Page 90 of 247 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 6158
    These luscious (freakish) long legs. I get a new bike, think I can get away with a low stack, and pay for it with back pain and numb hands. I know raising the bars will take care of the problem, but it comes at the expense of handling. Also, the cheap fork I got was cheap because it has a 6 3/4" steerer, which means I've got to sport for some goofy high rise bars to make the new bike fit properly. #FWPRant
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Press-fit bottom brackets.
    Check out the threaded PF BBs from Wheels Manufacturing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Check out the threaded PF BBs from Wheels Manufacturing.
    Those look promising! The bike shop said they'd call once they take a look; if they think replacement is the way to go, I'll ask them to install one of those.

Shimano. Their road disc levers have a larger brake fluid port than MTB. Which requires a $3.00 adapter to use a MTB bleed kit. Sons of bitches!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Shimano. Their road disc levers have a larger brake fluid port than MTB. Which requires a $3.00 adapter to use a MTB bleed kit. Sons of bitches!

Just be thankful it’s not $12.00!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

On that note, I had the end of a Der. cable unravel while trying to re-thread it through a cable end.

Called shop 1. "No the cables we have are not Shimano but they are equally as good".

Called shop 2. "Young woman answers, when I asked to be put in to the bike shop, she laughs and says she is in the bike shop". I describe what I want, "yep, no problem come on in".

Get to shop 2, " Bro-brah"takes me to the wall rack, points at a Dura Ace/XTR cable, "says these are worth the extra $$$, $ 19.95 ea". I laugh and ask for Kara. She comes out of the back with a couple of standard cables @ $ 4.00 ea, asks if I need cable ends, and then sends me on my way a happy camper. $ 19.95....... bwhahahahahahahahahaha.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    On that note, I had the end of a Der. cable unravel while trying to re-thread it through a cable end.

Called shop 1. "No the cables we have are not Shimano but they are equally as good".

Called shop 2. "Young woman answers, when I asked to be put in to the bike shop, she laughs and says she is in the bike shop". I describe what I want, "yep, no problem come on in".

Get to shop 2, " Bro-brah"takes me to the wall rack, points at a Dura Ace/XTR cable, "says these are worth the extra $$$, $ 19.95 ea". I laugh and ask for Kara. She comes out of the back with a couple of standard cables @ $ 4.00 ea, asks if I need cable ends, and then sends me on my way a happy camper. $ 19.95....... bwhahahahahahahahahaha.
    Shimano makes a couple really high-end expensive shift cables. Sounds like you weren’t interested in those and Kara set you up with a standard one. It’s awesome you initially assumed a woman working at the bike shop couldn’t answer a question regarding if they had cables in stock.

The really expensive ones actually make a big difference in Shimano drivetrains.

What’s the rant?

It’s awesome you initially assumed a woman working at the bike shop couldn’t answer a question regarding if they had cables in stock.
    Its a Shop that sells all manner of sporting goods and has a bike shop attached. Awesome!!!!.

The really expensive ones actually make a big difference in Shimano drivetrains.

Bwahahahahahahahahah.

What’s the rant?

Just be thankful it’s not $12.00!
    Try and follow along.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Last night, was rolling into a stepdown on one of my local trails (maybe 20 feet out, 8 or so down) and right as I was about to take off, a dog ran out of the woods and into the landing area. All I could do was kinda land a bit further to the left than I would have otherwise and hope for the best. Thankfully the dog saw me and got out of the way but I thought I was going to kill a dog for a split second.

Owner was at the exit of the trail a couple hundred yards down, waiting for the dog. I gave him an earful.

Trailforks satellite imagery. I've been researching rides in a number of places. Switch over to satellite view to find snow covered mountains. WTF, Trailforks???

Thin paint that chips easily on expensive bikes sucks. I mean i get it - tools not jewels - but come on. Guess I should have ride wrapped. Better luck next time!

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Trailforks satellite imagery. I've been researching rides in a number of places. Switch over to satellite view to find snow covered mountains. WTF, Trailforks???
    I guess you'll just have to wait until it melts out

Shoulder injuries, waiting for MRI to be available, waiting for doc to have an apt to be able to read said MRI, and, having buzzy new hub internals to taunt me.... 2 weeks in and have gotten 40% ROM back one direction, 5% back in another....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    [nonrant]

Even Caltopo has this problem despite being by far the best topo software out there. Everyone seems to be sourcing aerial images from Google (which sources them from ?? satellite) these days. They pull the most recent images which are usually the highest res ones but may have been taken in the winter.
    There's a function in Google Earth pro that allows you to look back in the timeline and see other images of an area that may be snow free but you have to be lucky to find recent enough ones that the resolution doesn't blow.
    That exact issue gives me trouble in the spring when I'm planning ski trips in the desert and try to figure out where the snow line may be. Ended up paying for Caltopo pro which has weekly "high-res" images that are quite low-res but give you an idea of where the snowline is at least.

