Page 123 of 238 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 5949
    Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    Tape the new rim next to the old one, loosen all the spokes. Then swap spokes on the side closest to the new rim one at a time. then the other side, done.
    Well, yeah, of course. Is there any other way?
    But that in no way way addresses the straight pull spokes spinning.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

These work a lot better than standard needle nose or duck bill pliers for holding round spokes. Also useful for windup on DT Revolutions, Sapim Lasers, etc.. And lube your threads.

https://uniorusa.com/products/straig...ers-1753-2b-us

Speaking of wheels, blew up a rear hub the other day. Went to replace it, LBS has nothing of course (COVID supply chain blah blah), scoured the interwebs and finally found what I needed: 28H, J-bend, 6-bolt, 142x12, XD. Ordered it, built up the wheel, mounted the tire and rotor, went to mount the cassette and realized it had a Shimano driver. My order said XD, the box the hub came in said XD, but somehow someone put the wrong hub in the box. I build a lot of Shimano wheels so didn't notice. (The shop I ordered from didn't have the XD driver but gave me back some $$ to cover a replacement, so it's all good aside from having to wait a few more days to get my wheel back together.)

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Snapped a tire lever trying to push pistons back in, bc I’d rather go buy new brakes then try bleeding any SRAM garbage.

Besides Crank Brothers which make the absolute worst shit, a bit back in #2 is the SRAM Brake “engineering” who have for years continually made horrible shit over many generations; Juicy, Elixir, Rival/Apex. May go buy Shimano XT instead of bleeding my SRAM guides when it comes time.

Also WTF do we have flat mounts? Another horrible idea, didn’t we sort this disc brake shit out on mountain bikes over the last 20 years!?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I forget what brand I have, but they're similar to these metal w/ platic wrap. Been so good for my fatbike tires that don't come off or go on.

https://www.bikehand.com/en/product-...t-YC-305D.html

Unrant: The trails at Kanawha State Forest in WV. So good. The previous ranger gave the local trail crew carte blanche, and they went nuts, easily doubling the mileage since I was last there. 100% of it is hand-built, really technical but fast, and good. Not an inch of machine built or flow trail.

Apparently, the previous ranger just waved his hand, ignoring all typical approval and process. New ranger came across guys building trail, found out about the years of technically unsanctioned trail that was built, and rather than freaking out and closing shit down, worked to quickly make it all legit. He even painted the trail builders in a positive light, which came across in a couple articles that also spoke positively about the work done. Cool and kind of bizarre.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    These work a lot better than standard needle nose or duck bill pliers for holding round spokes. Also useful for windup on DT Revolutions, Sapim Lasers, etc.. And lube your threads.

https://uniorusa.com/products/straig...ers-1753-2b-us

Speaking of wheels, blew up a rear hub the other day. Went to replace it, LBS has nothing of course (COVID supply chain blah blah), scoured the interwebs and finally found what I needed: 28H, J-bend, 6-bolt, 142x12, XD. Ordered it, built up the wheel, mounted the tire and rotor, went to mount the cassette and realized it had a Shimano driver. My order said XD, the box the hub came in said XD, but somehow someone put the wrong hub in the box. I build a lot of Shimano wheels so didn't notice. (The shop I ordered from didn't have the XD driver but gave me back some $$ to cover a replacement, so it's all good aside from having to wait a few more days to get my wheel back together.)
    Hunh, I have a pair of those, they were for tightening cables way back in the day, I use them for zip ties. Good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Unrant: The trails at Kanawha State Forest in WV. So good. The previous ranger gave the local trail crew carte blanche, and they went nuts, easily doubling the mileage since I was last there. 100% of it is hand-built, really technical but fast, and good. Not an inch of machine built or flow trail.

Apparently, the previous ranger just waved his hand, ignoring all typical approval and process. New ranger came across guys building trail, found out about the years of technically unsanctioned trail that was built, and rather than freaking out and closing shit down, worked to quickly make it all legit. He even painted the trail builders in a positive light, which came across in a couple articles that also spoke positively about the work done. Cool and kind of bizarre.
    That's awesome. I'm pretty envious.

Our local state forest is mostly annoyed that the trails get in the way of logging. Those are trails that are legal, sanctioned, and the local bike club has to pay the state $5k / year just to preserve public access.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    100% of it is hand-built, really technical but fast, and good. Not an inch of machine built or flow trail.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    All I can say is FUCK straight pull spokes, right in the fucking eye.
    Having to use duck bill pliers to build a wheel is bullshit.
    What should have been a 1/2 hour rim swap was like an hour, what with the stupid things spinning all around.
    Jbend FTMFW.
    I usually get really pissed off halfway through, overwind the hell out of the spinning spokes, unwind them to get close, then use pliers and a rubber lid gripper to try to keep them still.

