Page 48 of 241 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 6002
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The local wildernuts managed to shut down a 100 mile ultra marathon.
    I say we encourage the FS to ban *any* commercial venture into Designated Wilderness. No more commercial pack trips, guided hunting expeditions, guided ski trips, guided fishing trips. All of it. Banned. I mean - it's WILDERNESS, after all.

I just received a text from a newly elected conservation board member that is concerned about the mtn bike trails on their "revered" conservation land that has "historic meaning" and when discovered expect a "harsh response". He knows of the trails because he mtn bikes! Reality is he doesn't know shit because the trails are not on the conservation land, but close. There is a possibility of maybe one or two turns on conservation as we haven't narrowed it down that close yet. You cannot even access the conservation land from his town, you have to access from one town over (my town) and there are zero walking trails out there. Our town conservation committee has trail clean-up work days! They love the mtn bikers. The guy is such a tool and on a power trip all of a sudden.

The conservation land around here is all land locked by privately held parcels. They typically end up conservation when someone dies and donates it, so it's really random what is conservation and what is not.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I just received a text from a newly elected conservation board member that is concerned about the mtn bike trails on their "revered" conservation land that has "historic meaning" and when discovered expect a "harsh response". He knows of the trails because he mtn bikes! Reality is he doesn't know shit because the trails are not on the conservation land, but close. There is a possibility of maybe one or two turns on conservation as we haven't narrowed it down that close yet. You cannot even access the conservation land from his town, you have to access from one town over (my town) and there are zero walking trails out there. Our town conservation committee has trail clean-up work days! They love the mtn bikers. The guy is such a tool and on a power trip all of a sudden.

The conservation land around here is all land locked by privately held parcels. They typically end up conservation when someone dies and donates it, so it's really random what is conservation and what is not.
    Sounds like he got some old biddy yelling at his office.

Conservation = definitely not mountainbikes

because of course!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

people who use anything smaller than a 32 tooth front chainring

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Dumbasses that think shit like this matters

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'd support some Complete Human Exclusion ZonesTM. Not holding my breath.
    Anyone ever poached the DMZ?

An equestrian yelled at me to control my dog, while my dog was following about 20' behind me on a fire road the other day. He passed the equestrian on the other track of the double track (like i did on my bike), and gave a quick glance over at the horse while trotting on by. Apparently, an offleash dog was making the horse nervous. So i yelled back to make sure she could control her animal too (which is funny b/c you physically cannot control a horse if it doesnt want to be, while you can with a leashed dog). This was on private timberland and a well known, busy MTB trail network where off leash dogs are allowed. Basically i really dislike equestrians who put inexperienced horses in situations they are certainly not prepared for and then blame others for the situation.

Ive actually had a number of encounters with equestrians at this particular trail system and all of them (till this weekend) have been pretty darn good, including a couple who yelled ahead and told me that their horse liked dogs haha.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I say we encourage the FS to ban *any* commercial venture into Designated Wilderness. No more commercial pack trips, guided hunting expeditions, guided ski trips, guided fishing trips. All of it. Banned. I mean - it's WILDERNESS, after all.
    Fully agree. God forbid one person wants to take a single bicycle into a wilderness area on a solo self-supported journey. But no problem if he wants to take 25 head of horses, llamas or pack goats with him instead. Pile them up with a lifetime supply of glamping gear and bring along some guides and staff to do all the work, for a true wilderness experience. Which is totally cool, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Don't be obtuse. Mountain bikes are much worse, that's why mining is allowed in Wilderness and mountain bikes are not.
    There is a mine within the San Gabriel Wilderness here in Socal. There is a dirt road that passes through a canyon from which the mine is accessed, which would make a great bike route - all dirt, no cars, perfect connector. The mine is allowed to run a certain number of haul trucks per day on that road. But we're not allowed to bike on that road. It's pristine wilderness, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I've found that it's pretty common for "No Bikes in Wilderness" arguments to detour into implicit or explicit disdain for anyone that moves faster than a walking pace. If they could find a way to ban trail running they absolutely would.
    The PCT Association is definitely trying. Some of them complain about trail runners the same way they do about bikes "it was terrible, I had to keep looking over my shoulder to see if more runners were overtaking me". In management plan updates for the Inyo, Sierra and Sequoia National Forests the PCTA was trying to have a visual buffer designated around the PCT that the PCTA would pretty much have a veto over and would essentially be treated like wilderness. If a multi-use trail was proposed that would intersect the PCT they'd have the ability to veto it. They also wanted all new competitive events banned from the PCT, though existing ones could be grandfathered.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The local wildernuts managed to shut down a 100 mile ultra marathon. Because bears. I believe there were around 15 entrants, and a good chunk of the course was on moto legal trail.

