Page 58 of 241 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 6003
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Imo, there has never been a better time to be a MT. Biker.
    Well, maybe not in MT.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    New bike is already old: Yeti finally started shortening the chainstays...model year after yours. I mean, you still gotta lean forward, but now it's the seat angle pushing you instead of the memory of the last front wash out.
    yeah its 2 yrs old now but still runs really well and never fails to wow me when I ride it which is why we ride mtnbikes IMO

yeah junior had told me the big difference was the more upright seat angle which is not enough for me to buy a new bike,

too bad he takes a large cuz if he was a medium I could just buy his cast off every year

as a short AZN man i run my seats all the way forward

edit: is this where i would rant about Luddites ?

I was an early adopter of wide skis at the local hill, when we talked about my JJ's guys would say " my 10 yr old narrow skis are just fine" to which I would answer "well yer wife is fine also but wouldn't you like to have a super model ? " everybody always answered with a silly grin nobody ever said no thanks my wife is fine, and now there are wide skis everywhere
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-12-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah its 2 yrs old now but still runs really well and never fails to wow me when I ride it which is why we ride mtnbikes IMO
    What were you coming off of? I seem to recall you telling us... but I can't remember.

a 2005 Cannondale prophet 1000,

some years I didnt ride much MTB but after 12 years there were definatley enough changes in mtnbikes to upgrade

I finally managed to flog the Prophet this spring for 500$ at the bike swap

a 2005 Cannondale prophet 1000,

some years I didnt ride much MTB but after 12 years there were definatley enough changes in mtnbikes to upgrade

I finally managed to flog the Prophet this spring for 500$ at the bike swap
    Yeah - holy shit... that's a HUGE leap in tech.

I moved from an '01 NRS to the 2010 Reign - similar leap in tech. I rode the NRS recently and I can't believe that thing didn't kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Well, maybe not in MT.
    Yeah fuck region 1.

I'm looking for an electric moto to go trench in trails somewhat quietly and definitely quickly. Once I get good at it I'll probably contract out for anyone with a WSA or recommended Wilderness in a forest plan.

The wilderness society made me do it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Imo, there has never been a better time to be a MT. Biker.
    Or a stoner,
    And rich!
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - holy shit... that's a HUGE leap in tech.

I moved from an '01 NRS to the 2010 Reign - similar leap in tech. I rode the NRS recently and I can't believe that thing didn't kill me.
    I had an NRS in a full custom build, those were good bikes, they felt like you were pedaling a hardtail until you needed rear suspension and then it would go slurp and suck up the bump

I rode the 1st year of reign at interbike in 2004, the back end didnt feel too bad but whatever the fork was it was shit

while the Prophet was a way much more polished bike, to demo the C-dale boys just aired up the suspension according to the little card and away you go for a well balanced/together ride, but nowdays compared to a modern bike it felt like a BMX bike

Also in those days Cannondale used to give the best shop discount of any brand to shop rats, so I also have a CAAD7 road bike which I got for 1/2 price ... more reasons to buy a C-dale

I had an NRS in a full custom build, those were good bikes, they felt like you were pedaling a hardtail until you needed rear suspension and then it would go slurp and suck up the bump
    Funny - we used to joke that the acronym stood for "Not Really Suspension"...

In retrospect, it actually *wasn't* a very good bike, IMO, but for the time... it was light, I guess.

I rode the 1st year of reign at interbike in 2004, the back end didnt feel too bad but whatever the fork was it was shit
    Yeah - those 1st gen Reigns were kind of tanks. And it wouldn't be the 1st demo bike that was ruined by a poor fork-choice.

A Manitou Nixon I'm guessing.

SRAM Guide RSC lever sticking today during a ride and reading up on the issue appears to be a common problem dating back years prior to these 2018s. WTF Sram

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Yep, have the brakes warrantied... then sell them.

I want to register a complaint about cotter pins in cheap shimano brakes.
    How much money does that save?
    Makes it a little bit of a bitch to properly inspect brake pads...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The "uphill has the right of way" mantra, adhered to religiously and without regard to the actual situation at hand. WTF is the purpose of that? To make it unsafe for riders going downhill? Fuck that.

I stop and dismount for equestrians (as much I hate they suck and ruin trails), and stop or ride very slowly past hikers saying smiley love-things (because I want hikers to like riders), but why the fuck is a mountain biker refusing to budge an inch when there is plenty of room, there's a rider smashing down the hill with limited sight lines, and then bellowing "UPHILL ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY."

Dude, you didn't even have to stop riding, just pull to the side, say hi, and we'll both continue on our merry way. Don't suck so hard buddy. Although you're probably so used to sucking hard all the time that you don't even realize that everyone hates you, you churlish rule-whore! So really, I just feel sorry for you. Next time, I'll just monster truck flatten you.
    sproing!

