Page 39 of 246 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Actually they’re doing that here on two high traffic trails. The existing trails will remain multi use but bikes will be uphill only. New bike only downhill directional trails will go in more or less adjacent to the current trails. I’m excited. I’ve mostly avoided descending each trail entirely even though one was fun and also provided the only link to another area. Now We’ll be able to descend each at speed and link up other stuff.
    Sweet! Which trails?

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Actually they’re doing that here on two high traffic trails. The existing trails will remain multi use but bikes will be uphill only. New bike only downhill directional trails will go in more or less adjacent to the current trails. I’m excited. I’ve mostly avoided descending each trail entirely even though one was fun and also provided the only link to another area. Now We’ll be able to descend each at speed and link up other stuff.
    That's awesome. Where's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I'm north of you in Toronto. Shipping wheels is likely not cost effective but if you're willing to pursue, by all means let me know what 26 inch QR wheels you'd like to unlaod.
    I'll try to get downstairs tomorrow and see what there and will let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Steamboat recently did just this. There's a really popular trail right out of town called "Spring Creek" that apparently can get really busy - they built a parallel, bike-only DH trail along the creek. It's... brilliant, I tell ya. Brilliant!
    30+ years ago, when mt bikes were young, we used to go up Buff Pass Rd and rip Spring and Fish Creek trails down. By the early 90's they dialed in Spring Ck and it was scary fast on those old full rigid bikes but it was finally climbable.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Steamboat recently did just this. There's a really popular trail right out of town called "Spring Creek" that apparently can get really busy - they built a parallel, bike-only DH trail along the creek. It's... brilliant, I tell ya. Brilliant!
    They were building that last summer, right? Is it complete?

Wasn't sure it was actually done yet...

Winter cycling bibs that don't have a fly. Who thought taking a piss could be so difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Winter cycling bibs that don't have a fly. Who thought taking a piss could be so difficult?
    So fkn true. 4 or 5 years ago Giro made winter bibs with a pad and fly and the inside is flocked with merino wool. I treasure the pair I have and hope they last forever. They also have 3 pockets on the rear like a road Jersey. Good luck finding a pair, I think they only made them 1 or 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    They were building that last summer, right? Is it complete?

Wasn't sure it was actually done yet...
    We were there in October and the whole trail was roughed in, but there were still "trail closed" barriers up. A couple mates road it anyways, and happened upon a FS ranger that was apparently GPS'ing it. So it must have been pretty close to officially opening.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Sweet! Which trails?
    Knowing where beaterdit lives and does a lot of his riding, my guess is SLC foothills BST. The master plan shows plans for new downhill bike-only trails in Dry Creek (with an extension all the way to the top of Twin Peaks!) and from the "starfish" junction just west of Bobsled all the way down to the lower City Creek TH. There's also going to be some DH-only trails in the North City Creek/Terraces zone and above the Zoo. Should be pretty awesome when it's all in.

https://altaprojects.net/foothills-map/#/
    Last edited by Dantheman; 01-15-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So fkn true. 4 or 5 years ago Giro made winter bibs with a pad and fly and the inside is flocked with merino wool. I treasure the pair I have and hope they last forever. They also have 3 pockets on the rear like a road Jersey. Good luck finding a pair, I think they only made them 1 or 2 seasons.
    My next complaint was winter bibs with no damn pockets. A little pocket to keep a phone warm and the battery from crapping out would be a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    My next complaint was winter bibs with no damn pockets. A little pocket to keep a phone warm and the battery from crapping out would be a no brainer.
    👍

Speaking of the Foothills Plan, there’s another meeting next week:

Notice: On Wednesday, January 23rd at 5:30pm, the Salt Lake City Planning Commission will hold a public hearing to consider the Draft Salt Lake City Foothills Trail System Plan. The Planning Commission’s meeting agenda for January 23rd is below.

You are receiving this notice because you previously provided input on the development of the Draft Salt Lake City Foothills Trail System Plan. To stop receiving notices and updates regarding the Foothills Trail System Plan, please email OpenSpaceComments@slcgov.com and request to be taken off the email list.

Information on plan development, including the current draft plan, are available at www.slcparks.com/TrailsPlan.

