Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 1705
  1. #126
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,716
    When you go for a hike with the wife, kid and dogs to check out a new to you trail area and take a spill on slippery leaves. On the way down you smack your knee HARD on a rock. Of course the car is a mile and a half away so you stretch and flex it a few times and decide all is well enough. Before you get there the knee doesn't bend anymore and is so swollen your pants don't fit around it but it's at least well lubed from the blood oozing out where the skin apparently split on impact.

    Now it's four days later and it finally bends enough that I can work the clutch and drive my car again. It's one thing to lose late season ride time from a riding injury, it's another thing when it happens when you're fkn walking

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,720
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Now it's four days later and it finally bends enough that I can work the clutch and drive my car again. It's one thing to lose late season ride time from a riding injury, it's another thing when it happens when you're fkn walking
    I feel your pain. A couple years ago I lost an entire ski season to an injury I got while chasing my kid around the park.

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Up in ya face!
    Posts
    3,446
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    When you go for a hike with the wife, kid and dogs to check out a new to you trail area and take a spill on slippery leaves. On the way down you smack your knee HARD on a rock. Of course the car is a mile and a half away so you stretch and flex it a few times and decide all is well enough. Before you get there the knee doesn't bend anymore and is so swollen your pants don't fit around it but it's at least well lubed from the blood oozing out where the skin apparently split on impact.

    Now it's four days later and it finally bends enough that I can work the clutch and drive my car again. It's one thing to lose late season ride time from a riding injury, it's another thing when it happens when you're fkn walking
    Booo. Sucks man. I'm the king of injury metal, so I been there too. Hang tough and get better.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,234
    cookies: Last night I flopped over on a non technical climb when my front and back hung up on base ball sized cookies. Sprained wrist.

    Of course I could blame this on myself, but I prefer to rant about the friggin rocks.

    As a thread jack, are electric bikes on trails a thing? The only electric bikes I've seen have been tourtist families touring around town. I thought it was very cool seeing 70 year old grandparents, probably on bikes for the first time in fifty years, smiling.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,001
    E-bikes are uncool on non-motorized trails
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  6. #131
    Rant that could be a rave.

    This fucking part.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01931.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	191779

    As near as I can figure it allows Shimano rear Derrs. to be used on different frame sizes and drive train configurations and attaches the Rear Derr. to the breakaway hanger.

    So far I have twisted 2 of these fuckers while riding. 1st time was on the maiden ride and I chalked it up to an over-shift with a poorly adjusted drivetrain and steep climbing with a lot of pedal pressure.

    The other day we were just about to start a descent on a pretty muddy trail that horses has been on in the past 24 hrs, it was kind of a mess and we discussed backtracking the 7 miles we had just come up. We started down and it was not as bad because it was starting to re-freeze. As we came into a corner the mud was deeper and I had to go off to a side to avoid a traffic jam. I rode over a branch about the diameter of a middle finger and heard it snap followed by that unmistakable sensation that if you continue to pedal you will begin ripping out spokes.

    I stopped, dismounted and felt the rear wheel. It wouldn't free wheel. I looked for the stick and saw that the rear Derr. was pushed into the spokes and the part in the pic. was twisted. It was 4:45 with darkness at 6:00, 34 Deg. windy and I didn't have much finger feeling.

    I eyeballed the hanger, gave it a stout twist and it straightened right back out to what looked close. I was able to get back on and descend and after a little ways attempt some pedal strokes. It wasn't perfect but it shifted and pedaled pretty well considering the mud.

    In retrospect should I be pissed this piece of elegant engineering fails so easily?

    Or pleased that it allows for a redundancy to the breakaway hanger. It is about $ 12.00 if I order online instead of $ 32.00 for a replacement hangar. It is also "probably" easier to replace in the field as long as you aren't freezing.

    So, there!
    Mister Man! Mister Man! Mister Man. They left this card.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,331
    When someone never maintains their bike and has zero mechanical skills, so you are the one there trying to fix it in the middle of a ride.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,974
    Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    Rant that could be a rave.

