Page 17 of 247 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Always so smug, little guy disease.

You're the one bagging on how other people have fun with bikes Einstein. I'm pointing out that not everyone wants the same things out of trails. Not everyone thinks mountain biking is flat bike paths and hardtail fatbikes.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

There you go again, little fellah, you smug fuck.
    You know nothing about the diversity of riding we have back here. The National Enduro champ rode our townie brodonkulous series ender, last Sunday. And he loved it. We ride fast, shithead.

crab in my shoe mouth

Those hike a bike sections look like they’d be pretty fun to ride down.

A bunch of perfectly buffed single track will put me to sleep. I mean, it’s great for my kids who are under 10, but otherwise I’ll take the hiking trails.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Blurry photos of people standing around and someone on a bicycle in the woods! I'm impressed!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Well this thread is just gold.

We have rednecks, westcoastas, rockies, and ec'ers all living in vastly different areas (even within those geographys) bitching about mtn bike trails and we all really like to ride. Odds are pretty fucking good we'd all have good time riding wherever we happen to be riding at any given moment and maybe even together.

So with that, I need to get my shit together and go for my Weds ride. It's getting kinda cold and I wish I could see better at night, but I have really good beers waiting at the finish line.

<snip>
    Pushing bikes is for fat guys.
    You're probably right. I'm OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Blurry photos of people standing around and someone on a bicycle in the woods! I'm impressed!
    No respect for the National Champion? Yeah, that's totally you.
    Smug little bitch.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I didn't even know "National Enduro" was a thing.

Sad...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So around here one issue we face is that trail users will simply go around the rocks, which widens the trail and increases erosion, which exposes more rocks, which means people go around the rocks, which makes the trail wider... you get the idea.

Some of the trail work has been to address this specifically, which, IMO needs doing. And the resultant "worked" trail is pretty smooth. And probably will be for a couple years until the rocks naturally start getting exposed again.

For the record - I agree with you. I love lots of roots and rocks. But I don't complain endlessly when OTHER people put the time in to maintain the trails I ride.
    The fucking mind boggling thing is that back in the day when we all rode fully rigid MTB's no one rode around rocks and roots looking for an easier smoother route. It didn't happen. You rode for challenge.

Now bikes are so damn good that you can be an absolute noob hack with no fitness and the bike will gobble up everything in its path. Yet since the fucking advent of "digging" and mini bulldozers to create trail and "flow" trail devoid of rocks and roots it has caused this expectation that that's how a trail and riding should be. So now people just cut corners and make their own line because they think the original builder fucked up and made corners too tight or that there's too many rocks and roots in the way. Fuck that. Stay on the trail and ride what's in front of you till you suck less and enjoy it. If something is too techy for you to ride, then get off and walk till you have the ability and confidence to ride it. B-lines around tech do nothing for anyone. They are needless trail braids that allow those that suck to continue to suck.

Fuck IMBA, fuck modern day trail building. This is why I build and ride my own trail. Dozens and dozens of miles of it over the last 25+ years.

Hiking trails make for some of the best MTB trails. Come ride Aggy in Southern Maine. All hiking trails legal for MTB And made up of more rock/root than dirt and purely awesome.

/rant. For now.

No respect for the National Champion? Yeah, that's totally you.
    Smug little bitch.
    And you're dumber than you come off on here if you think what I just posted has anything to do with a guy winning a bike racing series.

You can't even follow a string of thought long enough to realize that I never once bagged on the riding where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    The fucking mind boggling thing is that back in the day when we all rode fully rigid MTB's no one rode around rocks and roots looking for an easier smoother route. It didn't happen.
    Yeah - but there were only about 7 of us.

And you're dumber than you come off on here if you think what I just posted has anything to do with a guy winning a bike racing series.

You can't even follow a string of thought long enough to realize that I never once bagged on the riding where you live.
    No actually you did. Stop it, guy.
    Creaky was always right about you.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Da funnies in here.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Well this thread is just gold.

We have rednecks, westcoastas, rockies, and ec'ers all living in vastly different areas (even within those geographys) bitching about mtn bike trails and we all really like to ride. Odds are pretty fucking good we'd all have good time riding wherever we happen to be riding at any given moment and maybe even together.

