Page 21 of 247 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Wife broke a pivot axle on her carbon 5010 and the threads in the swingarm are trashed. Santa Cruz is out of swingarms (this is the v1 frame) and won't warranty since she's not the original owner. So we're looking at either finding a used swingarm (nothing on pinkbike other than a WTB post) or buying a new frame. She's all of 130 pounds and basically never gets air. Sigh.
    Seems like that's something that might be repairable. Maybe drill / helicoil the insert that the axle threads into?

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Wife broke a pivot axle on her carbon 5010 and the threads in the swingarm are trashed. Santa Cruz is out of swingarms (this is the v1 frame) and won't warranty since she's not the original owner. So we're looking at either finding a used swingarm (nothing on pinkbike other than a WTB post) or buying a new frame. She's all of 130 pounds and basically never gets air. Sigh.
    Like toast said, it's probably something you can fix. Rather than a helicoil, I would look for a t-bolt, similar to what you can get for derailleur hangers. Is the ouside of the frame where the bolt threads open or closed off?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Seems like that's something that might be repairable. Maybe drill / helicoil the insert that the axle threads into?
    Santa Cruz mentioned tapping the threads though they didn't sound confident it would work (depends on how much metal was lost I guess). Not sure how thick the insert is and whether it'll take a helicoil. I'll probably take it to a machine shop and see what they can do. Nothing to lose at this point. Fortunately it's mud season now so she's not missing riding time.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Like toast said, it's probably something you can fix. Rather than a helicoil, I would look for a t-bolt, similar to what you can get for derailleur hangers. Is the ouside of the frame where the bolt threads open or closed off?
    Open. Good point, I'll look into running something all the way through.

Worst case scenario, you could get an axle from a dh bike that's spaced for 157mm, then stick a nut on the outside of it. If it comes to that, let me know, I have some things you could use.

But yeah I'd try a t-bolt or helicoil first.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

So much for SC being indestructible.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    So much for SC being indestructible.
    Is that the reputation? I hadn’t picked up on that.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Will SC sell you a crash replacement frame for a deep discount? Its an expensive fix but may be cheaper than a new rig.

Out of stock. But that's the logical route to take.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Is that the reputation? I hadn’t picked up on that.
    I kind of thought that way after their "watch us try to destroy a carbon bike" Youtube video. Again with their "watch MacAskill try to destroy our carbonz wheelz" video.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Health care / old age / high deductibles / adult responsibilities.

Two weeks ago I performed a flying W into a rock garden. At age 48 it is taking too long to heal from a crash that was a regular thing in my 20’s. While my shoulder just isn’t right the HSA is low from the routine that is kids and so I am giving it time to heal. I still think I’m invincible, but Father Time throws in a reality check every now and then.
    Same here. 52 and ride a specialized downhill bike. Ate shit hard a year ago and learned to tone it down a bit

Sent from my LGMS330 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

I kind of thought that way after their "watch us try to destroy a carbon bike" Youtube video. Again with their "watch MacAskill try to destroy our carbonz wheelz" video.
    Oh, SNAP.

^^ Best YouTube Comment: "They should make their frames out of whatever that post is made out of."

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Pro-tip for those over 40: Don't crash.

Impossible. Too late to the party, and hooked. Trying to find creative ways to crash without fracture.

That wouldn't have happened had he been riding a hardtail

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb15344045.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	430.9 KB 
ID:	216636

"But they look so beautiful, so perfectly sculpted!"

Charlie weighs in on the plague.

The big-walled entry, empty post-apex character is a Zootown feature too. Thanks Ben Horan! Roadies know berms like nobody's business!

Lol. Road bike better for that crap.

It's a really nice photograph, but those don't look fun to ride.

Meanwhile, in Germantown:

Special appearance by Iceman at 0:50

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb15344045.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	430.9 KB 
ID:	216636
    What an awesome looking line. Air required between each turn. Looks like if you have bad timing or just miss you launch into the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Impossible. Too late to the party, and hooked. Trying to find creative ways to crash without fracture.
    The only advice I can proffer: moar speed, pull up.

Come in straight, air over the first lip, skip the second berm, ride the third one... which is how they should have built it. Tight back and forth berms are great when they help you get through some tight trees but that's just unnecessary. Berms for berm's sake = no bueno. Pretty picture tho...

How did we go from this;
    "All these mountain bike trails are really hard on the environment. High long term impact because they weren't well thought out."

to this;
    "Get me a track hoe and I'll plot this thing out like a toll road, keep it smooth with enough room to pass, make sure the grade is never greater than 11%, you'll be able to see it from a jetliner."

How did we go from this;
    "All these mountain bike trails are really hard on the environment. High long term impact because they weren't well thought out."

to this;
    "Get me a track hoe and I'll plot this thing out like a toll road, keep it smooth with enough room to pass, make sure the grade is never greater than 11%, you'll be able to see it from a jetliner."
    THANK YOU!!!🙌

Not all engineered trail is bad. Engineering all trails is bad. Engineering bad trails.....that's sad. It makes me mad. I'm glad my backyard flow trail is rad. As a dad, my son loves the berms and airs that it has. That said, his favorite trail is our local old school hand made single track with all its roots rocks and chundery slate quarry features.