Page 109 of 241 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 6022
    I put $ down for a pre-order on an RSD Mayor fat bike frame back in early December. Frame was scheduled to arrive next week so I have a pile of parts ready to build it. Found out yesterday that the frame won't be here until late Feb/early March - just in time for fat bike season to start winding down. I'm not surprised considering the present state of oversees manufacturing but kinda bummed regardless.

I guess I'll have a shiny new fat bike ready for spring mud season.

I dont like it when logging companies have popular legal trail systems on their land, and require $60+ annual passes to ride there, and threaten to revoke access to everyone if they catch people without passes. Meanwhile, all trails are built and maintained by volunteers and and trails get destroyed by logging yearly.

A big reason why these companies can still have profitable tree farms in these areas is because the tax payers get benefit from being able to recreate on that land... otherwise I, and many people like me would have voted through propositions making it REAL fucking difficult to have profitable tree farms so close to metro areas. It should be a symbiotic relationship- they get to log and clearcut big ugly swaths harming the environment, and we get to build trail and ride bikes on the land. But they take it one step further and force us to pay for the privilege of riding on the land that they are basically destroying on a yearly basis, and then threaten to revoke access pushing the narrative that the public should be thankful. It grinds my gears.
    Last edited by californiagrown; 02-01-2021 at 12:15 PM.

I received a Smash nearly two weeks ago and haven’t even opened the boxes because we’re in the depths of remodel hell. I’ve dreamt about it nearly every night.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Getting ready for every ride: "Jesus, I gotta clean out these hydration bladders!"
    After ever ride: "Packs go here, bikes go here, All's well with the world."
    Repeat.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I’m on a bad fucking stretch of mechanical work on my mountain bike.

Couple weeks ago I tried to install a Works offset headset, borked up the bearing with my homemade press, what should have been a $35 headset install if I brought it to a shop to do instead of trying myself ended up being $90.

Then today I was going to top off my fluid res on my Deore 4-pot. First, I stripped the bleeder screw, then when I swapped the lever out for my old one and tried to bleed the hose, one of my pistons pushed on the bleed block crooked and now the whole fucking caliper is borked.

^^^ That's pretty much my life. Seems like most repairs don't go as planned for me. I was installing a crown race on a fork the other day. I usually just tap it on with a hammer and screwdriver, alternating sides. Decided to build a home made crown race press to do it properly. Got pvc pipe specs from a couple youtube vids. Rather than push the crown on, the pvc deformed and the race got lodged inside it, mangling the seal edge. Picked up a new one at local shop, and yesterday when I went to install it couldn't find it. Searched truck, garage, and living room multiple times before I came across it. The tap tap tap method has always worked well, but this time I couldn't get the race to start seating. First tap started it on a bit crooked, second tap flipped it crooked the other way. Took about 15min to finally get it on.

Wife: How long do you think it’ll take?
    Me: Shouldn’t take very long.
    Me (a minute later): But it’ll probably take longer than it should.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Wife: How long do you think it’ll take?
    Me: Shouldn’t take very long.
    Me (a minute later): But it’ll probably take longer than it should.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sounds familiar.

Me: I'm just going to swap something on my bike real quick.
    Wife: How long's that going to take?
    Me: Oh, it's simple, like 15 minutes.
    Wife: So.... 2 hours.

My theory is that bike maintenance videos on YouTube should have a drunk mechanic who is working in a shop they aren't familiar with. Plus they should be short at least one semi vital tool. I don't want to see a 7 minute video about how easy it is to change the oil and foam rings in your fork lowers. Stretch that out to an hour and maybe include one trip to the bike shop to pick up more oil after the container gets kicked over and that would be way more accurate!

They should also lose a tiny fastener that they have to crawl on the floor trying to find only to discover hours later that it landed in a random crease in their shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    My theory is that bike maintenance videos on YouTube should have a drunk mechanic who is working in a shop they aren't familiar with. Plus they should be short at least one semi vital tool. I don't want to see a 7 minute video about how easy it is to change the oil and foam rings in your fork lowers. Stretch that out to an hour and maybe include one trip to the bike shop to pick up more oil after the container gets kicked over and that would be way more accurate!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    They should also lose a tiny fastener that they have to crawl on the floor trying to find only to discover hours later that it landed in a random crease in their shorts.
    I hate how relatable both of these posts are... ​
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

It'd be fun to watch them search all over for something they put down and now can't find. While the audience watches them walk past it over and over again. Wife periodically asks what's wrong ......... NOTHING! Comedy Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I buy two ball bearings for every one I need based on this.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It'd be fun to watch them search all over for something they put down and now can't find. While the audience watches them walk past it over and over again. Wife periodically asks what's wrong ......... NOTHING! Comedy Gold.
    This is 80% of my shop time on any project. Home improvement, bike work, car maintenance. Ugh. Never wanted kids but maybe I should have one just for the Tool Monkey and Flashlight Holder utility.

I'm sick of people asking if X trail network is ready to ride in the spring. Was it covered in snow a week ago? Probably still soft!

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I'm sick of people asking if X trail network is ready to ride in the spring. Was it covered in snow a week ago? Probably still soft!
    At least people ask where you live. Around here, snow drifts can be visible on the hillside from a mile away, but people will still ride it, and then proceed to ride around every patch of snow, puddle, and downed tree, fucking the trail for the whole summer.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    At least people ask where you live. Around here, snow drifts can be visible on the hillside from a mile away, but people will still ride it, and then proceed to ride around every patch of snow, puddle, and downed tree, fucking the trail for the whole summer.
    Yeah I'm sick of people just going out anyway and destroying the trails. We live 1.5 hours from amazing dry desert riding just go there. Hikers too - just because you tiptoe through the mud like a sneaky cartoon character doesn't mean you're not still leaving huge footprints
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Better they ask than they just go out and ride it.

A week can make all the difference between muddy and good to go.

Just ride early, while they’re still frozen.
    I just logged a hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Sounds familiar.

Me: I'm just going to swap something on my bike real quick.
    Wife: How long's that going to take?
    Me: Oh, it's simple, like 15 minutes.
    Wife: So.... 2 hours.
    But it only feels like 15 minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Better they ask than they just go out and ride it.

A week can make all the difference between muddy and good to go.
    And between a month of concrete like ruts that then become dust and nice solid trail for months and months.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Absolutely!

Glad people ask before traveling an hour+ and then just ride anyway bc they made the trip.

I just did this exact thing in the NE thread Bc I’m 5 hrs away and don’t have a feel for trail conditions outside my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

I’ll add to the rant about trail damage.

I notice so many endur-Bros fucking walking their bikes uphill. Now, there’s a road next to the DH area they could walk, which is fine. I get not wanting to pedal in skinny jeans and a full face while carrying 12 gopros. But many choose to walk straight uphill on the uptrack and cut switchbacks.

Oh and fucking gapers that drive straight and cut off the curves on our flow trails.

When did I become a grumpy old man?

That all said about the asking if the trail is good to go, I do roll my eyes when you can see snow on the hillside still, and they are asking if it is dry... and they live in the town where you can see the hill from. and the post 2 above asked the same question yesterday.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Oh and fucking gapers that drive straight and cut off the curves on our flow trails.
    That may not be gapers. One might argue that the problem is flow trails and poor trail design.