Page 162 of 183 FirstFirst ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4557
    Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Not to mention easy access to the World's Fair, down Tunbridge.

Another note: Better spring for good Mud&Snow tires for direct access to MRV.
    Also of note is the local farming scene. Between Dog River, Callahan's, Kenyons, Rodger's and others we have local veggies, lamb, pork, beef, bacon, rabbit, chickens, raw milk, yogurt, stone ground wheat. The Dog River Valley is a great little secret. Not unique for Vt but several awards were given to local producers at the Tunbridge Fair this year. If you want to live locally, eat locally, spend your money locally we kind of have it all. Riding to Barre would be fun, but there is a small Mtn in the way....but there is single track.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 05-15-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Just from looking at houses online, Northfield has some beautiful homes and is an great spot to access biking, skiing, etc. DaveVT - thanks for the details - we're going to look at Northfield closer now.

Lots of great info from the collective - I appreciate it. The house buying process is daunting but we're starting to get a grasp on where we're going to settle down. Next I'll be extra douchey and ask about group rides in the area so I can figure out where to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    ....Next I'll be extra douchey and ask about group rides in the area so I can figure out where to ride.
    Look up Vermont Gran Fondo Cycle Event and the bucket-list sufferfest for solo riders and small groups, the Six-Gap-Ride.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

had a pretty good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Look up Vermont Gran Fondo Cycle Event and the bucket-list sufferfest for solo riders and small groups, the Six-Gap-Ride.
    No road riding for me, I'm just interested in singletrack. Pavement sufferfests are for some, just not me.

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    had a pretty good weekend
    Holy Caribou!!! "S" for Sweet Score!!!
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

^That is a sweet shot! That caribou thinks it's the best skier on the mountain.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

S

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Northfield is a nice town for sure. Amazing how it is changing. My parents live in Warren, and a colleague has a camp in Northfield. For years they were so different. Warren was cappucino, yoga and bagels. Northfield was Bud Light and snow machines and hunting. I can see how the Warren/Waitsfield influence is spilling over the Roxbury Gap and making established folks uneasy. I have to say, the paving of the upper part of the gap had something to do with it.

I have not spent much time in Barre, but I would live where I work.
    I'm originally from Barre and I have no desire to live there...

Montpellier is a great town and U-32 and MHS are 2 of the best schools in the state. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Words of wisdom/local knowledge right there.

Just to be clear, I was not shitting on Northfield, just mentioning that it's school system has had some serious issues in the past 25-30 years.

IMO, if you want to live in a town, Northfield probably wins when considering houseing costs and taxes. Montpelier is great but housing costs are through the roof. If you want space to roam, E. Montpelier and Berlin are likely the cheapest. Ultimately, with your moving timeframe it may make sense to rent in the area and give yourself time to find a house that fits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Ultimately, with your moving timeframe it may make sense to rent in the area and give yourself time to find a house that fits your needs.
    This. The market is very slow up here, coming from Metro Boston it was really disorienting to see so many desirable properties on the market for months even years. It's a combination of slow sales, a glut of second homes on the market and a surprising number of unmotivated sellers. I think it would benefit you to be up here for a time and get a sense of multiple towns and their respective markets over time. Again, coming from Boston and it's insane real estate market you are sort of in the catbird seat up here and if you can afford to take your time (again, rent for a bit and feel things out) you WILL find what you want, where you want and for a reasonable price.

One caveat- if you're judging RE values based on school system (a generally smart strategy if you're going for max value)- stick to towns with their own high school or study carefully the results of Act 46 votes (consolidation and redistricting legislation) in any single town, things are very much in flux right now.

Feel free to drop a line for more specifics. My wife and I did the same thing 3 years ago (Metro Boston-->VT, finally), I teach and we spent 1+ years scouting real estate. We're in the UV, so things are a bit different than what you'll find in central VT, but not that different. Good luck, life is good up here, you've made a wise choice .

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Just to be clear, I was not shitting on Northfield, just mentioning that it's school system has had some serious issues in the past 25-30 years.

IMO, if you want to live in a town, Northfield probably wins when considering houseing costs and taxes. Montpelier is great but housing costs are through the roof. If you want space to roam, E. Montpelier and Berlin are likely the cheapest. Ultimately, with your moving timeframe it may make sense to rent in the area and give yourself time to find a house that fits your needs.
    This is a smart call. Your daily experience in Vt can be very different. You can choose from Resort Town tourist trap land. Hyper-progressive neo-hippy/hipster-political activist Mont-peculiar. Or good old red neck, fishing, hunting, out-doorsy Vermont type towns. Or you can live out in East Granville where there is no town at all.

There's an old joke that goes....."Welcome to (insert resort town, or Montpelier). Vermont can be found 10 miles in any direction."
    It's true.

33" at the top of Mt. W.

Robrox - when was the last time the auto road wasn't open for Memorial Day??? (not saying they won't get it open this year, I'm just curious).

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    You're just jaded because Planet Rock closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    33" at the top of Mt. W.

Robrox - when was the last time the auto road wasn't open for Memorial Day??? (not saying they won't get it open this year, I'm just curious).
    Spring of 1997, when I was working as the huts caretaker for the Randolph Mountain Club, MWOBS got 96" of snow in the month of May. I was able to ski from treeline on Mtn Adams all the way to Mt Monroe and back without removing skis on Memorial Day. Ravines were PHAT.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    This. The market is very slow up here, coming from Metro Boston it was really disorienting to see so many desirable properties on the market for months even years. It's a combination of slow sales, a glut of second homes on the market and a surprising number of unmotivated sellers. I think it would benefit you to be up here for a time and get a sense of multiple towns and their respective markets over time. Again, coming from Boston and it's insane real estate market you are sort of in the catbird seat up here and if you can afford to take your time (again, rent for a bit and feel things out) you WILL find what you want, where you want and for a reasonable price.

