Dynafit Beast horseshoe and WTR boots

I'm considering mounting Beast 14s on a pair of Kuros that have been sitting in the corner a while now, but I'm wondering if putting the required horseshoes on my Lange Freetour XT 130s will affect usability in WTR bindings (and not-quite-WTR bindings that seem to deal with the WTR soles okay). Anyone done this and able to report?

Thanks,
    Kevin

And, after digging into the Beast 16 thread, it appears that the STH2 will clamp but "appears" less secure.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...81#post4468181

Anyone tried this on snow? I'm particularly interested in behavior with the STH and with Tyrolia race bindings, as I'm trying to avoid needing to swap boot components between "stand on the side of the hill on race skis" and "go freeski during lunch breaks" portions of my coaching days...

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    And, after digging into the Beast 16 thread, it appears that the STH2 will clamp but "appears" less secure.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...81#post4468181

Anyone tried this on snow? I'm particularly interested in behavior with the STH and with Tyrolia race bindings, as I'm trying to avoid needing to swap boot components between "stand on the side of the hill on race skis" and "go freeski during lunch breaks" portions of my coaching days...
    Two things:

You may need to grind down the spur just above the screws (will not affect Beast or other dynafit performance) to smooth the top line of the spur, and avoid any impact on the heel clamp.

You'll almost certainly need to slide the heel back a few millimeters to accommodate the increased heel length.

I've not done it, but I did similar research recently.

That's precisely the reason I did not embrace the Beast bindings because of the uncertainty of the compatibility of the horse shoes with other alpine and touring bindings. It seems you have to use the Beast exclusively with a boot modified for them, swap between the regular heel hardware and the shoes or have two pair of boots. No one can definitively answer the compatibility problem until, of course, there is a catastrophic injury with that as the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    That's precisely the reason I did not embrace the Beast bindings because of the uncertainty of the compatibility of the horse shoes with other alpine and touring bindings. It seems you have to use the Beast exclusively with a boot modified for them, swap between the regular heel hardware and the shoes or have two pair of boots. No one can definitively answer the compatibility problem until, of course, there is a catastrophic injury with that as the cause.
    Spyderjon and LeeLau have not had any problems with using the Beast spur with alpine binders.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...oe#post4657752
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...51#post4659351

Others have reported no issues with a standard tech binding heels.

I've yet to hear of anyone reporting spur-related issues, and I did a lot of research (Marshal Olson's Blister review of the Beasts, WildSnow beast articles and comments, etc.)...

Not sure what Dynafit's indemnity says, but some facking lawyer writes them so that if you look funny at the bindings, the indemnity probably does not apply.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to go ahead, order some Beasts, and do ye olde "put empty boot in binding, stand on front of ski with one foot, kick at side of toe with heel" binding test after I get my alpine stuff adjusted. If it doesn't seem like a functional fit (or if the horseshoe creates excessive play), I'll start figuring out how to move forward. I'm not particularly concerned about passing an actual binding test—most of my gear is old enough that it's no longer indemnified anyhow—but I'd like some semblance of correct performance.

I've extensively skied beast modded shoes in Markers and can report no issues with beast horseshoe and marker bindings.
    Not sure about others. Personally I would like info on Tyrolia Adrenalin and Solly Guardian compatibility: anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I've extensively skied beast modded shoes in Markers and can report no issues with beast horseshoe and marker bindings.
    Not sure about others. Personally I would like info on Tyrolia Adrenalin and Solly Guardian compatibility: anyone?
    Cross-post that in the Beast thread: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...east-16/page35

Maybe this belongs in the Zero G thread, but I'm curious about the new Zero G tolerance/fit for the beast horseshoe.

And if the horseshoe will work with kingpins and/or Vipecs.

I seem to recall that it's a no go with kingpins, but I don't know why.

I personally have tested it with rad 1 and speed rad bindings and it works great. So I think the Vipec should be unaffected...

Also interested in STH1 and 2 and warden/guardian compatibility.

anyone confirm or deny? If it's copacetic, might be in for a binding overhaul.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Maybe this belongs in the Zero G thread, but I'm curious about the new Zero G tolerance/fit for the beast horseshoe.

And if the horseshoe will work with kingpins and/or Vipecs.

I seem to recall that it's a no go with kingpins, but I don't know why.

