Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1867
    Was just going to post the same thing. I bought a Honda CRF230 a few years ago to explore dirt roads. Can't really call many of these roads good gravel rides, we've got a lot of steep/rocky mountain fire roads in Socal that would be no fun on a gravel bike IMO. The dual sport is where it's at. So fun to ride and actually makes fire roads fun. Way better than burning a whole day on a pedal bike or putting wear and tear on the truck when I can explore the same in a couple hours on the moto.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    My favorite gravel bike of all time was the KTM 690. Dirt roads were like single track, and 3rd gear corner exits were instant boners. Road are for motors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Pretty much nails it, but #5 isn't quite so simple. If traffic has become fucked to the point that you can pedal faster than everyone else is driving than it jumps to #3. Nothing puts a twisted smile on my face like riding past a long line of cars going nowhere fast.
    This is also where the moto shines, since we can lane split in CA. My commute home in peak rush hour can easily take an hour to 1:15. On the moto lane-splitting, it might be 25-30mins and hugely satisfying to ride past all the stopped cars on the freeway. Or I can take scenic side streets through La Jolla which takes 40min regardless of traffic - there are no multi-light waits since I can just cruise up to the front of the line. #winning

Pretty sure that is the lower Repack. That turn is still the same sketcky, outside banking, gravel slide with a nice 20-30 foot drop off. Every time I go down that i think how insane it was to ride that fast on a bike with coaster brakes and shitty tires down that steep fire road. Lots of respect for the early repack racers.

Sure looks like and has the vibe of repack. That was my first thought when I saw the pic too. Definitely still sketch and easy to wreck yourself on it. Havenít been on it for a while, but it used to get some ruts in it that even Indiana Jones wouldnít have escaped

Yup.
    Starting at about 15:30 or so they climb up to do repack on different bikes, the guy on the gravel bike can flat out ride.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Sounds like you need to go for a ride.
    The great irony, of course, is that all these things happened WHILE riding. FACK!

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Sounds like you need to race.
    Too old/slow.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Sounds like you need to take a dump
    Coincidentally, I was taking a dump while typing. Maybe I should have gone ahead with the rants to achieve TCN (Total Cathartic Nirvana).

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    So you were visiting Bellingham?
    Heh...not this time. Can't be worse than the Puget Metroplex though, right?
    Chronic Complainer Experiencing Ikon Cognitive Dissonance Since 2018

Plug,

cool video of a classic ride up the RR grade, out Bolinas ridge to Bolinas-Fairfax road, up towards Pine mtn and finish off with the Repack back to Fairfax for a beer. It should be noted that the climb up towards the Repack could not have been easily done on gravel bike until about 4 months ago. They bladed it and made it a much easier/less technical rocky climb, still steep though. I cannot say I see a lot gravel bikes on the Repack most would be flying down the road past the meadow club on their way to a cold one. I do see a lot of emopeds out there, away from johnny law.

Every thanksgiving there used to be a keg of beer at that bridge after the thanksgiving Pine Mtn ride. MMWD frowned on that heavily in the last few years and now station a ranger by the bridge every year, all day. Bummer

Finally, I'm riding enough to have a rant.
    Can we get mountain bikers to quit parking themselves and piles of bikes in the middle of everything? After two weeks in the desert, and one back home, I'm tired of having bikes splashed all over the tiny parking lot with quasi parallel parking, carelessly dropped and ignored while I try to drive in/out. Also, don't hang out straddling your bike under nice drops on the trail while you chat, I will land on you from the sky.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...

Can we get mountain bikers to quit parking themselves and piles of bikes in the middle of everything? After two weeks in the desert, and one back home, I'm tired of having bikes splashed all over the tiny parking lot with quasi parallel parking, carelessly dropped and ignored while I try to drive in/out. Also, don't hang out straddling your bike under nice drops on the trail while you chat, I will land on you from the sky.

Gravity always wins...

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Plug,

cool video of a classic ride up the RR grade, out Bolinas ridge to Bolinas-Fairfax road, up towards Pine mtn and finish off with the Repack back to Fairfax for a beer. It should be noted that the climb up towards the Repack could not have been easily done on gravel bike until about 4 months ago. They bladed it and made it a much easier/less technical rocky climb, still steep though. I cannot say I see a lot gravel bikes on the Repack most would be flying down the road past the meadow club on their way to a cold one. I do see a lot of emopeds out there, away from johnny law.

Every thanksgiving there used to be a keg of beer at that bridge after the thanksgiving Pine Mtn ride. MMWD frowned on that heavily in the last few years and now station a ranger by the bridge every year, all day. Bummer
    Cool. When I lived in SF & Berkeley one of my standard rides was the Pine mtn loop. I only did repack once or twice because of how it dead ended. I did Bollinas Ridge a lot when I wanted to do a bigger loop, sometimes riding down whichever trail towards the ocean and back up another trail, then looping around out by the (now) sky walker ranch. No singletrack, but great steep riding.
    The video seemed to show that guy climbing that nasty loose stuff I liked w/ his gravel bike, thatís why I commented the way I did.
    Yeah, bummer about the ranger.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post

Yup. And don't leave your bike in the middle of the trail when you decide to stop and have some of your 100 cubic inch lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Yup. And don't leave your bike in the middle of the trail when you decide to stop and have some of your 100 cubic inch lunch.
    There's no replacement for displacement, even in lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Currently sitting on the side of the road in Tucson, waiting on my wife to circle around and get the car. Partway through the inaugural ride on my new bike the pawls stopped engaging (dt Swiss 240). Had a “chainless” descent to a different trailhead

Not to be a dick but DTs don't use Pawls and are super easy to service, even on the side of the road.
    Ooof!

Thanks, ratchet. Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Not to be a dick but DTs don't use Pawls and are super easy to service, even on the side of the road.
    Don't you have to pop the cassette to get in there? I don't do that shit roadside, I always end up stabbing myself wit the cassette while trying to get it off.

Yeah. Popped the cassette off, no obvious issues. Easy way to lose a spring though!

Well, now you are fucked.

And that is Mr. Dick to you.
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Current 240's use star ratchets. Super easy to service.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Whoooo boy, 5 flats in the last two weeks.

The rant is for Kenda tires that are so tight to the rim that after wrestling with the back tire for over an hour and finally got it off I said fookit and cut the front one off.

No regrets.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Kenda ... cut the front one off.
    #therightthingtodo

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Whoooo boy, 5 flats in the last two weeks.

The rant is for Kenda tires
    Name:  theresyourproblem1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  37.3 KB

Kenda is still in business?
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeez tell me they were Nevegals?

Please?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeez tell me they were Nevegals?

Please?

If they were, he'd be dead or posting from the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Kenda is still in business?
    A guy I know who is no slouch on a bike luuuvs Hellkats. Haven't tried them myself.

Back to ranting: I had to buy that single NDS crank arm for my commuter. I couldn't find an exact Shimano replacement so I had to get an unlabeled Sunlite one and now my crank arms don't match. The new one looks enough like the original that no one will ever notice but me, but it still bothers me. The fact that it bothers me at all bothers me even more.