One caveat- if you're judging RE values based on school system (a generally smart strategy if you're going for max value)- stick to towns with their own high school or study carefully the results of Act 46 votes (consolidation and redistricting legislation) in any single town, things are very much in flux right now.

Feel free to drop a line for more specifics. My wife and I did the same thing 3 years ago (Metro Boston-->VT, finally), I teach and we spent 1+ years scouting real estate. We're in the UV, so things are a bit different than what you'll find in central VT, but not that different. Good luck, life is good up here, you've made a wise choice .
    I'm also a teacher so that basically makes both our moves damn near identical. The insane housing market is the main reason we're ditching Boston. Buying a house in Boston means being house poor, living in a crammed suburb in small house with no yard. We're all set with that. You're 100% right about Vermont real estate - so many big, gorgeous properties that have been sitting on the market for weeks and months. It's very overwhelming.

We're fairly familiar with that area of VT just from skiing the Bush and Stowe but you learn a lot once you realize you'll be living there and won't be a tourist.

My wife and I have been talking about this move for years and its all falling into place fast. The last piece of the puzzle is a house.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    This is a smart call. Your daily experience in Vt can be very different. You can choose from Resort Town tourist trap land. Hyper-progressive neo-hippy/hipster-political activist Mont-peculiar. Or good old red neck, fishing, hunting, out-doorsy Vermont type towns. Or you can live out in East Granville where there is no town at all.

There's an old joke that goes....."Welcome to (insert resort town, or Montpelier). Vermont can be found 10 miles in any direction."
    It's true.
    It's so true, and there's no telling which degree of the varying scale of middle of nowhere/country/town/city life your individual situation will find most suitable once you're there. Some want convenience, some prefer seclusion- it's all there though, that's for sure. When I moved up last fall we signed a year lease to get settled, figure out exactly here we wanted to be in terms of proximity to work/resources and what we wanted out of the home itself. With real estate prices being so comparatively low coming from a rather affluent MA area, it was tempting to just jump on cool stuff or low numbers but I'm very happy we've waited until we were really ready and figured out the goldilocks zone of happiness to all relevant factors.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Or good old red neck, fishing, hunting, out-doorsy Vermont type towns.
    Also know as backward ass country fuck towns where you possibly don't want your kid hanging out with their kids. I.E. Damien trumptards

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    33" at the top of Mt. W.

I cannot recall it happening after 2007. It has been closed after its opening due to snow and ice.

1998 was delayed some. Sheftz will likely have the data.

My wife and I have been talking about this move for years and its all falling into place fast. The last piece of the puzzle is a house.
    Best of Luck!

We're fairly familiar with that area of VT just from skiing the Bush and Stowe but you learn a lot once you realize you'll be living there and won't be a tourist.
    Speaking from experience, you will be quickly disabused of many preconceived ideas about VT going from weekender to full timer. I had been coming up almost every weekend, all winter since childhood and living here (especially teaching here) has been VERY eye opening. VT is much like the west in that there are certainly large pockets of progressive liberalism that kind of define the state politically and socially, but outside of those islands things are much more reactionary and even fundamentalist than I ever would have imagined. Also- some (not all, ahem, Stowe) well-to-do-towns are decidedly conservative in their voting and policies in the name of shoring up taxes and keeping out the riff-raff (see Stowe HS perhaps becoming Stowe Academy in the face of Act 46).

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Speaking from experience, you will be quickly disabused of many preconceived ideas about VT going from weekender to full timer. I had been coming up almost every weekend, all winter since childhood and living here (especially teaching here) has been VERY eye opening. VT is much like the west in that there are certainly large pockets of progressive liberalism that kind of define the state politically and socially, but outside of those islands things are much more reactionary and even fundamentalist than I ever would have imagined. Also- some (not all, ahem, Stowe) well-to-do-towns are decidedly conservative in their voting and policies in the name of shoring up taxes and keeping out the riff-raff (see Stowe HS perhaps becoming Stowe Academy in the face of Act 46).
    I was having a similar conversation with a buddy of mine who spends his winters in Warren. There's the VT the weekenders see which looks like a liberal, yuppie outdoorsy person's wet dream then there's the other 80% of Vermont that is rural, conservative and low income that tourists don't see. It's a stark contrast for sure. I'll be teaching in Barre and, after driving around the town its very much the real Vermont. I'm personally okay with it. Boston is getting more pretentious by the day. I was biking in Hingham last week and I over heard in the parking lot 2 women arguing about if almond milk is better for foaming in their Starbucks lattes. That might have been the last straw hahaha

I was having a similar conversation with a buddy of mine who spends his winters in Warren. There's the VT the weekenders see which looks like a liberal, yuppie outdoorsy person's wet dream then there's the other 80% of Vermont that is rural, conservative and low income that tourists don't see. It's a stark contrast for sure. I'll be teaching in Barre and, after driving around the town its very much the real Vermont. I'm personally okay with it. Boston is getting more pretentious by the day. I was biking in Hingham last week and I over heard in the parking lot 2 women arguing about if almond milk is better for foaming in their Starbucks lattes. That might have been the last straw hahaha
    VT is still good people everywhere too (unless they're hooked on opiates, then they tend to be psychopathic petty thieves)- they may not like your politics or your Subaru, but they'll still tow you out of a ditch, loan you yard equipment and drink a beer with ya every time. You'll like the kids- you'll just find some sad, lonely poverty up here in contrast to the manic, crowded poverty of the cities.