SLX and Zee (and maybe others?) come with cotter pins, but are threaded to accept the pins that come on XT. Deore and lower come with cotter pins and are not threaded.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT...AaAvy8EALw_wcB

Shimano helpfully calls them a "pad axle," which makes searching for them difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

It's not about saving money, it's about getting you to pay more for brakes to avoid the annoyance.

last time I removed & put those clips back on I did it with just my fingers

a flashlight and looking in at the pads usually works for me

My hydro rear brake randomly fading all the way out to no pressure. Happening often enough that now I guess I'll actually have to deal with it. Pain in the ass.

there's a rider smashing down the hill with limited sight lines,
    Read what you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Read what you wrote.
    Yes, I was mountain biking downhill in a mountainous forest on technical singletrack. Strangely, I could not see as far as I could on flat, paved fireroads through meadows.

ETA: this is the rant thread dammit! I'm ranting!! Take your officious rule-following to another thread dammit - I'm here to vent!!!!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    The "uphill has the right of way" mantra, adhered to religiously and without regard to the actual situation at hand. WTF is the purpose of that? To make it unsafe for riders going downhill? Fuck that.

I stop and dismount for equestrians (as much I hate they suck and ruin trails), and stop or ride very slowly past hikers saying smiley love-things (because I want hikers to like riders), but why the fuck is a mountain biker refusing to budge an inch when there is plenty of room, there's a rider smashing down the hill with limited sight lines, and then bellowing "UPHILL ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY."

Dude, you didn't even have to stop riding, just pull to the side, say hi, and we'll both continue on our merry way. Don't suck so hard buddy. Although you're probably so used to sucking hard all the time that you don't even realize that everyone hates you, you churlish rule-whore! So really, I just feel sorry for you. Next time, I'll just monster truck flatten you.
    Agreed. The uphill has the right of way, just like the driver on your right has the ROW when at a stop and everyone arrives at the same split second. Its a hard/fast rule to govern 50-50 situations like when two riders don't see each other until they are on the same section of skinny trail etc. Otherwise, it should usually just be the rider who can safely and easily pull to the side first does so. If there is enough room on the trail for both to pass without stopping and without forcing someone onto a ridiculous line, then even better... just slow down and pass each other.

When im climbing i can usually hear folks descending from above me and im more than happy to get over to the side and take a quick 5 second breather. Nothing better than easing your suffering in the name of good karma building haha. Plus, with that added rest, i now have a little more left in the tank to crush that next section of technical climb (if that is the kind of trail im climbing).

Some people go out into the mtns to relieve stress, rejuvenate, and reset... whether that be through relaxation or adrenaline and finding that laser sharp "flow state". But there are some people who are recreationally offended and they bring that attitude with them wherever they go and look for reasons to feel slighted and angry at all times... makes them feel superior.

My knee still hurts and is likely mildly infected.

Last Sunday I rode the bike over to the grocery store to pick up a few things for supper. Good times. Leaving, go to hop down a simple curb at the back of the store and 'bleeeeehhh this landing doesn't feel right' - front tire sort of folds over on itself, BANG!! thing pops, and bike shoots out sideways from under me.

Scrape on my ankle, knee, knuckle (wtf), apple watch (damn), arm, and shoulder. Got to walk the bike all the way home like a moran with blood coming out of various places.

Now just now at work I smash that fucking knee wound on the bottom of my desk and it FUCKING HURTS. I'm bad at life.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    My knee still hurts and is likely mildly infected.

Last Sunday I rode the bike over to the grocery store to pick up a few things for supper. Good times. Leaving, go to hop down a simple curb at the back of the store and 'bleeeeehhh this landing doesn't feel right' - front tire sort of folds over on itself, BANG!! thing pops, and bike shoots out sideways from under me.

Scrape on my ankle, knee, knuckle (wtf), apple watch (damn), arm, and shoulder. Got to walk the bike all the way home like a moran with blood coming out of various places.

Now just now at work I smash that fucking knee wound on the bottom of my desk and it FUCKING HURTS. I'm bad at life.
    Some years ago I got a new bike- 27.5. Unbeknownst to me, the front tubeless tire was losing air pretty fast - so it would end rides at about 10psi - - I wasn't getting out very often so I assumed it was normal air loss over time when it needed air before each ride. I thought I was just having trouble adjusting to a different wheel size. I was crashing once or twice a ride, at speed or in tech sections, and it took me 3 rides to figure out it was actually the front tire getting flat.

Point is, soft front tires suck and have bad repercussions. Sorry dude. heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Yes, I was mountain biking downhill in a mountainous forest on technical singletrack. Strangely, I could not see as far as I could on flat, paved fireroads through meadows.

ETA: this is the rant thread dammit! I'm ranting!! Take your officious rule-following to another thread dammit - I'm here to vent!!!!
    But you're in the wrong.