Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
Results 576 to 600 of 600
  1. #576
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Not sure if this is a Bozeman problem or widespread.

    Fatbikes/snowbikes are getting more and more popular.

    Around here, most set track/groomed track is closed to us.

    A friend was down at Grand Targhee and showed some awesome pictures of the trail system down there. Traditional, skate and snowbikes all sharing and getting along just fine.
    The GNF did their travel plan a couple years before fat bikes blew up, so nobody thought twice about a restriction on wheeled travel over snow. But most Nordic groomers do keep bikes off- same with our Nordic club.

    Targhee actually has bike-only winter trails. The trails are too narrow and the turns are too tight for XC skis. Itís an awesome option when your weekend is booked in advance and one day of groomers is enough.

  2. #577
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    2,610
    Hunters shooting mountain bikers. Yeah, that is a rant most can get behind.

  3. #578
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    5,769
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Hunters shooting mountain bikers. Yeah, that is a rant most can get behind.
    I read about that one in your 'hood yesterday. Sounds like an inexcusable occurrence.

  4. #579
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,132
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Hunters shooting mountain bikers. Yeah, that is a rant most can get behind.
    I agree. Far too many mountainbikers on trails these days.





    Just looked up the story. Jesus Christ. That could have been bad. I ride a lot in the great Nevada desert which is reno for 'where we take the family 50 cal'. Not hunting, because hunting puts far fewer bullets flying over your head. That shit's getting a little excessive.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  5. #580
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    where the rough and fluff live
    Posts
    4,193
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm seriously considering getting a REALLY loud bluetooth speaker and blaring at all times on the way down:

    Col Kilgore screaming, "Charlie don't go uphill on your track!"

  6. #581
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    2,610
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I read about that one in your 'hood yesterday. Sounds like an inexcusable occurrence.
    It is inexcusable, but I hope she took all the precautions.

    One thing I try not to do is ride at dawn or dusk during hunting season, but I think if one does, they should have their lights on. I don't ride then out of respect for the hunters. It's the best time to hunt apparently. We all know there are a bunch of knucklehead hunters out there, so going over the top to protect yourself is in your best interest.

  7. #582
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I've ranted about people who climb Ghost Falls before. That annoys me, but if I encounter anyone climbing Jacob's who isn't obviously a clueless noob I would have a hard time not being openly hostile.
    Well, it happened. I gave the guy an earful but had to keep it PG because the kiddo was with me, which was probably for the best. So fucking stupid.

  8. #583
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    8,159
    *Last Friday Night*

    Riding I Street when an attention-challenged individual steps into the line (right before the big wood kicker all the way down by the fence along BST, for those who know). Manage to not cream him, but grabbed some brake reflexively. Too much speed to bail, not enough for the jump, case hard. Half expected a broken rear wheel, so props to Go Ride for a solid wheel build. All seemed fine, continued to ride, abnormally fast dirt led to some oversend during the rest of the evening.

    *Following Day*

    Climbing the quarry with the wife and my seat feels really low. Did my seat post really slip that far? Look down, see that the shock is sagged about 70%. Turn around, go straight to Go Ride. Initial assessment is that the damper seems to be OK, should just need an air sleeve kit. They're backed up but can have it done by the weekend. Whew.

    *Just Now*

    Shop calls, I assume it's ready to be picked up. Nope, IFP body is bulged, she's fucked. They can fix it, but the part will take a while to get, strong likelihood other stuff is broken inside, it will be expensive. They tell me I'm probably better off shopping for a new shock.

    Fuck! I feel like the aforementioned attention-challenged individual owes me a new shock. Am I wrong?

    Any good deals out there right now for a 200x51 piggyback air shock?

  9. #584
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    8,159
    Is a like-new 2018 DPX2 worth an extra $200 over a 2016 Monarch+? Current buggered shock is a Monarch+ that I really liked, FWIW.