I admit, it's not a great plan.

Specialized rep rolls in with a fleet of new ebikes last week. Takes everyone at the local Specialized dealer out for a show and tell tour. Which is great - sounds like the gen 3 bikes are rad. Except they all go ride a bunch of trails that aren't legal on ebikes and where there's already a bunch of tension with the land managers and the neighbors, and there's constant issues with user conflict. Great move guys.

And (separate but related), there's this hilarious ad on Pinkbike today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poking the Grinch.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	376738

^wtf to both. Wow just wow

I love the combination of advertising removing speed limits from ebikes with photo of a woman wearing no helmet.

It’s an ingenious plot to give beginner e-bikers TBI’s.
    Well played, anti e-bike lobby!

Boise foothills "Karens" wanting more signs telling them that their little rat dog might be in danger of being attacked by coyotes. We don't need more fucking signs for obvious risks to your dog or cat.
    As far as I'm concerned, the coyotes can eat all the dogs they want here, good riddance.

#coyotesnacks

Their website contains a disappointing level of lulz: https://www.speedbox-tuning.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Boise foothills "Karens" wanting more signs telling them that their little rat dog might be in danger of being attacked by coyotes. We don't need more fucking signs for obvious risks to your dog or cat.
    As far as I'm concerned, the coyotes can eat all the dogs they want here, good riddance.

#coyotesnacks
    And now I'll be singing "Dead Coyotes" in my head all day. Thanks for that!

Hasn't been said recently... fuck Specialized.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Except they all go ride a bunch of trails that aren't legal on ebikes and where there's already a bunch of tension with the land managers and the neighbors, and there's constant issues with user conflict. Great move guys.
    We saw a guy on an ebike yesterday riding a trail that has mutliple large signs saying "No E-Bikes" in a similarly high tension area. Wish you could remotely lock up the pedals on those things and send someone over the bars. I'm sure ebikes are great and I have nothing against those who want to ride them legally just don't get trails closed for the rest of us because you spent $12k on a bike and feel the rules shouldn't apply to you
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I want a remote ‘signal jammer’...(for the scofflaws, or like the douche-bitch that basically buzzed my rear wheel for a mile on a very narrow single track climb in Left Hand Canyon, pirate trail.).
    She was all pissed that I wouldn’t pull over, entitled?
    Motorized trails?
    Have at it, let’s party!

Did she ask to get by? I'm happy to pull over to let people pass on singletrack climbs but only if they use their words. Otherwise it tends to be somebody who wants to hang but isn't certain they can. In that case I drag and drop.

On my first few rides this season I totally forgot ebikes existed and dropped the hammer trying to stave off the pass (thought I was getting passed back by a human powered bike that had been pulled over earlier). Ended up being an ebiker climbing at a fast but not stupid fast pace.

I want a remote ‘signal jammer’...(for the scofflaws, or like the douche-bitch that basically buzzed my rear wheel for a mile on a very narrow single track climb in Left Hand Canyon, pirate trail.).
    Motorized trails?
    Have at it, let’s party!
    So, you got pissy over someone not following the law... on a pirate trail? And you wouldnt let someone pass you on a climb, because they struck you as entitled?

He can respond but ebikes are allowed and massively popular at Left Hand DH trails

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Did she ask to get by? I'm happy to pull over to let people pass on singletrack climbs but only if they use their words. Otherwise it tends to be somebody who wants to hang but isn't certain they can. In that case I drag and drop.

On my first few rides this season I totally forgot ebikes existed and dropped the hammer trying to stave off the pass (thought I was getting passed back by a human powered bike that had been pulled over earlier). Ended up being an ebiker climbing at a fast but not stupid fast pace.
    Exactly, she was being all passive aggressive, and didn’t simply ask, which I would have no problem doing. But she buzzed my tire on purpose twice, for Chrissakes.
    Not the way to act if you are trying to gain acceptance.

EDIT: for clarity’s sake, I passed her not once, but twice earlier on the uphill where there was more room. She didn’t like that. She kept yo-yo-ing.
    Last edited by rideit; 06-09-2021 at 04:52 PM.

That is when you lock em up and hilarity ensues.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    That is when you lock em up and hilarity ensues.
    Hilarity like taking out your rear mech or caliper. Have had plenty of almosts from people stacking a tech uphill, no way I’d do it on purpose. I’m all for the passive aggressive approach if you can’t use your words like please and thank you like a grown adult. Through haven’t seen too many e-bikes locally, though do know a few guys with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't ride a bike to get into shit. Someone comes up behind me I am the 1st person to suggest that they play through when the trail permits. Someone I don't know buzzes my rear tire and there are going to be problems particularly if it isn't the 1st time.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"