Page 163 of 238 FirstFirst ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 5949
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    They had to cut costs in order to maximize profits on their upcoming e-bike launch.
    One of the things I like(d) best about Ibis is that they didn't make a moped.

So my rant is that they didn't hold the line. I guess I'll have to find another DW link bike made by a company that only makes bicycles to replace the Ripley.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    <snip>

And tailgate pads. Good way to scratch your bike and your truck, at the same time.

The Ibis dealer in Missoula is closed BOTH Saturday and Sunday. That's even weirder.

Might be part of why I see few Ibis bikes in Whitefish...I wanted to test ride a Ripmo AF for a year before I found a way to be there when that damn shop is open (spoiler alert: they didn't get my money). There's a dealer a similar distance away in Fernie (open Sat AND Sun!!!), but at the time the Ibis CAD pricing + BC sales tax was not favorable.

And tailgate pads. Good way to scratch your bike and your truck, at the same time.
    Agree with all except this. I've never scratched either my bike or my truck with mine. To me, it's basically a bike rack I never have to remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    I'm sure there's something we're missing given that it is a common phenomena. Maybe there really isn't that much Sunday business? If the owners have kids, better to be in sync with school schedules--or the devout want to go to church--but they can't find some of their 23 year old workers to open the place up Sunday morning in exchange for extra midweek days off?
    Traditionally shops were closed on Sunday because Sunday is race day. I want to say that trend started in the moto world and then extended into the bike world.

Of course these days, most shops aren't going racing on Sundays, and a lot of the races are on Saturdays. But tradition lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Traditionally shops were closed on Sunday because Sunday is race day. I want to say that trend started in the moto world and then extended into the bike world.

Of course these days, most shops aren't going racing on Sundays, and a lot of the races are on Saturdays. But tradition lives on.
    That makes a lot of sense (and I'll also take the Sabbath explanation for SLC--Mormon's aren't supposed to work or shop on Sunday and I can see them being more adherent than most other groups).

When I was racing midwestern CX 10 years ago races were Sunday and attending Sunday races was sometimes referred to as "going to church" ...although many larger shops had shifted to opening all weekend/closing on a weekday.

It all depends on the situation. We closed on Sundays because we live in a weird town that empties out on the weekends as everyone travels.
    Our downtown area is a ghost town on Sundays.

My bike has gotten scratched from transport on others tailgate pads. I don't see how you can avoid that - the downtube and fork leg touch the pad. Any dust at all, and there's inevitably movement between the bike and the pad, so chafing= scratches.

I also don't see how you can strap a pad to a tailgate and expect nothing to get in between the pad and tailgate. Any dirt road use at all, and dust is going to get in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Many bike shops in SLC are open 10-6 and closed on Sundays. It’s like they don’t want to make money.
    Not just bike shops… so many brick and mortar service type businesses are only open when their customers are at work. Boggles my mind. Wage workers literally have to take time off / pause earning money to visit the business…

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    My rant?
    MTBers constantly choosing fashion over form, aka, fads.
    MTB “fashion” in general is pretty ugly and stupid. MTB brands were pushing baggy shorts until recently, 5-10 years after that fad went away for casual clothes, and baggy shorts are not workwise on the bike. MTB apparel colors are pretty horrendous as well.

More idiotic trends are the fanny pack….
    ….
    IMHO - Fanny packs are pretty ideal for the MTB. Allows you to carry repair essentials, small snack, and an extra water bottle - perfect amount for up to a 4hr ride…

Tailgate pads work well enough that I see the appeal…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

My bike has gotten scratched from transport on others tailgate pads. I don't see how you can avoid that - the downtube and fork leg touch the pad. Any dust at all, and there's inevitably movement between the bike and the pad, so chafing= scratches.

I also don't see how you can strap a pad to a tailgate and expect nothing to get in between the pad and tailgate. Any dirt road use at all, and dust is going to get in there.
    Some people don't have a detailer's eye for scratches...it is only a scratch if it is big and deep. Because yeah, anything that makes contact with paint (and then bumps around driving for any distance) is going to start causing fine scratches and marring of the paint.

