Page 6 of 183 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    now the first rescue of the season!
    I blame the internets, the russians, and ghina.

First snow, first tracks and now the first rescue of the season!
    A couple of former piney racers didn't make good choices...shocking!!!

First snow, first tracks and now the first rescue of the season!
    But they looked rad on Instagram
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Well, I have another name for my novel about the upper class twits destroying the world: Loudon Fruth

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    No working lights, but hopefully they were packing...
    or had iv's they could administer.

I hope they get hit with the full cost of the rescue. If it is a good winter you know we are going to see some more. Road seems awfully close, but it is winter up there and there are a 100 ways you can get in deep shit.

Jeez, tough crowd here, it's not like they called in an air rescue. I don't think there is much of a cost for a couple of conservation officers walking up to help them find their way out. Granted they made some dumb mistakes but I really don't think they should be run out of town on a rail for this. Charge for this and next time they won't call when they are initially lost and you will have a real rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Jeez, tough crowd here, it's not like they called in an air rescue. I don't think there is much of a cost for a couple of conservation officers walking up to help them find their way out. Granted they made some dumb mistakes but I really don't think they should be run out of town on a rail for this. Charge for this and next time they won't call when they are initially lost and you will have a real rescue.
    I don't know about this. Going into winter like conditions without one of the more essential of the 10 essentials is pretty foolish and reckless. I'd be okay if they forgot the sunscreen, but a non-working flashlight? It should live in you backpack 12 mos. a year! They should be called out for their stupidity.

They are lucky it only took 2 folks to evac them. Of course it's likely the local fire dept and/or ambulance company were called out as well.

edited - I agree that paying for rescue is not the answer as it is likely to create delay and escalate the matter.
    Last edited by Peruvian; 10-31-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Oh, I agree completely. The "MAKE THEM PAY" crowd is out of line. Everybody is out for vengeance these days, it's weird. But there has to be some middle ground for snarky comments on the internet, at a minimum.

There was a situation recently in an area closed to climbing where a guy scrambled up somehow a little drunk, got drunker, and realized there was no way to get down on the ground. He called the cops and it ended up being an intense rescue in a conservation region. Guys at the gym were totally "HE SHOULD PAY" but who grows up without ever making a mistake? To what end is it if he ended up a bag of crunched bones at the bottom of a cliff? Shit happens, I would way rather my tax money got used on an occasional rescue than a slightly less frequent body recovery.

To peruvians point, one guy left his, the other learned a lesson about changing the batteries more frequently. Should they be a little ashamed, sure. Are we obligated to shame them publicly and by name, I am not sure.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I posted it as first rescue, unfortunately won't be the last this year.
    Making them pay is not the answer. Hopefully someone reading of their rescue thinks "hey! a charged headlamp would be great to have, in case.".
    Benny did make a funneh and their names are on the report.

Inch-O-Snow last night and some gun testing going on right now bob.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Should they be charged? Probably not. Should they make a voluntary donation of any amount to the local SAR. Yes.

I posted it as first rescue, unfortunately won't be the last this year.
    Making them pay is not the answer. Hopefully someone reading of their rescue thinks "hey! a charged headlamp would be great to have, in case.".
    Reminds me of a quote from a BC safety video that popped up in my feed:
    "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement."

Luckily all they did was spend a cold night out... and it wasn't any worse.
    27° 18°

Vermont just can't stop being a scenic place to live
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tamaracked Cow2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	191440
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I stick by the make them pay. They made some poor choices (no headlamp, not respecting the hour the sun sets, and I would bet dollars to donuts no map and compass with knowledge to use or an in depth knowledge of the terrain) and bailed themselves out with their cell phone and folks came and got them. Seeing more and more poor choices being made. The cell phone is not a get out of jail free card. Just my 2 cents.

Other then Benny, you guys missed the most important point... they are from Greenwich, CT.