    Here's what I'm looking at:

    Monarch+
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2368103/

    DPX2
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2368822/

    There's also this Float X, but the seller has minimal history
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2362653/

    edit: NIB DVO Topaz for $385? Last post here makes is sound pretty sweet: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...hreadid=203781
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-04-2018 at 02:26 PM.

  10. #585
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    It is inexcusable, but I hope she took all the precautions.

    One thing I try not to do is ride at dawn or dusk during hunting season, but I think if one does, they should have their lights on. I don't ride then out of respect for the hunters. It's the best time to hunt apparently. We all know there are a bunch of knucklehead hunters out there, so going over the top to protect yourself is in your best interest.
    Couple months late, but recently I was climbing up a gated dirt road, and there's a hunter walking, so I said hi and offered to turn around (I didn't expect to get much father before hitting snow anyway), and he said no, it was fine and that if anything I'd move stuff around. About 10 minutes later I hear a shot, and the guy had got his sping bear. So maybe I helped? Or didn't hurt anyway.

  11. #586
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    7,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Is a like-new 2018 DPX2 worth an extra $200 over a 2016 Monarch+? Current buggered shock is a Monarch+ that I really liked, FWIW.

    Here's what I'm looking at:

    Monarch+
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2368103/

    DPX2
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2368822/

    There's also this Float X, but the seller has minimal history
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2362653/

    edit: NIB DVO Topaz for $385? Last post here makes is sound pretty sweet: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...hreadid=203781
    Probably depends on the bike. Dpx2 made a significant difference compared to the monarch on my hightower, but I've ridden other bikes where I think the difference would be less noticeable. And that's assuming the shocks are both tuned for the frame.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  12. #587
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    4,738
    On a downhill trail... first a group of fucked up teenagers, bottles of hard liquor and a huge cloud of weed smoke... ON THE TRAIL.. like some of them laying down!

    Then, a mom and dad and two toddlers toddling up the same downhill trail which runs basically parallel to the climbing trail... the climbing trail that is much, much safer for toddling toddlers and fucked up teenagers because bikes are only allowed to go up it...

  13. #588
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    5,769
    ^^Walkers and others don't have to obey the courtesy 'rules' on multi use trails, only bikes have to do that.

  14. #589
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    4,738
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^Walkers and others don't have to obey the courtesy 'rules' on multi use trails, only bikes have to do that.
    It's actually pretty rare for me to have conflicts... most people I encounter are nice and polite.

    I felt bad for coming up so quickly on the family and had to skid to a stop. I'm pretty sure they weren't happy and technically they are allowed to be there as far as i know.

    I just don't understand why someone would want to take their toddlers on a hike up a steep downhill free ride mountain bike trail with jumps and drops and bermed corners when there is a nice, safer, climbing and hiking trail right next to it that goes the same place...

  15. #590
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,053
    5 yrs ago I biked the Camino de Santiago, we would come up on some pilgrims walking , warn them by hitting the bell 2 or 3 times but they were always deep in thot SO hit the brakes to skid the back tire and ... scare the fuck out of them

    But if you don't warn them with a skid you scare the fuck out of them when you pass
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-06-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  16. #591
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    7,088
    "Rules of the trail" are a crutch for people who lack common sense and courtesy. Reasonable, rational people get along just fine without any written or enforced rules.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  17. #592
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    9,011
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    "Rules of the trail" are a crutch for people who lack common sense and courtesy. Reasonable, rational people get along just fine without any written or enforced rules.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This....

  18. #593
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Probably depends on the bike. Dpx2 made a significant difference compared to the monarch on my hightower, but I've ridden other bikes where I think the difference would be less noticeable. And that's assuming the shocks are both tuned for the frame.
    2011 Reign, last version before the 27.5 redesign. Any thoughts on the Topaz? A friend has a BTI login and can get me one for $325.