I suppose you can put some protective film on the bike's contact areas and just not worry about the tailgate. If you put the pad on clean and leave it there forever you'll get marking on the paint...but it should only be clearcoat marring that will buff out if you are just worried about it looking nice for resale.

Of course if the dirty wheels contact your bumper below the pad, that's also going to wear the paint and plastic (and while the plastic is less fragile than paint...you can't buff it out later).

Also gotta be real careful about pedals when putting a bunch of bikes on there...an errant platform pedal bouncing around can chew the the hell out of a downtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    My rant?
    MTBers constantly choosing fashion over form, aka, fads.

- Not wearing gloves; apparently, that whole "connection to the bars" thing is overrated. Besides, who sweats while riding?

-Riding in jeans. Too stupid for discussion. Again, who sweats while riding?

-My third and primary one is platform pedals. ...
    While I agree on the first 2 points, I'd counter rant against the clip-in riders thinking that the only way to be a good rider is riding clips.

Most people don't race, and don't need the extra bit of efficiency climbing. Most people aren't going full send through gnarly rock gardens at 30 mph where clips help just staying on their bike. Most people can't afford to be on crutches for several weeks because they had a 1% odds mistake in a technical section, and twisted their knee or ankle. This even happens to pros now and then - Yoann Barelli's EWS career ended when he blew out his knee falling on a janky low speed feature and couldn't unclip. Saying that people have to ride clips because that's what all the elite riders do is as dumb as saying that you shouldn't wear gloves because elite riders don't. It's perfectly reasonable for people to make their own risk/reward calculation and ride flats to save their knees just like they wear gloves to save their palms.

In your own words <blank pedal choice>, "It's simply a different, unnecessary, skill-set (not a bad thing)."

QBP Stock levels...
    The supply chain is not back to normal yet.
    My email blew up today for the item watch list. These are all items that I'm waiting on, and have been out of stock for over 90 days. I couldn't zoom out my email to get the the whole list.

And still no SRAM 12s chains to be had....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 11.57.38.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	428540
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 11.03.00.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	367.7 KB 
ID:	428536

Anybody noticing employee turnover in bike stores, a great resignation for mo money ?

It got to be hard to staff a store
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Trying to get a part for a Mavic wheelset (rear boost adapter). Crawled through the Mavic tech specs and managed to find the part number. Went to order and found:
    - Mavic seems to no longer have distribution or dealers in the US.
    - Found a few online shops in UK/Europe that have the part but won't ship to the US due to the above.
    - Found a website (mavicbikeparts.com) that says they have the part and can ship to a US address. But although having Mavic graphics and a legit SSL certificate they don't seem to have any connection to Mavic and generally look sketchy as fuck. (E.g. the "Contact Us" page lists a street address in Las Vegas but no phone and the address matches that of a Walmart.)

I can't believe how many 9-5ers bitch that they have to take a break from their boring day as cogs in the machine to buy bike parts (which they won't pay retail for anyway). I mean yeah fuck those service industry folks, fuck them for wanting to hang with their friends and family. Just hire some young dumb kids that don't have to care about hanging with friends or family but somehow are master techs and super knowledgeable about the exact thing I am interested in.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I know a couple of shop bro's who quit to go back to wrenching cars and stuff for mo money and not working Saturdays and not working every day until 6

yeah it was cool hanging out with all that gear, talking about cool bikes, wearing the cool gear, not getting dirty but they are leaving for mo money, cuz you know inflation and everything costs more

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Trying to get a part for a Mavic wheelset (rear boost adapter). Crawled through the Mavic tech specs and managed to find the part number. Went to order and found:
    - Mavic seems to no longer have distribution or dealers in the US.
    - Found a few online shops in UK/Europe that have the part but won't ship to the US due to the above.
    - Found a website (mavicbikeparts.com) that says they have the part and can ship to a US address. But although having Mavic graphics and a legit SSL certificate they don't seem to have any connection to Mavic and generally look sketchy as fuck. (E.g. the "Contact Us" page lists a street address in Las Vegas but no phone and the address matches that of a Walmart.)
    Didn't Mavic die a few years ago?

