Page 101 of 247 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 6158
    Broken supply chains suck. I'm so tired of companies telling me that orders are pushed back repeatedly due to this or that issue. Running out of stuff to sell has put a real crimp in my ability to earn $$ and it's really starting to hurt. Fuck 2020 and fuck the fact that everyone counts on everything coming from the Far East.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    Try standing the bike vertical so the lever is the highest point in the system, zip tie the rear lever down so it's engaging the brake, then leave it overnight. Bleed the lever the next morning and you should get a little bit of air out and be good to go.
    That is precisely what I did from 10:00 am to 2:00 PM, fixed it up perfectly!

In other news, at 7:45 I got an item watch text from QBP that they had 6 Fox 38’s in stock. By the time I logged on at 7:47, they were all gone...
    Last edited by rideit; 10-27-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    In other news, at 7:45 I got an item watch text from QBP that they had a Fox 38 in stock. By the time I logged on at 7:47, they were all gone...
    And by 8:09, 40% of them had been sent back to fox to fix the creaky steerer tube.

LOL

EDIT: Good rant, the new TiT hose routing on the ‘21 Altitude is SO much more dialed than the last iteration. A lot of attention to detail on the new frame with water bottle placement, (fits at least a 28 oz water bottle), room for a frame bag. Made building it up a total treat.
    Last edited by rideit; 10-27-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

An old one but still: the demise of 26” bike parts. I have two 5’-2” ladies in my household who are very skilled riders. They are both on 26” Julianas. They fit them very well. Jumping up to 27.5” is going to force them onto a frame with worse angles and wheelbases for them. I’m pissed that the industry is going to make them downgrade. So for now I’m holding their bikes together with NOS and McGuyver tricks but at some point something’s going to blow and it’ll be over. Already have one fork that is starting to leak.

I supposed I could alternatively rant that the ladies in my house are 5-2, but that seems rude. Plus, in case my lovely wife reads this, they are perfect the way they are. Rippers.

My twin daughters are a bit under 5' and also ride 26 because it fits better. It will be a problem in the not too distant future I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Broken supply chains suck. I'm so tired of companies telling me that orders are pushed back repeatedly due to this or that issue. Running out of stuff to sell has put a real crimp in my ability to earn $$ and it's really starting to hurt. Fuck 2020 and fuck the fact that everyone counts on everything coming from the Far East.
    Yep. I needed to replace a brake caliper but no one has the just the caliper in stock so I ordered a whole new brake.............from Taiwan. We'll if it arrives before the end of the pandemic.

I was able to get a dropper for my fat bike after "only" waiting 3 weeks.

/\ /\ /\
    I know your pain quite well. Mrs2e is 5’ 2” and shreds. And she’s sooooper picky. All bike purchases are fraught with challenge. Most bikes are designed for 5’ 10 - 6’ dudes and then just shrunk down for smaller sizes. Inevitably, several important things get fucked up in the process.
    Knolly works great for small riders.
    Last time we tested, Pivot’s were good.
    My understanding is that the lead bike designer at Ibis is 5’ tall.
    Wife is currently on a small Commencal DH bike and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

That is every industry everywhere. COVID sucks.

Boisal, when my kids were younger I had to constantly be on them about stopping on the uphill side because they kept falling down hills when they pulled over to let climbers come by. My neighbor did this and fell down off the little tech section before Eaglet on mid mountain by the bench and compound fractured his leg. So yes, you can get punished for your etiquette!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That is precisely what I did from 10:00 am to 2:00 PM, fixed it up perfectly!

In other news, at 7:45 I got an item watch text from QBP that they had 6 Fox 38’s in stock. By the time I logged on at 7:47, they were all gone...
    I've needed an M18 extraction bolt for a SRAM dub crankset and twice now they've gotten 30 in stock and they've disappeared within a day...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    An old one but still: the demise of 26” bike parts. I have two 5’-2” ladies in my household who are very skilled riders. They are both on 26” Julianas. They fit them very well. Jumping up to 27.5” is going to force them onto a frame with worse angles and wheelbases for them. I’m pissed that the industry is going to make them downgrade. So for now I’m holding their bikes together with NOS and McGuyver tricks but at some point something’s going to blow and it’ll be over. Already have one fork that is starting to leak.