I personally have tested it with rad 1 and speed rad bindings and it works great. So I think the Vipec should be unaffected...

Also interested in STH1 and 2 and warden/guardian compatibility.

anyone confirm or deny? If it's copacetic, might be in for a binding overhaul.
    The Beast power insert works fine in the Kingpins providing the lateral 'bumps' are ground down. Removing the bumps effectively converts the power insert in to a Marker 'din extender' which they make themselves for short lugged boots for use in the Kingpin.

When used in an alpine heel all the power insert does is increase the sole length slightly so you'll need to reset the forward pressure etc. For tech bindings the heel/binding gap need re-adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I've been riding the zero G (guide pro) boot for the majority of last season with beasts, no issues to report.

With Beast bindings and horseshoes in hand (thanks Jon!), I installed the horseshoes this afternoon on my Lange Freetour XT 130s.

A few notes about the install:
    * at least on my Langes, the horseshoe doesn't "want" to sit flush with the boot during the installation process; I think the arms of the horseshoe are bent to a slightly tighter curve than the boot heel, which causes it to push backwards if not held in place
    * I reinstalled the screw from the stock Dynafit fitting to hold the horseshoes in place while marking and pre-drilling holes for the side screws (3/32", I think; 1/16" was too small for the screws to start easily, and 1/8" looked likely to be too big)
    * one of the sides of the first horseshoe I installed to creep up slightly, creating a difference of 1-2mm between the top of the heel lug and the top of the horseshoe
    * on the second boot, I made sure to relocate the horseshoe arm down and fully forward so that it remained flush with the heel lug all the way around, aside from the two protrusions on the side-mount screws
    * the side-mount screws and protrusions are far enough forward not to be in the way for any of the bindings I had on hand to test (Fischer/Tyrolia race bindings, old Salomon Drivers, and Salomon STH). The STH heel cup is actually a slightly tighter fit than the Driver, and I had to back off the forward pressure a little further to get what seemed to be a reasonable line up of heel vs. heelpiece (the visual line-up did match up with a properly adjusted forward pressure indication once the boot was in the binding)

I've got a line on a pair of Atomic GS skis with Atomic bindings, and I'm a bit nervous because I believe those also have a tighter heel cup than most, but based on the way the bindings I did check lined up, I don't expect the horseshoe would create any issue for skiing in an alpine binding. To what extent release/retention characteristics may vary, I'd dare not guess.

Horseshoe slightly askew:

The other side, looking correct:

Fischer binding:

Ancient Driver:

Last edited by anotherVTskibum; 11-05-2016 at 08:23 PM.

...and I remembered that I had a pair of Pivot 10s kicking around. These are a very, very tight fit, but it seems to work:

Notice that with the boot not perfectly aligned, the horseshoe screw looks like it will hit the Pivot arm.

With the boot in the binding, the fit appears to be quite snug in a spot it would not be with the normal DIN-shaped heel lug.

Dynafit Beast horseshoe and WTR boots

What about simply trimming down the horseshoe? (Not the height but the width/length) Make your own master insert per se. No more side screws and no interference with pivot arms.

Do the side screws really do anything? If they did, then "new" the master insert wouldn't work either. The master insert is thicker, allowing for that contact area with the heal piece, but that is all I see.

Think I might just try this out. Thoughts?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1478460535.688421.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  196.5 KB

Edit to add photo of beast compatible master insert
    Last edited by SkiersLeft; 11-06-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Didn't know about this new master insert.
    Will it be sold separately?

The master step heel insert is completely different. it is attached from inside the boots so not compatible.

Obviously it is screwed from the inside, and it's thicker throughout. I'm trimming my beast inserts. Enough horseshoe bullshit.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1484232793.433999.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  313.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1484232836.508972.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  302.8 KB

Works without problems in beasts, kingpin, p18. No prereleases with any of the above. Should have done this years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiersLeft View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1484232793.433999.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  313.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1484232836.508972.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  302.8 KB

Works without problems in beasts, kingpin, p18. No prereleases with any of the above. Should have done this years ago.
    Quick question, how did you cut the ends off the fitting ? Had a lot off trouble using my boots with some new Dynastar Piste Ski (for indoor training), had to remove the power insert in the end.

Many thanks

Dave

Hacksaw and a grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiersLeft View Post
    Hacksaw and a grinder.
    Thanks

Regards

Dave