Page 132 of 247 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 6153
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You're a proponent of "right tool for the job," but you're bitching about how your cable replacement didn't go smoothly because you don't own cable cutters, which are pretty high on the list of super basic bike tools.
    Agreed. High quality cable/housing cutter was one of the 1st "best" tools I bought for home-wrenching.

You're a proponent of "right tool for the job," but you're bitching about how your cable replacement didn't go smoothly because you don't own cable cutters, which are pretty high on the list of super basic bike tools.
    and really not that expensive, especially if you account for your time and effort travelling to and fro properly

Inclined to agree.

As said, most of this rant is directed at myself. First and second paragraph are pretty unrelated - I agree housing cutters have and always will be an important tool
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

So I’ve found sharp wire snips to do a serviceable job, though should actually buy the real thing I guess.

Back to rant though…. Been riding for a long time and I still don’t see how the fuck your giant trail destroying machine is also allowed to shit everywhere and anywhere. Fuck you take your giant prey animal somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    So I’ve found sharp wire snips to do a serviceable job, though should actually buy the real thing I guess.

Back to rant though…. Been riding for a long time and I still don’t see how the fuck your giant trail destroying machine is also allowed to shit everywhere and anywhere. Fuck you take your giant prey animal somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recently got yelled at by a horse person for pissing in the bushes near a trailhead instead of going back to the outhouse a couple hundred yards away. I decided arguing the point wasn't worth my time, but the irony was clearly lost on them.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Agreed. High quality cable/housing cutter was one of the 1st "best" tools I bought for home-wrenching.
    I never got around to acquiring one of those because long ago I realized I already had the ideal tool for the job: Dremel tool with a thin cutoff wheel. Takes a little more touch and a few seconds longer, so maybe not ideal for a shop. But as often as I need to cut housing at home, it’s perfect: nothing makes a cleaner cut.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    My good buddy is moving a few states away in a couple days. He was very involved in the MTB scene in my area, and through him i got way more into MTB and met and rode with lots of industry folks and underground "legends". I know a ton of unsanctioned trail networks, and became friendly with their (at times) belligerent local gate keepers. I havent paid anything close to retail for anything bike related in years, and relied heavily on him as my bike mechanic. It's a real fucking bummer to lose him as a friend, and as a riding partner who got me in over my head multiple times, but also gave me some crazy memorable experiences and memories. Life marches forward i guess.

I decided to bleed my XT Deore brakes finally as it was months overdue, and i should really learn something that is fairly easy. Everything went great and my front brake feels crisp and awesome... but my rear brake is FUCKED. I can grab a handful of rear brake and will slowly come to a stop 100' ahead... just zero grab or bite. I took apart everything and cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol, sanded rotors and pads, recleaned with rubbing alcohol and put it all back together. Same problem, zero power, useless rear brakes. Anyone have an idea of how i fucked up?
    Replace the pads. I had a similar situation. If it doesn't solve it, you have new pads.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Replace the pads. I had a similar situation. If it doesn't solve it, you have new pads.
    Yeah this was my first thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    I never got around to acquiring one of those because long ago I realized I already had the ideal tool for the job: Dremel tool with a thin cutoff wheel. Takes a little more touch and a few seconds longer, so maybe not ideal for a shop. But as often as I need to cut housing at home, it’s perfect: nothing makes a cleaner cut.
    Don't spin the tool too fast, you will melt the inner plastic housing, when it melts it collapses on its self and will cause major drag on the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Yep, amazon has them arriving today. I bought the front pads and mineral oil at the local LBS and overpaid by about 100% (fucking $45 for XT pads, gofuckyourself), so this new set for the rear was purchased through the big evil A. I was honestly due for this- ive never been careful with using SC1 on the bike, chain lube splashes everywhere, etc. Good, reminder to not be stupid/careless when wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Don't spin the tool too fast, you will melt the inner plastic housing, when it melts it collapses on its self and will cause major drag on the cable.
    Yep, part of the "touch" I was referring to. Too fast and it melts plastic, too slow and...also melts plastic, as it's in contact too long. Doesn't really matter though, as I always finish the inner plastic (and would with a cable cutter as well) with a center punch (or spinning a small phillips head in there works too), to open it up and make sure nothing's unnecessarily binding. I've never had to re-cut, and do think it's the best method.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Yep, amazon has them arriving today. I bought the front pads and mineral oil at the local LBS and overpaid by about 100% (fucking $45 for XT pads, gofuckyourself), so this new set for the rear was purchased through the big evil A. I was honestly due for this- ive never been careful with using SC1 on the bike, chain lube splashes everywhere, etc. Good, reminder to not be stupid/careless when wrenching.
    The conventional wisdom is to literally put the pads in a different room whilst bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    As said, most of this rant is directed at myself. First and second paragraph are pretty unrelated - I agree housing cutters have and always will be an important tool
    Or, like PM one of your neighbors here and I can drop a pair of housing cutters for ya.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Good rant, sort of.