[/nonrant]

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Shoulder injuries, waiting for MRI to be available, waiting for doc to have an apt to be able to read said MRI, and, having buzzy new hub internals to taunt me.... 2 weeks in and have gotten 40% ROM back one direction, 5% back in another....
    I'm in the same boat with my wrist. Doc was very optimistic based on Xrays, didn't think an MRI was warranted, and told me I'd be g2g in a couple weeks with a brace. I had to fight the clinic front desk to get a FU appointment on the books just in case. A month later I've recovered 0 mobility, the pain is steady, and an ortho buddy told me there's a good possibility of vascular damage that would impair bone healing. And I keep receiving parts to build the new ride and not being able to touch them. Not psyched.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I did that last summer.
    Totally sucks, I'll probably never play baseball or tennis again.

Who's our doc?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I'm in the same boat with my wrist. Doc was very optimistic based on Xrays, didn't think an MRI was warranted, and told me I'd be g2g in a couple weeks with a brace. I had to fight the clinic front desk to get a FU appointment on the books just in case. A month later I've recovered 0 mobility, the pain is steady, and an ortho buddy told me there's a good possibility of vascular damage that would impair bone healing. And I keep receiving parts to build the new ride and not being able to touch them. Not psyched.
    Scaphoid? Mega vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I did that last summer.
    Totally sucks, I'll probably never play baseball or tennis again.

Who's our doc?
    The othropedic community has more or less figured out how to repair and return an atheletic patient to full function after an ACL tear, and most other complicated but fairly common sports injuries.

However, its still a total crapshoot with shoulder injuries. There is just soooo much going on in and around the shoulder joint, and such a fine line between tightening things up too much, and leaving things too loose that the amount of people that return to previous form is shockingly low (even amongst professional athletes).

Then again, you might get lucky and have an easy go of it, and/or work your ass off and get it back to 90-100%. Shoulder truly do suck, and they start sucking infinitely more when they are loose- Nothing like waking up to both shoulders out of joint and having to get your partner to flip you over so you can slip them back in.

I fucked up both my shoulders on separate occasions. Right shoulder ended up being a fracture in the “ball” end of my humerus and took a year to heal (ski injury). My left was a rotator cuff tear that will never heal to 100% (bike injury). I don’t throw lefty so I can still play catch with my kiddo. Both injuries took a couple different docs to sort out and weeks of physical therapy.

I’ve been toning it down with the ski and bike idiocy since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Even Caltopo has this problem despite being by far the best topo software out there. Everyone seems to be sourcing aerial images from Google (which sources them from ?? satellite) these days. They pull the most recent images which are usually the highest res ones but may have been taken in the winter.
    There's a function in Google Earth pro that allows you to look back in the timeline and see other images of an area that may be snow free but you have to be lucky to find recent enough ones that the resolution doesn't blow.
    That exact issue gives me trouble in the spring when I'm planning ski trips in the desert and try to figure out where the snow line may be. Ended up paying for Caltopo pro which has weekly "high-res" images that are quite low-res but give you an idea of where the snowline is at least.
    Yeah, I can usually switch over to Google earth for snow free imagery, but without the convenience of having the trail clearly shown. Usually I'm looking to see how clear the trail appears on the ground to judge potential bushwhackery, so obviously snow cover is an issue there. GE is getting better at showing trails on the map. I use RideWithGPS which is pretty good and one of the better ride planning tools. It has fairly low res sat imagery but its other layers are pretty good including scans of old USGS topo maps that tend to show all the old historic trails.

Not a good bike shop in southern Vermont. Hard stop.
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    Not a good bike shop in southern Vermont. Hard stop.
    Truth.

For MTB, head to Alpine Bike Works in K’ton.

For road, Battenkill (Walletkill/Doublebill) is okay.

Just really set in today when I needed a M6 bleed kit adapter for my Magura MT7 brakes. Good luck! Told my bud we live in a bike shop desert, more camels in town than bike parts.
    Harvest the ride.

People who yell at you when you let them know they are backwards on a race course where a couple hundred kids are going to be coming at them. Maybe it isn’t a covid thing. Maybe some people just like confrontation?

My daughter says “You warned them. Why do you care?” The 11 year old is often wiser then her dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Banks1985 View Post
    The cost of group health insurance is crazy. My Job offered me a plan for my family and it was north of $1500 and Me and my wife only have 1 child. I was able to find a company called My Private Health Insurance and get a private plan for half the cost. How do they expect anyone to pay $1500 a month for health insurance for a family of 3?
    Most legit rant yet. Healthcare and insurance is fucked in this country. Glad you found something to suffice!

Can I rave here?

Non-system, old school trails and de facto single track. Been exploring a bunch of trails on the ridge between 2 very busy drainage's. Lot of old school 10" wide snaky single track through the trees with roots and drops and nary a bermed corner in sight. (I see very few people).

Aside from those OS trails there is the de facto single track. Old logging roads that have over grown with shrubs and 20-30' tall trees with 5-7% grades. Tons of fun to ride, away from the sun, dark and green. Lots of berries.

I had fun today. Now its hotter than hell.

$90 for 2 pairs of 4 pot XT brake pads.