I supposed I could alternatively rant that the ladies in my house are 5-2, but that seems rude. Plus, in case my lovely wife reads this, they are perfect the way they are. Rippers.
    Axle to crown length on a 27.5 fork is only about 10mm longer than a 26" fork. You could run the 27.5 fork with a 26" wheel and have only a minor tweak in geometry. Or run the 27.5 fork and reduce travel to keep geo exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Axle to crown length on a 27.5 fork is only about 10mm longer than a 26" fork. You could run the 27.5 fork with a 26" wheel and have only a minor tweak in geometry. Or run the 27.5 fork and reduce travel to keep geo exactly the same.
    This is a good point. I was just assuming a 27.5" wheel upgrade when the fork went but the frankenbike is a good option I hadn't considered - assuming I can keep finding 26" rubber. These ladies ride hard but it's amazing how long wheelsets last when you are 110lbs. So it's really just the forks that are at issue. Thanks Toast.

I’ve got a whole bunch of Conti 26” tires here at the shop. Cheap.

I've got a 26" Mavic 521D ceramic rim, new never laced if anyone can use it. And a 26" rim brake rear wheel only lightly used on a trainer while I was recovering from knee surgery. Both cheap but probably not cost efficient to ship.

If the 26" frames have tapered head tube you can hopefully keep using them for a while. I'd probably still be riding the shit out of my MojoSL but it's got a 1 1/8 straight headtube and it's become very hard to find replacement forks for it. I still love the geometry of that bike. When I sit on it, it feels way more natural than my "modern" mojo3.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    <snip>
    If the 26" frames have tapered head tube you can hopefully keep using them for a while.

I'd probably still be riding the shit out of my MojoSL but it's got a 1 1/8 straight headtube and it's become very hard to find replacement forks for it. I still love the geometry of that bike. When I sit on it, it feels way more natural than my "modern" mojo3.
    I had a 2010 Reign like that. I'd still be on that thing had proper replacement forks been readily available.

I replaced it with a 2018 Trance, which is *surprisingly* close, geo-wise.

Fucking bike industry.

Now good point there. Those Julianas have straight head tubes. Bummer.
    Last edited by EWG; 10-28-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Trust me, other than the money the transition to modern 27.5” wheels is going to be easy.

However many are in a shit ton.

Broken supply chains suck. I'm so tired of companies telling me that orders are pushed back repeatedly due to this or that issue.
    More than once this year I’ve bought something online and get charged 100% immediately. Then get an email with some kind of covid delay with no clear timeline to shipping. I’ve starting asking upfront before paying if the product is in stock and will ship immediately.

When my scrotum gets hung up on the nose of my saddle.
    Shit, got the grippers on but sometimes things get hung up like boxers and short shorts from 1989.

And why the hell hare people clearing shit in pack city? Snag a scrotum and brink some crap!
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Shops that charge $6 for each 10mm aluminum headset spacer. Loose, not installed.

Picked up the frame and fork today. It was on the work-order that I did not want to have the steerer tube cut. (The reason I wanted 4” worth of $6 10mm headset spacers.) Guess what.. they cut the steerer tube. They admitted to the mistake before bringing it out to me and said they are looking for a replacement but its out of stock. Then charged me the $35 for the install.

I was going to buy a headset press and do it myself, but I thought I’d give a local shop some business. Every time I end up regretting it.

Its a steel Salsa Firestarter fork I thought was perfect to turn my old Canfield Nimble9 into a drop bar single speed dirt tourer. Back to scouring Ebay for another one.

At least the turnaround time was quick?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    At least the turnaround time was quick?
    4 days, so maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    More than once this year I’ve bought something online and get charged 100% immediately. Then get an email with some kind of covid delay with no clear timeline to shipping. I’ve starting asking upfront before paying if the product is in stock and will ship immediately.
    I did that this week. We ordered a Tacx smart trainer from our LBS in July, anticipating COVID supply and demand issues. It sounded like Garmin was backordered by about 15K units, and we wouldn’t see it until about February. The owner texted us last week to suggest we look online and he’ll keep and sell the 2 he’s ordered. Turns out Backcountry and REI both have them in stock, and both places confirmed that. I ordered one from REI Monday and it arrived yesterday. No idea what’s up with the distribution to smaller shops. We’ve been making a point to buy local, but it doesn’t alway work.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not saying they can't be had for cheaper, but that sounds about right for a medium quality shift cable.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-St...t-Cable-2100mm
    No idea what their quality was like (of course my dumbass didn't know there were different tiers of quality for cables) but they were sold loose, no fancy Shimano packaging.