Foothills Trails Master Plan - Representatives from the Parks and Public Lands Division of the City will provide an overview of the Foothill Trails Master Plan and ask the Planning Commission to forward a recommendation to the city council regarding adopting the plan. The Plan provides guidance on the location of future trails, trail management, and trail maintenance for trails located in the foothills of the mountains on the eastern and northern portions of the City. The Foothill Trails Master Plan includes lands that are located in parts of City Council District 3 (represented by Chris Wharton) and City Council District 6 (represented by Charlie Luke). Staff Contact: Lewis Kogan at 801-972-7828 or lewis.kogan@slcgov.com

Doesn’t sound like much public input at this one, but I might try to check it out. I’ve fallen out of the loop on this over the past year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My tactical light isn’t compatible with the Nerf rail system
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9366.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	264717
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Sweet! Which trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That's awesome. Where's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Knowing where beaterdit lives and does a lot of his riding, my guess is SLC foothills BST. The master plan shows plans for new downhill bike-only trails in Dry Creek (with an extension all the way to the top of Twin Peaks!) and from the "starfish" junction just west of Bobsled all the way down to the lower City Creek TH. There's also going to be some DH-only trails in the North City Creek/Terraces zone and above the Zoo. Should be pretty awesome when it's all in.

https://altaprojects.net/foothills-map/#/
    Yeah, this, SLC foothills area., Dry Creek, and City Creek. I doubt the new trails will be terribly interesting but the Dry Creek one at least will have to be an improvement. And- the DH from the top of Twin Peaks to the bottom of Dry Creek will no doubt put a smile on your face regardless of trail character. Also, If I read the plan correctly, portions of the existing City Creek trail will become the bike only DH and hikers will get a new trail. That will be sweet as it's actually a fun descent that we haven't been able to ride fast in years. Plus the extension of directional bike trail all the way from the "starfish intersection" will be awesome.

They're also putting in a small "bike park" at Popperton Park, I'll take it!

Here's the link to the most recent comprehensive draft plan. Warning: 120 page pdf, hurts my computer, bad.

Joe I'll be at the meeting next wednesday. Sounds like they'll vote to adopt or no? Anyhow, it's the first item on the agenda.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Whackadoo weather conditions led to frozen derailleurs mid-ride that refused to shift. Never had that happen before. More funny commentary than a rant. Though, the weather over the past year can suck a dick.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

No fly would be bad.

The most practical one was a Helly suit with a horizontal fly. Loved that.

A few years back we had problems with a guy who would go through one of our trail systems and do some "brushing". Rather than use loppers the guy would break branches halfway up and generally make a huge fucking mess. Not only did his hack jobs look terrible but they created a huge impalement hazard if someone were to crash. He really went to town chopping back the inside of corners claiming it was to improve sightlines, when really it was to straighten turns to improve his strava times. Then he'd go onto one of our local message boards and troll everyone. People were getting so livid a few tracked down his employer and sent them copies of the guys posts and info about what was going on. I normally wouldn't condone this, but in this case fuck him. Not sure if that had an impact but the guy seemed to disappear and hadn't been heard from for a few years. Someone told me a couple weeks ago he is back and sure enough, I see this one one of my trails...

The brush on the low side used to be right up against the trail and hung over creating sort of a cool tunnel effect. Not anymore.....

Fuck trail runners.

Looks like you either need no trail runners, or ALL the trail runners.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It sucks to suck.

Good rants but I use the lever adjustment on my XT brakes as the pads wear in and it seems to me to make quite a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Good rants but I use the lever adjustment on my XT brakes as the pads wear in and it seems to me to make quite a difference.
    considering hydraulic brakes self adjust with pad wear, that's weird
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I take it Palmer doesn't ride in the desert much if he thinks you can get away without using sealant of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    considering hydraulic brakes self adjust with pad wear, that's weird
    Nope, I didn't pay close enough attention to what he was ranting about.

I thought he was bashing the lever throw adjustment. Adult ADHD can be a terrible thing.

Now what were we talking about.

It was definitely a good little rant article. As far as mechanical stuff goes, for me it's internally routing rear brakes. Installation of new brakes on my last bike went 5min for the front, 40min for the rear. Also, on my new Intense the cables are router internally except for a short section in the most vulnerable spot under the BB. I'm guessing it has something to do with the rear suspension.

Last rant for now: over the top color matching. I've never removed stickers from a bike until I bought my Intense.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    He's talking about the free stroke adjust, not the reach adjust. They are not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I take it Palmer doesn't ride in the desert much if he thinks you can get away without using sealant of some sort.
    Yeah. While pinch flats (lack thereof) is the main benefit of tubeless for me, being able to ride through goatheads with total impunity is a close second. I don't like dealing with sealant either, but until someone develops self-sealing tires (not holding my breath) it's a very necessary evil.

My rant for today--How does Pinkbike not have an app by now? Perusing Buy/Sell on mobile sucks balls.