Page 177 of 183 FirstFirst ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 4557
    @ 2600', a lovely morning in the woods:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0717171057_Burst43.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	209563

Earned my lunchtime Bengali.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Ahhh N facing woods. Wood be great to get out for a tour with you this Winter Rob.

Likewise, I'm sure!

Summertime rambles are great cross training

Name:	IMG_2963.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	209642

yup, piece of woods I am working on at Black Mountain of Maine. Definitely does provide the workout.

Crowded out there this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170720_084524.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	876.3 KB 
ID:	209644  

East Coast Roll Call 10 [ten] SKI or SKI NOT, There Is No Try

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

Name:	IMG_2963.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	209642

yup, piece of woods I am working on at Black Mountain of Maine. Definitely does provide the workout.
    Most excellent. I convinced my wife to go for an excursion with me at a spot pretty close to our new apartment on Sunday. We headed out and some trails that aren't really trails and found some definite potential. It was my first time to the spot but I will definitely be returning, with the right attitude you could probably make it up to the ridge line.
    Edited to include pic:

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    Crowded out there this morning.
    That's a fine looking glassy loch you have over there. Very rare we get that on the big lake here but this weekend was an exception.

Name:	20170715_181428.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	932.1 KB 
ID:	209665

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post

Name:	20170715_181428.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	932.1 KB 
ID:	209665
    Nice! Let me know if you are ever down my way. We can yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    We can yacht.

Bump for mid-summer nights...

Church and Milky Way by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Tree at Night by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Milky Way in Kirby by Tim_NEK, on Flickr
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

^
    Nice! Thanks for your consistently outstanding views of our grand state.

Summer stoke!!!

Name:	IMG_20170801_131704678_HDR.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	210076Bringing the North South! Fort Myers Beach FL

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Regen zones on Stark Mountain, Cat Bowl and The Creamery. Three new, rather short, lines mid-mountain skiers right of the Double.

Name:	20170728_170135 (2).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	210367

Put up a separate thread, but thought I would post in here.

I have an open letter to the board of directors on a FB page as a way to pressure the board to re-consider not holding the a UTV race that will ruin the ski hill. Problem is the board does not meet until September so the pressure is going to need to be strong to push them into going against the mountain manager https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMOMbeavers/
    Please like it. Comment. Ask friends to like it.

Black Mountain is run as a 501(c)(3), non-profit, charitable and benevolent company. It belongs to the board of directors and to the skiing community

Yipes! Good luck to Black.

Lopper Hack:
    When your loppers get sqeaky and bind up, spray some Ben's 100% insect repellant into the pivots and slide(s). Get it in there and the lopping gets easy again, guaranteed.

East Coast alpine touring question:

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered a million times, but I think I'm coming at it from a somewhat different angle... bear with me. Question @ bottom.

I'm about to put together my first real & lightweight (i.e. not marker dukes on pow skis) AT setup. At this point, my philosophy is any ski 1) with a waist under 100mm, and/or 2) without some rocker, isn't worth skiing. My daily drivers are Blizzard Peacemakers (104mm, lots of rocker), and can ski anything from boilerplate to powder to bumps to corn etc. etc. from at worst proficiently to at best really really well. I ski hard, and I want a ski that can keep up.

Having said that, I wonder if my philosophy will change as I get more into touring. I can definitely envision a future where I become less focused on the traditional skiing/descents, and more focused on going on farther/higher/longer tours. So maybe I should consider skis that are a little scaled down from what I traditionally think of as my sweet spot.

Has anybody found their approach to skiing change in this manner as they got into touring? Not necessarily looking for ski suggestions here (though throw them in, if you have any), just some of your personal insight that might come with the experience that I don't yet have.

I ski a bit shorter AT ski because my legs are short and it is a lot easier doing kick turns.

I ski on one AT ski so a good all around ski and one I can feel comfortable standing on it on steep hard snow with out fear of folding is what I want. For me that rules out lots of rocker.

skinnier ski also means less skin weight and less skin drag so pluses there.

If it is a tour specific ski, then tech bindings really are the way to go. Means you need tech fitted boots too.

I would aim for the middle ground in terms of weight and performance. Get out there a bunch and then you will have a better sense of how you want to go find gear that suits your needs.
    Last edited by cat in january; 08-16-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I ski a bit shorter AT ski because my legs are short and it is a lot easier doing kick turns.

I ski on one AT ski so a good all around ski and one I can feel comfortable standing on it on steep hard snow with out fear of folding is what I want. For me that rules out lots of rocker.

skinnier ski also means less skin weight and less skin drag so pluses there.

If it is a tour specific ski, then tech bindings really are the way to go. Means you need tech fitted boots too.

I would aim for the middle ground in terms of weight and performance. Get out there a bunch and then you will have a better sense of how you want to go find get that suits your needs.
    I had a pair of dynafit manaslu's with some ft10's and while the setup was uber light on the way up, it sucked on the down on anything remotely hard packed. The ski would get deflected all over the place and didn't instill confidence. My advice is definitely tech bindings with a mid weight ski.

Folks generally go tourng for pow on a decent base, or at least for cornsnow.
    You planning to tour to hardpack/boilerplate/ice or confine yourself to an EYT ticket at the resorts?

Be sensible: Ignore boilerplate "prowess" for BC skis.

Nothing wrong with a 97mm waist for float so long as some early rise is in tip structure of the ski. If you have got used to early rise in the tail, better include that too. Weight is a variable condideration. If you are young and fit, weight ain't so bad...if you are looking to get serious about rando racing, weight is bad.

I also like the 100+ width underfoot, as my current quivver attests. Sadly the Convert is out of production or I would replace my battered pair. Fortunately the Pro-Riders are back so I can replace those...when the funds are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    My advice is definitely tech bindings with a mid weight ski.
    I definitely will go for tech bindings. What counts as mid weight? The 2 skis I'm really looking at right now are 1500-1700 gramsish. (Atomic backland 102 and k2 coomback 104). I could go skinnier though and save a couple hundred grams per ski.

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Folks generally go tourng for pow on a decent base, or at least for cornsnow.
    You planning to tour to hardpack/boilerplate/ice or confine yourself to an EYT ticket at the resorts?
    Looking for powder, corn, high peaks, and trees. Not racing. Just trying to get out into the mountains and ski some zones / see some sights that I can't get to from the lifts.

I agree with robrox that something with trad camber underfoot and tip (and tail if you are inclined) rocker should work in most OOB conditions. Once you start earning your turns, I suspect you will find yourself seeking softer snow as the payoff is better for the uptrack. 105+ waist is my recommendation as a result. I'm a fan of Voile skis and generally make that known in any one of these 'what ski should I buy' threads.