I had to go down to the Really Big today to meet with a buddy and discuss some projects. Last night he sent a cryptic text, "Hey bring your bike". He has helped me a bunch and I am helping him albeit as I charge his company a lot of $$$ so I complied.

When we were done meeting I followed him in his work truck to the bottom of the area gondola, parked my truck, loaded my bike in his rig and he drove me about 3000' feet up to the top. This is in the Billionaires club and they shut down for biking on Sunday, they had one of the really good trail building companies (Terraflow) hard at work the past 2 years building 3 DH flow trails and he wanted me to sample the mainline and give my feedback.

6 miles and 3K vertical later and after almost running over a Mama and cub I told him what I thought. "too bad its not open to everyone".

I am not much of a flow fan but that was some fine trail building.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Yep, part of the "touch" I was referring to. Too fast and it melts plastic, too slow and...also melts plastic, as it's in contact too long. Doesn't really matter though, as I always finish the inner plastic (and would with a cable cutter as well) with a center punch (or spinning a small phillips head in there works too), to open it up and make sure nothing's unnecessarily binding. I've never had to re-cut, and do think it's the best method.
    ^This! I have an old ice pick in tool box just for opening up the inner plastic sleeve after cutting the housing with a Dremel.

When a person catches your group ride from behind, don't race to get ahead of him. There is a reason I caught you, even if your group ride is holding you back. This is especially true if your descending on your carbon hard tail and they're not.

If your riding on one of the biggest Sunday afternoons of the year, with majestic color everywhere, turn it down a little on the decents so you don't have to pitch it sideways to keep from hitting the climbing riders. Don't say, "What are you upset about", when you come to a stop two inches from my front tire. I'm upset because you almost hit me and scarred the shit out of me!

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    If your riding on one of the biggest Sunday afternoons of the year, with majestic color everywhere, turn it down a little on the decents so you don't have to pitch it sideways to keep from hitting the climbing riders. Don't say, "What are you upset about", when you come to a stop two inches from my front tire. I'm upset because you almost hit me and scarred the shit out of me!
    I believe the correct rant would be "Park City needs more directional trails."

I believe the correct rant would be "Park City needs more directional trails."
    Mountain Trails Foundation: "You're totally right and will be happy to know we have five more uphill-only trails in the pipeline!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Mountain Trails Foundation: "You're totally right and will be happy to know we have five more uphill-only trails in the pipeline!"

When a person catches your group ride from behind, don't race to get ahead of him. There is a reason I caught you, even if your group ride is holding you back. This is especially true if your descending on your carbon hard tail and they're not.

Rant over.
    #1 is a major pet peeve of mine. Either from big groups or people who are stopped and take off right as you get to them. Invariably they get 50' ahead with their fresh legs then burn out and you have to go around them.

Heard an interesting rant from a couple guys on the spine after a hiker refused them the right of way. Which they didn't really have. Oddest argument ever, guess the couldn't get off their bike on the loose-as-shit B line and the hiker stood his ground. Words were exchanged. Nobody thought of just moving 2' to the side and calming the fuck down. Weird vibes.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    #1 is a major pet peeve of mine. Either from big groups or people who are stopped and take off right as you get to them. Invariably they get 50' ahead with their fresh legs then burn out and you have to go around them.
    This for sure, but I've also been in the opposite, where on very fast group rides (they do exist, though generally rare) we stop and regroup, but then immediately catch the plodding along rider(s) that we let go ahead.

In either case, rule #1 "Don't be a dick" applies, including to your second point.

This move causes my head to spontaneously combust on site.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Im not a big stickler for uphill right of way, but when it’s a spot where traction is needed and getting started again easily is less than optimal I notice it a lot more. Especially when the descending group is spread out and lead by a local pro. This is the second time I’ve seen his group do this and act like the uphillers are in their way.

One of my pet peeves with e-bikes as well - if you're going to pass me on the uphill but don't know how to descend, be ready to get out of the way when I catch you.