Page 12 of 247 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ha! The 2.8 is just ok. I'll take a 2.3 any day over it unless it's wet or maybe a little snow.
    For me it's totally not about sluggish or any of that because not matter how I play it it's me that's the slug. I like to ride slow and just enjoy where I'm at so that's what I do. Big gooey rubber makes that easier, I don't have to be quite so particular about lines taken, traction is phenomenal and I can ride a ht and have just a bit of cush in the rear while maintaining the simplicity I crave. After riding yesterday I noticed that I had a 3rd best time for me on a particular segment that I love and looked at the leaderboard and realized that I was more than twice the time of the fast riders. For a split second it bugged me but then I realized that they probably didn't see the owls nest or the deer standing 4 feet off the side of the trail just watching me ride by or get to appreciate the golden hour light because they had their heads down and were pounding it out. I'm good with slow

Really like the 150touch higher bb/165 low slung option on the megatrail. Partly because I've sold my dh bike. Mega in 165 w a 180 fork would be fine up the fsr's to the dh trails. Throw it in 150 and I'd take it on a few of the alpine rides. Looks like a fairly quick swap.
    Bit of a thread drift though, it looks like a small megatrail would fit very close to a medium patrol/scout. Looking at swapping my rune frame for either megatrail or a patrol(maybe old stock if there's a sale) to compliment my scout. Really looking at the megatrail most though but wondering what size

Definitely size down with GG bikes. Medium is everybody else's large, etc. They did that intentionally so that medium is centered on the most common height range...or something like that.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Pinkbike being stupid again:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/riding...s-opinion.html

Author does not consider that suspension of the early to mid 90's was total garbage and no real advantage. Suspension wasn't really worth having until the Marzocchi Bombers came out around '97. The rest of the industry didn't really catch up with Marzocchi until they offshored their production in '08 and their quality tanked.

These days, how many people are riding rigid, vs. riding Rockshox Mag 20's or original Manitou's?

http://www.bikemag.com/gear-features...chi-bomber-z1/

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Definitely size down with GG bikes. Medium is everybody else's large, etc. They did that intentionally so that medium is centered on the most common height range...or something like that.
    Ok thanks. Thought maybe I was missing something. Almost every measurement on the small is very close to my medium scout. Scout fits me so well. Same SO is awesome considering the travel difference. Similar bb height is a bit worrisome. The low bb is one thing I like about the scout but I have run that chainring a ground more than a few times. With an extra 40mm travel out back that's sure to happen even more. Might be ok for my usage in the 165 mode and then higher in the 150 for that usage. Makes sense in theory I guess

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    seems to work for a lot of places, including a few in VT. I heard hermit life is way more enjoyable in Maine anyways
    If you think the VT economy is working for most, you're a crack head. Vermont is not singular in it's problems. Tourism has been called the most destructive for on the planet other than war. It destroys, extracts.....even our MTB trails....for shit jobs. One does not have to guess the economic outcome of this industry. It's a by-product of globalism and destroys culture, wages, and the resources themselves.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...-unsustainable

http://www.epi.org/multimedia/unequa...tive/#/Vermont
    Swing away.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 10-19-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    For me it's totally not about sluggish or any of that because not matter how I play it it's me that's the slug. I like to ride slow and just enjoy where I'm at so that's what I do. Big gooey rubber makes that easier, I don't have to be quite so particular about lines taken, traction is phenomenal and I can ride a ht and have just a bit of cush in the rear while maintaining the simplicity I crave. After riding yesterday I noticed that I had a 3rd best time for me on a particular segment that I love and looked at the leaderboard and realized that I was more than twice the time of the fast riders. For a split second it bugged me but then I realized that they probably didn't see the owls nest or the deer standing 4 feet off the side of the trail just watching me ride by or get to appreciate the golden hour light because they had their heads down and were pounding it out. I'm good with slow
    It doesn't have anything to do with speed, although they are not good at speed, it's more when the terrain is a bit sharky they bounce off the side of rocks more than a skinny tire. I'm riding them, but I'm not sold like several others that have them. I like to go fast, but my fast is pretty slow.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So, does one of these fat bike tires have more grip than say, a 2.5" DHF in super tacky 42a rubber...?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    It doesn't have anything to do with speed, although they are not good at speed, it's more when the terrain is a bit sharky they bounce off the side of rocks more than a skinny tire. I'm riding them, but I'm not sold like several others that have them. I like to go fast, but my fast is pretty slow.
    agreed, I tried plus tires on a FS bike last year and it was fun and all but I'm happier back on 2.5's this year. I could definitely see owning a steel hardtail plus bike though, that new Karate Monkey would be a great candidate. Maybe even SS it....

