trail. Here in Salt Lake, snow conditions are decent for a good part of the winter. Between Park City and American Fork there's quite a bit that gets groomed, some specifically for fatbiking. Sure, I rode mine in the summer a few times before I realized that it was stupid as fuck and that I was destroying $100 tires. The old Pugsley has since been converted to a single speed and I'll take that out in mud season, there's not much to fuck up on that frame. To each their own, but I've found that when conditions are good, it's really good, when it's bad, it's really bad. Don't knock it until you've tried it. I've had some pretty prophetic moments solo in the backcountry that I would have just zoomed by on my trail bike.

Is this the fat bike thread?
    /rant
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Is this the fat bike thread?
    /rant
    At least it's not another Rainbow Brite hex wrench circle jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Touche’

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    This was funny, I laughed
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Most are full rigid, so they are efficient and pretty quick, but damn, that bouncing around and pinballing off rocks is not fun...for me anyway. I'll take full cush when it's dirt.
    She was super fit at the time, she did several 200+ km road rides that summer.
    She was much faster the next year on a full suspension.

She's won the local 120 km (2500+ m) mountain bike race a few times.

Built up my new frame, yay!
    figured out upon final tune the the new cable housing and cable are indeed about 2” too short, which involves removing the lower swing arm bolt to change. Could be a lot worse, though, at least the frame has tube in tube, but it splits at the swingarm.
    The rear brake housing is also now about 2-3” too short. It will “work”, but would likely rip out in a violent crash. Which, as you all know, I have NEVER experienced.:jester:
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Have had 2 pairs of boots and a pair of pants fall apart on me this month. You know it's a big rock you were trying to move when you tear both ass cheeks

Pants definitely aren't lasting as long as they used to. The timberlands lasted about 6 yrs which isn't bad at all. The Zamberlans I bought early 2000s but I seldom wear them, only when I need to use crampons. Good thing I wasn't on a big hike with them. Hopefully can get them re-soled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230127_080953026.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	444765

Name:	PXL_20221231_221227583.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	444766

Name:	PXL_20230123_031842014.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	444767

Have had 2 pairs of boots and a pair of pants fall apart on me this month. You know it's a big rock you were trying to move when you tear both ass cheeks

Pants definitely aren't lasting as long as they used to. The timberlands lasted about 6 yrs which isn't bad at all. The Zamberlans I bought early 2000s but I seldom wear them, only when I need to use crampons. Good thing I wasn't on a big hike with them. Hopefully can get them re-soled.

Name:	PXL_20230127_080953026.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	444765

Name:	PXL_20221231_221227583.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	444766

Get some KG's Boot Guard. It's like $12 on Amazon. Basically rhino lining that you paint onto your boots. I put a 3" line of that stuff around the bottom edge of my boots and over the toe and heel. It's been bullet proof, and also much more water proof.

Better hope booner doesn’t see this pick. Rutting season is on if he does.