Geometry trends.

I'm old enough to remember when a bike with <71 degree head angle or >16" chainstays was impossible to turn. That Cunningham guy at Mountain Bike Action assured everyone this was true (it was the main reason that 29" wheels were a dumb idea and no one would ever ride them), and everyone repeated it for ten years while anodizing their 120mm stems purple and drilling speed holes in their cranks.

Now it's apparently illegal to have a wheelbase under 50 inches, and even short-travel XC bikes have dirt bike geometry, because Thad and Becky are definitely going to need a 130mm fork at 64 degrees to ride fire roads in Briones.

At least "trail bike" design seems to have hit somewhat of a sweet spot.

Faackk, you mags and your constant projecting on other people and then hating them for what you think drives them.
    1) Ever think someone rides in flats because they just fucking prefer flats? And they aren't doing it because they give a fuck about how it makes them look?
    2) Ever think someone wears the same fucking bike shorts and jerseys they paid $100 for 5 years ago because they still work? And they actually don't give a fuck what you think they look like? And paying another $200 for a pair of shorts and a new jersey to meet your modern fashion bar isn't high on their priorities?
    3) Ever think shop owners are in the bike industry because they enjoy it, and like to ride on the weekends? And the kids and aging divorcees they can sucker into working for minimum wage and pro deals also don't want to work on weekends, because the only fucking reason they're in the industry is ...... they like to ride with their friends on the weekends?
    4) Ever think people ride Ebikes because they tried it once and it was fun. And their decision whether or not to keep riding ebikes has very little to do with your judgements about their moral fortitude?

FFS with the projecting. Ride your own ride and bitch about the stuff that directly affects you. Like BB standards.
    However many are in a shit ton.

i always find it funny that in spite of the long WB/slack head angle the latest greatest bike ( 64degree head ) angle seems to get around tight trails better than the bike with steeper head angles ( 67 degree head angel ) & shorter wb from 3 yrs ago

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Faackk, you mags and your constant projecting on other people and then hating them for what you think drives them.
    1) Ever think someone rides in flats because they just fucking prefer flats? And they aren't doing it because they give a fuck about how it makes them look?
    2) Ever think someone wears the same fucking bike shorts and jerseys they paid $100 for 5 years ago because they still work? And they actually don't give a fuck what you think they look like? And paying another $200 for a pair of shorts and a new jersey to meet your modern fashion bar isn't high on their priorities?
    3) Ever think shop owners are in the bike industry because they enjoy it, and like to ride on the weekends? And the kids and aging divorcees they can sucker into working for minimum wage and pro deals also don't want to work on weekends, because the only fucking reason they're in the industry is ...... they like to ride with their friends on the weekends?
    4) Ever think people ride Ebikes because they tried it once and it was fun. And their decision whether or not to keep riding ebikes has very little to do with your judgements about their moral fortitude?

FFS with the projecting. Ride your own ride and bitch about the stuff that directly affects you. Like BB standards.
    Rant of the week for sure.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

This guy gets it.

does America have an E-bike problem

or an American problem

Dude is so correct, flats are for podunking. Clapped out baggy kit on fat-ass enduro bros is beyond stupid looking. I’ve been spandex since 1987!
    Come at me. I’m riding in a flannel shirt and jeans, yeah no not ever.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Geometry trends.

I'm old enough to remember when a bike with <71 degree head angle or >16" chainstays was impossible to turn. That Cunningham guy at Mountain Bike Action assured everyone this was true (it was the main reason that 29" wheels were a dumb idea and no one would ever ride them), and everyone repeated it for ten years while anodizing their 120mm stems purple and drilling speed holes in their cranks.

Now it's apparently illegal to have a wheelbase under 50 inches, and even short-travel XC bikes have dirt bike geometry, because Thad and Becky are definitely going to need a 130mm fork at 64 degrees to ride fire roads in Briones.

At least "trail bike" design seems to have hit somewhat of a sweet spot.
    Why do you hate the color purple?