Make them promise to finance Saddleback, Magic, Burke and Jay Peak, then go in and rescue them. Totally dropped the ball on this one...

Doesn't Europe have a $50 "pay to play" rescue insurance card? Why can't we do something like this?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Doesn't Europe have a $50 "pay to play" rescue insurance card? Why can't we do something like this?
    http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=t...hike-safe-card

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Vermont just can't stop being a scenic place to live

Name:	Tamaracked Cow2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	191440
    Those larches seem like flaming beacons in a dusky evening, right in broad daylight.

Nice shooting
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Join one of the alpine clubs:

https://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/membership/ - trip insurance

https://americanalpineclub.org/join-now/ - Rescure insurance with avaiable upgrades
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Those larches seem like flaming beacons in a dusky evening, right in broad daylight.

Nice shooting
    Thanks. Of course this angle is interesting as well.

Name:	Confused Cows.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	191454
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

NSFW NEK!!! ha ha...

Awsome... thanks for posting.

$35 for the entire family is insanely cheap insurance. It would be great if it could be bundled into an AMC membership or something... as I obviously didn't know about it. I bet you could even set up an iPhone pay stations (or a sign for the website) at trailheads. Spread the cost out and make it a stronger network.

Opps.. just saw Robrox's post, too. You guys are way ahead of me, lol.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Thanks. Of course this angle is interesting as well.

Name:	Confused Cows.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	191454
    Can I get that framed please !?

Nice shooting
    Awesome shot...I guess the cow's paramour was hidden by the beautiful leaves. And yes, I can see that it's a different cow...

Join one of the alpine clubs:

https://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/membership/ - trip insurance

https://americanalpineclub.org/join-now/ - Rescue insurance with available upgrades
    I've never looked into the rescue-related benefits of the ACC (Canada).
    But the AAC (U.S.) benefit is NOT insurance: coverage under certain circumstances, yes, but have to call a number in Boston to initiate a rescue.
    Start with your PLB, Spot, inReach, etc. and you're out of luck (or least out of $).
    So more like an HMO (versus a PPO), with lots of out-of-network problems.

Edit:
    The main $ aspect to AAC (U.S.) is the rescue *benefit* I described above.
    But since that was instituted (replacing previous rescue insurance), an insurance policy was added, but it's only within the U.S. and only $5k.
    (By contrast, the foot-only rescue of the hiker on Franconia Ridge years ago was almost $10k, and the bill for the April 2009 hiker in the Presidentials with extensive helicopter searching maxed out the state $25k statutory max.)
    https://americanalpineclub.org/domestic

The best comprehensive rescue insurance for pretty much anything in the backcountry is AAC-UK:
    https://aacuk.org.uk/
    I know that seems to make no sense at all, i.e., joining the UK (Brexit or otherwise!) section of an Austrian club.
    But it's very inexpensive, and if you have any sort of rescue bill, just forward it to them and it gets paid.
    Plus they snail-mail you this slick color newsletter full of all the cool trips and courses they go on over in the Alps.
    (Apparently Brits get a lot of "holiday" time to compensate for living in drizzly flatlands.)
    Last edited by Jonathan S.; 11-01-2016 at 09:45 AM.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

NSFW NEK!!! ha ha...

The NEK. Where the sheep are scared and the cows are lesbian.

Can I get that framed please !?
    What size?

Newest edition of this thread is kicking ass! I'm still in bike mode but looking at this for the past week is starting to change that.

How is the Stowe/Pico coverage looking? Looks like a nice day for some corn tomorrow possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by clubhousebmx View Post
    Newest edition of this thread is kicking ass! I'm still in bike mode but looking at this for the past week is starting to change that.

How is the Stowe/Pico coverage looking? Looks like a nice day for some corn tomorrow possibly?
    Stowe coverage should be good to mid mountain on natural - most likely top-to-bottom on Ridgeview, Lord/North Slope. They ran guns for 2 full days - should stick around for most of the week.