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    agreed, I tried plus tires on a FS bike last year and it was fun and all but I'm happier back on 2.5's this year. I could definitely see owning a steel hardtail plus bike though, that new Karate Monkey would be a great candidate. Maybe even SS it....
    Seriously, try to get your hands on a super soft compound front tire, it's a revelation if you ride lots of choppy rocks and roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    So, does one of these fat bike tires have more grip than say, a 2.5" DHF in super tacky 42a rubber...?
    Short answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Maybe I'd have a different read on the whole plus thing if I was riding a fs bike.

Kinda depends on the situation. Big rubber at low psi does a really good job of wrapping around trail protrusions. And on steep, loose climbs they just kinda churn uphill.

But on hard corners, especially in loose dirt, plus tires can feel pretty skatey. They need to trench in, but they're so big they just kinda slide around on the top of the loose crap. It's like snow tires - you want something a bit narrower to cut through the junk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Never rode a 951 though. What's wrong with that thing? Other than it seems like they break a lot.
    By far the most progressive leverage bike ever made. So bad you couldn't get it to sag anywhere other than about 50% and you'd still only get to about 70% of the travel. Look up videos of people riding them. Always looks like they're ridding some little kid's spring rate.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    By far the most progressive leverage bike ever made. So bad you couldn't get it to sag anywhere other than about 50% and you'd still only get to about 70% of the travel. Look up videos of people riding them. Always looks like they're ridding some little kid's spring rate.
    Huh. Yeah, just pulled up the chart for one. That's... kinda ridiculous.

That makes sense. Had a 951. Besides being a pop can that dented so ez and eventually broke at a known flaw point(swingarm near bottom pivot on the cs) and getting no help from them , it was by far the shittiest riding dh bike I've ever had. Couldn't put my finger on it. The rear end felt incredibly long but not crazy long numbers. No snap in the turns. That leverage ratio may explain some of it. Even tall riders looked awkward and slow in the corners. Nice looking bike. The nice ended there though

Kinda depends on the situation. Big rubber at low psi does a really good job of wrapping around trail protrusions. And on steep, loose climbs they just kinda churn uphill.

But on hard corners, especially in loose dirt, plus tires can feel pretty skatey. They need to trench in, but they're so big they just kinda slide around on the top of the loose crap. It's like snow tires - you want something a bit narrower to cut through the junk.

Spot on. 29 x 2.3 still works best for me after having spent time on plus and fat. They are all fun and capable.

You read that?

I realized that they probably didn't see the owls nest or the deer standing 4 feet off the side of the trail just watching me ride by or get to appreciate the golden hour light because they had their heads down and were pounding it out. I'm good with slow
    Careful assuming that.

I ride as hard as I can all the time. It's the way I'm wired, and I process things fast. I don't know how many times I've passed people hiking or biking and then my wife will here their comments later. Yes, I saw the pair of pileated woodpeckers, yes I do smell the lupine, yes I went fishing in the morning up a trail and ran down and then caught a flight while you didn't think you'd have the time, or couldn't do that anyway.

I've been on some trails more than a hundred times. While I'm flying around on that trail, I'm looking around and seeing all kinds of things because I don't worry about the trail, etc.

You're slow, (for you), ok, good for you. but don't fuck with my zone man.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    You gots the brokenrecorditis.
    I know, right?!
    Talk about having something to bitch about. I annoy myself. /rant
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Spot on. 29 x 2.3 still works best for me after having spent time on plus and fat. They are all fun and capable.
    599b x 2.3 FTW

Note To Self: stop bringing so much water on cool weather rides.
    However many are in a shit ton.

True that

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post

You're slow, (for you), ok, good for you. but don't fuck with my zone man.
    Zing. I just got plugbooted right upside the head

Today I was on a ride on my regular neighborhood trails. My new bike feels fully dialed in and after a day-off yesterday I felt like I was killin' it. Strava running for full-effect.
    And in *mid segment* of the *best downhill* of the ride I came across a group of ladies that I'm friends with. Like 8 hotties all out on a group ride.

I had to stop and chit chat with them and it fully fucked up my Strava time.

Bullshit, right?!

OK Positive Rant.

Had a long day. Hungry but no energy to cook sumthin?

the 10 ounce Prime rib with mashed potatoes for 9.99$ @ the Gold-ranch is heaven.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Today I was on a ride on my regular neighborhood trails. My new bike feels fully dialed in and after a day-off yesterday I felt like I was killin' it. Strava running for full-effect.
    And in *mid segment* of the *best downhill* of the ride I came across a group of ladies that I'm friends with. Like 8 hotties all out on a group ride.

I had to stop and chit chat with them and it fully fucked up my Strava time.

Bullshit, right?!
    FUCK STRAVA. /rant.