    This fucking part.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01931.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	191779

    As near as I can figure it allows Shimano rear Derrs. to be used on different frame sizes and drive train configurations and attaches the Rear Derr. to the breakaway hanger.

    So far I have twisted 2 of these fuckers while riding. 1st time was on the maiden ride and I chalked it up to an over-shift with a poorly adjusted drivetrain and steep climbing with a lot of pedal pressure.

    The other day we were just about to start a descent on a pretty muddy trail that horses has been on in the past 24 hrs, it was kind of a mess and we discussed backtracking the 7 miles we had just come up. We started down and it was not as bad because it was starting to re-freeze. As we came into a corner the mud was deeper and I had to go off to a side to avoid a traffic jam. I rode over a branch about the diameter of a middle finger and heard it snap followed by that unmistakable sensation that if you continue to pedal you will begin ripping out spokes.

    I stopped, dismounted and felt the rear wheel. It wouldn't free wheel. I looked for the stick and saw that the rear Derr. was pushed into the spokes and the part in the pic. was twisted. It was 4:45 with darkness at 6:00, 34 Deg. windy and I didn't have much finger feeling.

    I eyeballed the hanger, gave it a stout twist and it straightened right back out to what looked close. I was able to get back on and descend and after a little ways attempt some pedal strokes. It wasn't perfect but it shifted and pedaled pretty well considering the mud.

    In retrospect should I be pissed this piece of elegant engineering fails so easily?

    Or pleased that it allows for a redundancy to the breakaway hanger. It is about $ 12.00 if I order online instead of $ 32.00 for a replacement hangar. It is also "probably" easier to replace in the field as long as you aren't freezing.

    So, there!
    Is that just the shadow thingy? What are you doing, man?
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,123
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Do Mormons get rad? Or is that up there with coffee and dancing.
    Some Mormons get rad.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Whizzzzz.....BC
    Posts
    79

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    E-bikes are uncool
    Fixedthatforya!

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Whizzzzz.....BC
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    Oh yes. The classic tiny wiener situation. My real fav is when they try to mount up from a 'rest stop' super quick when they see a girl ripping down the trail to try and 'stay ahead.' Not happening dude.
    +1

    Just own it dudes, everyone needs a break, and many betties can slay you. Simple. Embrace it. Might even get lucky if you're a gentleman about it.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMoJo View Post
    Fixedthatforya!
    I rode an e-bike commuter/utility bike thing and it was pretty cool. A few easy pedal strokes and you are going 20mph on this goofy 20" wheeled bike with a case of beer in the front basket. Only downside is the $3k msrp.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,001
    E-bikes are great for couples with widely differing conditioning, my buddy took up marathons in his last 50's and his wife took up tap dancing but with an e-bike she can out distance him if she wants
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    E-bikes are great for couples with widely differing conditioning, my buddy took up marathons in his last 50's and his wife took up tap dancing but with an e-bike she can out distance him if she wants
    So does he even the playing field with a hover board on the dance floor?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,716
    Fukn knee is taking too long to heal I need to get back on my bike.

    FWIW I recently got a chance to ride a Haibike full squish fatbike and it was sooo much fun. If I had the $$ I'd get one for sure.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,834
    ^^ +1. I won't call the Haibikes "bicycles" but I hear mopeds are usually fun if your friends don't see you riding one so it seemed logical enough. They're too heavy to throw around in all the same ways as a real bike and I totally back not letting them onto bike trails, but I can think of a few hundred other places I'd happily ride one.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virgina (It's humid here)
    Posts
    4,498
    Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    Rant that could be a rave.

    This fucking part.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01931.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	191779
    ........

    So, there!
    As far as your picture goes, Interesting project there with a river knife, hole punch, drywall anchors and part of a derailleur.

    As far as that part goes, I'm personally a fan. Basically, it's a universal derailleur hanger. Can find anywhere. Not unique to bike. Cheap. Super easy to replace. Compared with derailleur hangers: Bike specific. Model specific. Year specific. Integrated with the axle in many cases, so if it brakes your wheel might fall off. Installed with tiny little screws that you might drop in the leaves, or might not have the right tool for. I have a drawer full of hangers for bikes I don't own anymore. I literally can't get hangers for the bikes I have now. They're burly enough that Knolly doesn't sell them unless you beg for one. They just don't break.

