Page 178 of 183 FirstFirst ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 4557
    I'd love to lighten my touring setup. Last year it was really bothering my hips and knees trying to pull each leg uphill in deep powder.

On another note, summer has been pretty nice

Maine three weeks ago -
    Milky Way Forest 3 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Boat and the Milky Way by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Vermont last week -

Also check out pages 2 and 3 of this years Vermont Life Fall issue.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I agree with robrox that something with trad camber underfoot and tip (and tail if you are inclined) rocker should work in most OOB conditions. Once you start earning your turns, I suspect you will find yourself seeking softer snow as the payoff is better for the uptrack. 105+ waist is my recommendation as a result. I'm a fan of Voile skis and generally make that known in any one of these 'what ski should I buy' threads.
    I've looked at voile, but they seem to have a lot of camber and very little rocker. But I've really only ever seen them online, not in person. Any thoughts on that? And what model to you ski?

Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    I've looked at voile, but they seem to have a lot of camber and very little rocker. But I've really only ever seen them online, not in person. Any thoughts on that? And what model to you ski?
    I've got 180cm Vectors and 181cm Charger BCs. I have skins cut for both.

FWIW I ride them both tele and use the Charger BCs exclusively for touring. The Vectors are for in-bounds pow days and side country. I really like both pairs but if I had to have one pair for touring, I'd drop the Vectors. In anything soft, the fishscales on the BCs disappear on the downhill and are great for tours around here with approaches or exits that are long and shallow. Having a 115mm platform, some trad camber and plenty of tip and tail rocker make the Chargers an awesome tool for the touring. Oh and they are light!

NEK is killing it with pictures again! Fabulous.

+1, Voile has more than a few models well suited to this application.

Whatever you do, demo-demo-demo!
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

These were my primary touring ski last year. They floated as well or better than my 108 underfoot Bacons (same approximate length with the bacons mounted much closer to center) with a good amount of rocker in the tip, some in the tail. If you want measurements of the tip rocker PM me and I'll measure when I get home tonight. They are a great weight, I skied them with dynafit radical 2s but I know a lot of people ski them tele. I decided that they are about as light as I'm willing to go on a touring ski. If using for 100% touring the fish scales are perfect. I used them frequently to skin for a lap before work when there was fresh snow but they kind of suck if you hit some corduroy on them so stick to ungroomed if you are using them at the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    These were my primary touring ski last year. They floated as well or better than my 108 underfoot Bacons (same approximate length with the bacons mounted much closer to center) with a good amount of rocker in the tip, some in the tail. If you want measurements of the tip rocker PM me and I'll measure when I get home tonight. They are a great weight, I skied them with dynafit radical 2s but I know a lot of people ski them tele. I decided that they are about as light as I'm willing to go on a touring ski. If using for 100% touring the fish scales are perfect. I used them frequently to skin for a lap before work when there was fresh snow but they kind of suck if you hit some corduroy on them so stick to ungroomed if you are using them at the resort.
    Great, quick, review. Thanks!

Just curious - what makes them suck on groomers? The fish scales?

FWIW I am planning on using these almost 100% touring. In fact, I'll probably have to thin out my in-bounds quiver once this new touring setup makes it into the toy room...

Yes, the fishscales suck on anything groomed. That includes Sno-mo tracks.

Yes, the fishscales suck on anything groomed. That includes Sno-mo tracks.
    Suck as in just slow? Or is carving performance affected too?

I hear they're also loud... deafening?

Suck as in just slow? Or is carving performance affected too?

I hear they're also loud... deafening?
    Slow and grippy depending on the condition. They are loud if you are able to go fast. Certainly not deafening in any case. Just not the right tool for the right job on anything groomed (unless you are climbing as they will climb a steeper groomed pitch).

Keep them on soft snow and all is well.

Slow and grippy depending on the condition. They are loud if you are able to go fast. Certainly not deafening in any case. Just not the right tool for the right job on anything groomed (unless you are climbing as they will climb a steeper groomed pitch).

Keep them on soft snow and all is well.
    Cool. Thanks all for the inputs, everybody. I've definitely added the Voile's to the shortlist.

Has there been any talk of Ullrfest yet? Need a date soon.

^^ A bit in the Magic thread, nothing concrete yet. Or mebbe I'm wrong and it's set.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

A beauty shot from 2850'. The wandering uptrack has a few scenic attractions. Back in 1930 folks were schussing this streambed:
    Name:  20170819_Up.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  265.8 KB

Low hanging branches seem to delight in dumping loads of snow right down the necks of folks on the uptrack.

EYT

Spent the weekend in the Portsmouth area. Hit Fort Rock with my wife on MTB. she is a beginner rider so we took it easy. We are spoiled by the KT's

Nice weather:
    Had a nice weekend along the NH coast:

Portsmouth Blue Hour:

Empty Shot Glass:

Portsmouth World War I Memorial Bridge:

Fort Rock:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fort Rock.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	211171

Kittery side:

And this would explain what I was seeing at Hampton Beach Saturday afternoon.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/new-...gain/593600139

Lots of ( . ) ( . ) 's. Some excellent ones too

Sorry no pics since my wife would have likely chucked my camera into the water if she caught me trying to sneek a photo.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Nice work NEK!

Nice NEK.

The new bridge in the first photo they didn't put any lighting in the budget and the crazy part was they didn't even put in conduit for the future. Of course, that may be because the old vert lift one got stuck in the 'up' position, which put the new one on the fast track.

The other one that is all lit up is brand new also. It's been traffic hell with these bridges down lately.

I would have recommended Stratham Hill for a beginner ride over fort rock, but I'm sure it was all good...I hope That place can be tough.

Had no idea it was free the nipple day. Last yr it was big news...oh the children! ...I guess nobody cared all too much this yr.

The AAC just bought the Rattlesnake Campground by Rumney. Pretty big news.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    The AAC just bought the Rattlesnake Campground by Rumney. Pretty big news.
    Nice.
    Journal and Accidents just arrived.
    Good times

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Nice.
    Journal and Accidents just arrived.
    Good times
    Oops, didn't renew my membership. Let us know if they mention any good firsts in the NE journal pages.

Pretty sure a first line was skied up off Knife's Edge, but that only makes it in the journal at the Rangers Cabin.

ml needs to join the CAC now.

Nah, I got a fédération québécoise la montagne et la escalade membership. Same thing, except they serve grape juice at events. À sainte !

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Oops, didn't renew my membership. Let us know if they mention any good firsts in the NE journal pages.
    Nothing recorded for NE in the Journal. NH provided several reports in Accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Nothing recorded for NE in the Journal. NH provided several reports in Accidents.
    same with eastern canada? weird. just looked up this one from last year, nice little story:

http://publications.americanalpinecl...-Dernier-Ronin