But the forest service is more than willing to cower at the threat of litigation.
    Yup. Which makes it even more pathetic that a group like IMBA won't lawyer up once in a while.

I’m just pissed that these dumb fucking heavy shitty riding turds are inevitably gonna fuck up a lot of mtb access scenes.
    I get it, it’s fun and novel to have a super low gear ratio under ya, but a bunch of us rode heavy stupid bikes for years...and sure, they were fun because they were different and we could ride radder shit. But then we all bitched and moaned for so long and we finally have these totally ridiculous, light awesome bikes in every shape and size and we can ride even better shit, then suddenly these kooks just wanna go backwards with weight and riding style...while simultaneously jeopardizing access all over the place. Fuck!

Just wait until there is a critical mass of these long travel Enduro bikes with their 50T+ cassettes and their sub-30T chainrings, and they all need tire inserts and suspension service. Gonna keep shops in business.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The PCT Association is definitely trying. Some of them complain about trail runners the same way they do about bikes "it was terrible, I had to keep looking over my shoulder to see if more runners were overtaking me". In management plan updates for the Inyo, Sierra and Sequoia National Forests the PCTA was trying to have a visual buffer designated around the PCT that the PCTA would pretty much have a veto over and would essentially be treated like wilderness. If a multi-use trail was proposed that would intersect the PCT they'd have the ability to veto it. They also wanted all new competitive events banned from the PCT, though existing ones could be grandfathered.
    I remember waaaay back Tyrone Shoelaces posting about his boss who was a self-described "hiker" who would tell war stories about his totally extreme hiking exploits. Those types of people don't like to have their delusions of bad-assery shattered by people with a modicum of actual fitness and athletic ability.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

There is a mine within the San Gabriel Wilderness here in Socal. There is a dirt road that passes through a canyon from which the mine is accessed, which would make a great bike route - all dirt, no cars, perfect connector. The mine is allowed to run a certain number of haul trucks per day on that road. But we're not allowed to bike on that road. It's pristine wilderness, after all.
    Where the hell is that?!? I can't even imagine!

how do you feel about oval chainrings?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Where the hell is that?!? I can't even imagine!
    Here: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2641.../data=!3m1!1e3

This is in Sheep Mountain Wilderness, not San Gabriel, my mistake...

Near Mount Baldy. The access road drops off Glendora Ridge Road and connects through to bottom of Glendora Mtn Road. The mine access road heads north from that road.

There are tons of other abandoned mines as well. Big Horn Mine near Mt Baden Powell is the most well known.

The Frank Church Wilderness has a full compliment of mines to go with its air strips (planes are find but no rolling coolers!) Pity they aren't abandoned. But as we know, Wilderness only protects against bikes. You want to protect against mines you need a National Recreation Area. Sheep notwithstanding.

Here: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2641.../data=!3m1!1e3

This is in Sheep Mountain Wilderness, not San Gabriel, my mistake...

Near Mount Baldy. The access road drops off Glendora Ridge Road and connects through to bottom of Glendora Mtn Road. The mine access road heads north from that road.

There are tons of other abandoned mines as well. Big Horn Mine near Mt Baden Powell is the most well known.
    Wow. I grew up in Upland and had no idea that was even there

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I’m just pissed that these dumb fucking heavy shitty riding turds are inevitably gonna fuck up a lot of mtb access scenes.
    I get it, it’s fun and novel to have a super low gear ratio under ya, but a bunch of us rode heavy stupid bikes for years...and sure, they were fun because they were different and we could ride radder shit. But then we all bitched and moaned for so long and we finally have these totally ridiculous, light awesome bikes in every shape and size and we can ride even better shit, then suddenly these kooks just wanna go backwards with weight and riding style...while simultaneously jeopardizing access all over the place. Fuck!

Just wait until there is a critical mass of these long travel Enduro bikes with their 50T+ cassettes and their sub-30T chainrings, and they all need tire inserts and suspension service. Gonna keep shops in business.

So you run a 28t and like e-bikes? It’s ok, you’re in kind of a safe space here

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    So you run a 28t and like e-bikes? It’s ok, you’re in kind of a safe space here

No he's not. I'm logged in ya know.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The Frank Church Wilderness has a full compliment of mines to go with its air strips (planes are find but no rolling coolers!) Pity they aren't abandoned. But as we know, Wilderness only protects against bikes. You want to protect against mines you need a National Recreation Area. Sheep notwithstanding.
    And do not forget the 50K + boaters who go down the Middle Fk of the Salmon every season spending on average 6 nights in the "Wilderness". By the end on the season the 100+- designated campsites look like parking lots. And please ignore the Jet Boat traffic on the Main Salmon.

When I was in school, I had the displeasure of taking a class from a former president of the Sierra Club. He thought he was gods gift to humanity. Paraphrasing one of his often used lines "Wilderness is for the wild. Humans aren't wild." That is the end game There are people that believe vasts segments of the west should not be tracked by human footprints. Whether bike or horse, the end game is the exclusion of all. We need to stop bickering amongst ourselves and remember that is the end game. Non motorized access for all is my mantra. I'll even go motorized in the winter.

Back to ranting. I've decided if I ever see someone setting a poo bag down by the trail I'm throwing the contents at the person. Every year it's getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Back to ranting. I've decided if I ever see someone setting a poo bag down by the trail I'm throwing the contents at the person. Every year it's getting worse.
    Just to clarify; will you be throwing the bag, or actually removing the contents first and then throwing them? Serious commitment if the latter.

However many are in a shit ton.

FedEx Smart Ship and USPS. What a fucking joke.
    A little background. I don't get home USPS delivery to my house, the local post office sucks so bad I pay for a private PO Box at the local UPS store.
    If I want something delivered I can have UPS or FedEX deliver to my house. If its shipped USPS or if the shipper can't tell me how they ship I send it to my PO Box AND put the physical address of the UPS PO Box store.
    I ordered a few bike parts out of Utah, and they told me it would ship FedEx or FedEx Smart Ship. Fed Ex Smart ship means FedEx does the long distance shipping and then hand it off to USPS to do the "final leg local delivery".
    2 of the parts got shipped FedEx, 2 parts got shipped FedEx Smart ship.
    FedEx went Salt Lake to 1)Henderson CO to 2)Gypsum Co to 3)Avon Co (my address) in 2 days
    FedEx Smartship went Salt Lake to 1) Henderson to 2)Aurora to 3)Henderson USPS to 3)Aurora USPS to 4)Denver USPS to 5)Grand Junction USPS to 6)Avon USPS where it has taken over 2 days in the Avon USPS to get into the PO Box company's bin.
    2 days vs 10+ days.

There are people that believe vasts segments of the west should not be tracked by human footprints.
    Except for their own footprints. Being 100% honest

There are people that believe vasts segments of the west should not be tracked by human footprints.

We call that "nevada"

Specialized - everything has to be so fucking Specialized. On a trip and something breaks - shit out of luck unless a shop happens to have the part that measures exactly 22 curly short hairs less than what's on ever other brand of bike. O shit you wanted to ride the bike other then in Fucking Morgan Hill and don't have a support van filled with shit that works on only one fucking bike:/) I got my wife a snazzy Fox step cast fork for her Epic race bike, of course the brainy sworks fork that comes with it is fucking specialized & the end caps that won't fit a normal forking drop out. Finally get specialized "Rider Care" on the phone and they say I can't do shit for you, you need to take an hour drive to your retailer where they may be able to order the crap you need, because they can't stock all that crap it's too damn expensive to have it sit around. Fuck you Specialized!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

don't we already have fuck specialized and fuck yeti threads ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know