    So, I'm un-ranting your rant. But yea, I broke one. And it sucked. Had to go chinless from pretty deep into the woods.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Whizzzzz.....BC
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I rode an e-bike commuter/utility bike thing and it was pretty cool. A few easy pedal strokes and you are going 20mph on this goofy 20" wheeled bike with a case of beer in the front basket. Only downside is the $3k msrp.
    Sure.
    But ya gotsta admit, the buzz you get from hammering out a killer lung and limb based cardio blast while getting dirty and blowing through technical terrain is close to unbeatable in the "non snow" months, right!?

    I'm blown away with just how far MTBs have come in the last 4-5 years. It's crazy cool, and while the prices are also pretty outrageous, a lot of the tech and otherwise pricey frames are slowly trickling into "reasonable" affordability. Look at Giant for example - their Advanced 1 series of MTBs are extremely well spec'd, top drawer components throughout save for a couple in house items (stems, bars); and they offer a no BS lifetime warranty on the frame.

    Anyway - e-bikes are what they are, but I'm personally in it for the pain and gain. Lung and limb. It's a great time and a great workout.

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    208 State
    Posts
    1,999
    People walking up the booters and stopping on a designated flow trail. Don't expect me to be nice about passing you.

    That and people wearing headphones and being startled about me asking to pass three times when I'm right on your ass.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,331
    I get that so much. And like, you're by yourself in the woods, maybe it's a good idea to pay attention to your surroundings? I came up behind some kid hiking alone one day, saying "hey, behind you," ringing my bell, getting louder and louder, he doesn't notice until I'm like 3ft behind him and then is surprised. I said good thing I'm not a mountain lion as I went past, doubt he even heard it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMoJo View Post
    Sure.
    But ya gotsta admit, the buzz you get from hammering out a killer lung and limb based cardio blast while getting dirty and blowing through technical terrain is close to unbeatable in the "non snow" months, right!?

    Anyway - e-bikes are what they are, but I'm personally in it for the pain and gain. Lung and limb. It's a great time and a great workout.
    Well yeah I'm not talking about using one on trail, but for commuting and carrying shit across town it's pretty sweet.
    Last edited by jamal; 11-06-2016 at 01:35 PM.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virgina (It's humid here)
    Posts
    4,498
    I'd almost rather people wear headphones than the ones who have speakers on their packs. Really? You just couldn't find a way of having fun without your cool-guy-life-soundtrack? Just loving the assumption that everyone else out here is psyched to listen to your music too.
    I fart in your general direction.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virgina (It's humid here)
    Posts
    4,498
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Well yeah I'm not talking about using one on trail, but for commuting and carrying shit across town it's pretty sweet.
    I don't get this joy out of busting my lungs and sweating my balls off on long grueling climbs. Fuck that. I get my joy from charging downhill.Give me a 1000m climb up a gravel road that comes back down on killer trail and I'm totally ready to consider a 6-7" travel e-bike. I'm not looking to barrrrap my way down the mountain, gravity does just fine with that. As long as the bike handles like a mountain bike, I'll ride it.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,073
    I've heard the Ebikes are lacking on the downhill... something about the weight distribution. Could be nonsense though but I've read that in several places.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,716
    ^ Depends on where the weight is. Mid drive rather than hub and a battery that's fairly low in the frame help. The one I rode wasn't as nimble as an enduro but really wasn't that bad, kinda felt like some of the long and heavy dh rigs I've been on just a little bit heavier and I bet that their skinnier tired rigs would feel even more "normal."

  25. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

    So, I'm un-ranting your rant. But yea, I broke one. And it sucked. Had to go chinless from pretty deep into the woods.
    Must have been hard to keep your helmet on.
    Mister Man! Mister Man! Mister Man. They left this card.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •