Page 50 of 246 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 6150
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have no idea how people ride without dropper posts..
    Clumsily.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have no idea how people ride without dropper posts. On some trails, I use it more than my shifter.
    If its just a cruiser trail where you pedal along you don't need one. Similarly, a lot of the stuff i ride is a long ass fire road or singletrack slog to a long continuous descent... another place that a quick release would work just as well. But on any trail that has some up and some down a dropper is vital to me. Especially im tall and like to move around on the bike a lot.

I'm so fed up with my reverb. I never use the thing because I figure it will just break again. So what happened? It broke! The permanent connection between seat post and seat clamp is loose...again. What a pos. I don't need one. Mtn biking for over 30 yrs now and never needed one, so why now? Have there been moments where it's been nice? Sure, but I can certainly manage without.

The dropper has to be the most significant tech the overlords have added to the bicycles over the last 20 years. name one that's been a better development.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    The dropper has to be the most significant tech the overlords have added to the bicycles over the last 20 years. name one that's been a better development.
    Boost! No, wait, super boost!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Clutch derailleur with 1x. 10 times greater than dropper

Fanny packs!

#enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Or group trail runs. When I was living in Bozeman I showed up to South Cottonwood trailhead after work one day to be informed by a man at a fold-out table that "40 or so" trail runners would be arriving in 30 minutes. WTF.
    they start as a group of trail runners, but they devolve into many groups of 2-3 runners due to their differing fitness levels. so you dismount every 45 seconds for 15 minutes. the worst. with that being said, those group runs or group bike rides are allegedly a great place to meet people and that's a positive thing to bring people together....maybe do it on less popular trails though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I'm so fed up with my reverb. I never use the thing because I figure it will just break again. So what happened? It broke! The permanent connection between seat post and seat clamp is loose...again. What a pos. I don't need one. Mtn biking for over 30 yrs now and never needed one, so why now? Have there been moments where it's been nice? Sure, but I can certainly manage without.
    The Reverb has been crap since the day it was released. Get a reliable post and enjoy. I’ve been riding droppers for 8 years and have never had an issue. I would never mtn bike without one.

Tubeless is pretty up there.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I think reliable and effective hydro disc brakes might rival dropper posts for most significant tech in the last 20 years. Hayes brakes of the early 2000s blew my mind after using v-brakes and cantis.

But don't get me wrong, I can't fully enjoy a ride without a dropper.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is the answer, tubeless is the best thing to happen, ever.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I think reliable and effective hydro disc brakes might rival dropper posts for most significant tech in the last 20 years. Hayes brakes of the early 2000s blew my mind after using v-brakes and cantis, U-brakes and Roller Cams.
    x2

#1 Tubeless
    #2 Hydro Disc Brakes
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I get the group ride hate, but I also just hate popular trails in general, because I'm an obnoxious misanthrope that doesn't like having to get off my bike.

That said, the right sort of group ride is incredible. There's a lot to be said for mobbing a fun, familiar (ideally directional) trail with 5 people in front of you, and another 5 behind, all pushing hard. It elevates the experience for me, sort of like when you've got a big crew on the ski hill and you're all playing follow the leader off side hits and heckling each other. Big fan.

Group rides have their pluses and minuses.

I just think it's funny how many people here are annoyed when they go to a popular trail and run into a group ride / run. That's kinda the nature of popular trails. The solution isn't for the group to go to a less popular trail - that would then make that trail popular. If you can't find a trail that doesn't have group rides on it, you need to look harder.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yes, but that would be Stans...or whoever was first. I have no issues running a tube with stans inside either. Little heavier, but I don't care about weight. Although, I run straight tubless now.

MIPS helmet is annoying. The thing always moving around drives me nuts. I get the added protection, but ahh man. I guess I need to just deal with it. I keep thinking its loose.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Fanny packs!

#enduro
    Brostaches

#enduro

Group rides have their pluses and minuses.

I just think it's funny how many people here are annoyed when they go to a popular trail and run into a group ride / run. That's kinda the nature of popular trails. The solution isn't for the group to go to a less popular trail - that would then make that trail popular. If you can't find a trail that doesn't have group rides on it, you need to look harder.
    Since I brought it up allow me to clarify. I have the good fortune to usually be able to ride when our trails are not crowded, early/late/weekdays, my rant had nothing to do with that.

10-20 people showing up en mass at a popular trailhead creates friction with other user groups and pisses already cranky non biker people off.

The ride that I was specifically talking about is the local group ride scheduled for Sourdough (2nd most popular multi-use trail in town) on a Thursday night (been rained/snowed out the past 2 weeks, someone is sending a message).

^^Yep not a big MIPS fan either. I wear one sometimes but I don't really like it.

Dropper posts suck. The only time I ever remember to use it is to make it easier to stop, getting on and off the bike is easier with the seat down. I'd rather have a suspension post but that's because I'm the Luddite still riding hardtails.

Tubeless = whatever. I never got flats and don't like my tires super low anyway so it's not that huge a thing for me.

It's too bad there are more crappy hydro brakes than good ones and that the good ones have to cost so damned much.

I had some Hope Minis that worked well but the fluid was far too toxic. (DOT 5)

I use XTs now and marvel at how hassle free they are.

Regular riding buddy uses SRAM and swears at them but he is a hoss at 230. How much weight you carrying?

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

1. Disc brakes. I’ve used Deores and whatever entry level Sram, and they work better than any rim brake ever. Or upgrade to SLX/XT/ZEE/Saints for minimal investment

2. Dropper. Seems like they’ve become vastly more reliable in the last couple years. Since the DH rig doesn’t need one, brakes get the #1 spot. But on any other bike, I don’t even want to get on/off without the post dropped.

3. Modern suspension. Like sex and pizza, even bad modern suspension is pretty good. And when it’s good, it’s fantastic.

4. Tubeless. Non-UST Tubeless that is.
    However many are in a shit ton.

So... MIPS is bad? I don’t have it on my cycling helmet but I do on my ski, (Sweet), helmet and I don’t even notice it’s there. Maybe this is a brand specific or it’s not sized properly? I was thinking of getting my next cycling helmet with MIPS.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My mips has little rubber tabs that keep it centered and it doesn't move around.

I want to say I felt it working that time my head was dragging along the ground. But it was also soft grass so not a hard impact.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    So... MIPS is bad? I don’t have it on my cycling helmet but I do on my ski, (Sweet), helmet and I don’t even notice it’s there. Maybe this is a brand specific or it’s not sized properly? I was thinking of getting my next cycling helmet with MIPS.
    Only downsides of mips that I've found is that it costs a bit more and it's warmer.