So with that, I need to get my shit together and go for my Weds ride. It's getting kinda cold and I wish I could see better at night, but I have really good beers waiting at the finish line.
    Dress warm. I rode from 130-330 this afternoon and it was borderline booty temps. Tomorrow morning will be low 30's for the ride. Booty temps.

No actually you did. Stop it, guy.
    Creaky was always right about you.
    Yeah me an my trust fund and lavish lifestyle agree.

Look smart guy: beaterdit, I and some others griped about current trailbuiding styles, which is very much a ubiquitous thing right now. That it's bad enough that in lots of places the old hiking trails are more fun to ride. Then jackstraw said there's no other way to build where he lives. I said there probably was, it just might take more work. Then I pointed out that we might be talking about different things here in terms of what we're after.

Then you started talking about fat people and walking up trails being stupid when you fail to realize those hike a bike sections lead to 4-5k screaming descents that are fucking awesome. And I'm the smug one.

By all means, keep siding with insanity. It seems to be where you belong.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Da funnies in here.
    Have you seen the national enduro champion? I think buttaflake's gonna propose.

Nothing wrong with a little (or a lot of) hike-a-bike.
    I said that when the hike a bike has a purpose and is a means to an end that's great but so many of our old hiking trails that are open to riding are undrideable for more than a few minutes at a time. The rocks are carved into steps, there is frequently no trail tread to roll on, the ups and downs are so sharp that you're on and off the bike constantly. Sure there are some that are worth the effort but not many which is part of the reason that the noodle style has developed and the stacked loop has become so popular, so that we can maximize trail distance and ride time in small isolated areas. One of the other things that has happened is that we've either been shut out of areas where hiking is popular or to reduce the tension riders have just kind of stopped going to certain places because it's not much fun to get ripped on and intimidated by ignorant trail users. There's an absolutely fantastic spot near me that I've been attacked by dogs several times because there's no leash laws so why would I choose to go back there when every third person is out with their dogs? I'd rather ride the spaghetti trails across the highway and get a nice hour and a half to two hours of pedal time.

Like was said a few posts back, we all obviously enjoy riding and would probably enjoy riding together whether on tight twisties or wide open rolly stuff, the bullshit needs to end.

Well atleast there's no thread drift. I'll wait so I can rant about that......

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I said that when the hike a bike has a purpose and is a means to an end that's great but so many of our old hiking trails that are open to riding are undrideable for more than a few minutes at a time. The rocks are carved into steps, there is frequently no trail tread to roll on, the ups and downs are so sharp that you're on and off the bike constantly. Sure there are some that are worth the effort but not many
    I guess the bottom line is:

I sure am glad I don't live where you live.

Have you seen the national enduro champion? I think buttaflake's gonna propose.
    NATIONAL ------ NATIONAL CHAMPION

Richie Rude ain't no National Enduro Champion.

I guess the bottom line is:

I sure am glad I don't live where you live.

He lives in Westchester County, we're all glad we don't live there.
    Nothing in common with the riding in NH/VT.
    Ride a Bike.
    crab in my shoe mouth

He lives in Westchester County, we're all glad we don't live there.
    Nothing in common with the riding in NH/VT.
    Ride a Bike.
    Wrong.

Dumbass

I obviously don't spend nearly as much time riding VT/NH as you but I definitely ride a wider variety of places than you do on a fairly regular basis. I've been riding at least as long as you have and have probably been to more places around the country and know more about the places that get spoken of in this forum because I've been there. You should ask creaky to share some of his meds before you go off the deep end again.

And you should actually ride a bike, you fat little shit.
    You talk the talk, but you sure as fuck don't walk it.
    Ride a Bike.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I'd like to see a gravel road to the top of those hike-a-bike trails. Much prefer the slow grind if possible. Or a shuttle!
    There are a couple downhills that we've decided are "easier" to hike up than to ride the long tedious slog option to get around via trail.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'd like to see a gravel road to the top of those hike-a-bike trails.

https://www.operator-school.com/

I've definitely thought about it.