    While it's technically an "old" bike, last year I put a new fork, wheels and drivetrain on and warrantied the frame. So, for practical purposes it's not old at all besides the unrideable 26" wheels and I plan on keeping it a while.

  19. #594
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    7,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    2011 Reign, last version before the 27.5 redesign. Any thoughts on the Topaz? A friend has a BTI login and can get me one for $325.

    While it's technically an "old" bike, last year I put a new fork, wheels and drivetrain on and warrantied the frame. So, for practical purposes it's not old at all besides the unrideable 26" wheels and I plan on keeping it a while.
    Haven't spent much time on any of the DVO stuff. General impression is that it's pretty tunable, but maybe a little less user friendly than the Fox / Rockshox option. And their stuff tends to be heavy, for whatever that's worth.

    Seems like a decent deal though, and I haven't heard of any significant issues with the Topaz. If you're at least moderately inclined towards tinkering with settings, I'd probably just go with the Topaz.

  20. #595
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Haven't spent much time on any of the DVO stuff. General impression is that it's pretty tunable, but maybe a little less user friendly than the Fox / Rockshox option. And their stuff tends to be heavy, for whatever that's worth.
    Weight doesn't seem to be an issue on the Topaz. Listed weights are identical to a Monarch+ and about 10% lighter than a DPX2. I'm not a neurotic tuner/fiddler type, but from what I've read the tunablility is closer to Fox/RS than, say, Cane Creek. The only extra adjustment option beyond rebound, 3-pos compression switch and volume reducers you find on Fox/RS is the bladder air pressure. The bladder system sounds pretty legit.

  21. #596
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    7,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Weight doesn't seem to be an issue on the Topaz. Listed weights are identical to a Monarch+ and about 10% lighter than a DPX2. I'm not a neurotic tuner/fiddler type, but from what I've read the tunablility is closer to Fox/RS than, say, Cane Creek. The only extra adjustment option beyond rebound, 3-pos compression switch and volume reducers you find on Fox/RS is the bladder air pressure. The bladder system sounds pretty legit.
    I guess for tuning I mostly meant that dvo seems much more supportive of getting into the internals and messing with the shim stacks and that sort of thing. But yeah, as far as external adjustments, they all seem semi comparable.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  22. #597
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    8,159
    Ah, yeah, no plans to get into the internal stuff.

  23. #598
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Ah, yeah, no plans to get into the internal stuff.
    Be aware that you have a variety of shock size options on that bike, you can go to a 200x57 shock and get more travel, or go to a shorter shock and get a lower bottom bracket and slacken your head angle.

    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/thre...-length.54273/

    http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/stories/2016/04/07/full_Metric_Shock_Sizing_711223.jpg

    IMHO, a 7.5x2.00" coil shock would be pretty trick on that bike.

  24. #599
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    4,738
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Haven't spent much time on any of the DVO stuff. General impression is that it's pretty tunable, but maybe a little less user friendly than the Fox / Rockshox option. And their stuff tends to be heavy, for whatever that's worth.

    Seems like a decent deal though, and I haven't heard of any significant issues with the Topaz. If you're at least moderately inclined towards tinkering with settings, I'd probably just go with the Topaz.
    My honzo has a dvo sapphire. Its amazingly tunable, a little heavy and feels really, really good.

    It's only set at 120 and its kindof shocking some of the stuff I ride over... just as fast as people with 150 and 160 travel bikes...

    It does seem more prone to small nicks and abrasions than the pike that was on my process was... just cosmetic.

  25. #600
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,053
    Lower end rental bikes that suck

    I mean sure they are gone suck to ride but the bike I had today only had 234 on a 6 spd cog, the brakes were close to the bar and one of the grips was all chewed to shit and sliding around

    I managed to adj the brakes and undo the limit screws using the end of a bike lock key for a Phillips, who does this kind of shit to a bike?

    I can expect this kinda shit on the 3rd world but I'm in Spain
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •