Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America

My friends band tries to save face after major promo blunder
    https://pitchfork.com/news/the-domes...test-and-video

'A huge deal': The 121st Civil War, but only the first with minority head coaches at Oregon, Oregon State

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...art_river_home

comments are as to be expected

not if it's 98% white folks between eugene and corvallis. they're still trying to figure out what it all means

(but yeah, i agree )

sometimes it's just the toilet bowl. i'm heading for pdx at the same time the hordes descend on eugene to avoid traffic

Not only is Portland racist, its fast becoming the car theft capital of the US. Lock your Subaru's.

http://www.wweek.com/news/courts/201...-it-heres-how/

Name:  Capture.GIF
Views: 605
Size:  35.5 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Which is why they avoid Detroit and Chicago. Much colder than PDX.

/S
    Detroit is over 80% African American. Chicago is over 30%. Portland is under 10%
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

My old roommate is a racist, hangs with Neo nazi types. he moved to Portland. He's always trying to get me to sell him my AK47 and I tell him hell no every time. Those fucks will kill someone and my prints will be on it.

So is this still the thread dump for wyeaster on hating Portland?

It is?

Keep it up. It's not working. People continue to move here in droves.

Yeah, it's supposed to be about racism in Portland Spooky style. But anything negative about Portland can go here.

On a positive note, I'm trying to get the Buffalo Bills to relocate there so I won't have to watch them anymore. And a lot of the team is black so that should help the imbalance some--at least from September to just before the playoffs.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

home sweet home

Emboldened white nationalists? Look no further than this liberal Oregon college town

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...2box_targeted_

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/01/governor_appoints_first_africa.html#incart_target2 box_default_#incart_target2box_targeted_

Governor Kate Brown appointed Adrienne Nelson to the Oregon Supreme Court on Tuesday, marking the first time an African American has served on the high court in the state’s 158-year history.
    No African American judge has served on the state’s second highest court -- the Oregon Court of Appeals -- either.

Nelson, who is in her early 50s, has presided as a Multnomah County Circuit judge for nearly 12 years.
    At the time of her circuit appointment by then-governor Ted Kulongoski in 2006, she was the only African American judge in a state court system of about 200 judges. Today, there are five, three of whom were appointed by Brown last year.
    "In addition to her work in the courtroom, she has made extraordinary strides to make the trial bench more receptive to the needs and experiences of diverse and underserved communities in our state,” Brown said in a news release.
    “Judge Nelson is a widely respected civil rights champion, whose perspective on the bench moves us closer to our shared vision of justice for all.”
    Nelson fills a vacancy created by retired Justice Jack Landau. Her appointment starts immediately.
    "I'm very excited for the opportunity," Nelson told The Oregonian/OregonLive Tuesday.
    The news organization wrote about Nelson in 2007, the year after she became a circuit court judge. She said when she moved to Oregon in the 1990s, some people didn't expect an African American woman to be a lawyer, and she was mistaken for a paralegal, a social worker or the suspect's girlfriend. Read that story here.
    Nelson grew up on Arkansas. While in high school, her mother sued her school district for refusing to permit an African American student to be recognized as a valedictorian, according to the governor's office. Nelson's mother prevailed, and Nelson was named valedictorian, the governor's office said.
    Nelson attended the University of Arkansas and later the University of Texas law school. She worked as a public defender at Multnomah Defenders Inc. for three years starting in 1996. From 1999 to 2004, she worked at the Portland law firm of Bennett, Hartman, Morris and Kaplan.
    She was coordinator of Student Legal and Mediation Services from 2004 to 2006 at Portland State University before being appointed as a circuit court judge.
    She is a past recipient of the Multnomah Bar Association’s Award of Merit and the Oregon State Bar’s Diversity and Inclusion Award.

https://www.theroot.com/ore-man-who-...ock-1796882773

Name:  cry.png
Views: 442
Size:  448.2 KB

A Portland, Ore., man is giving me a particular type of joy after breaking down crying and expressing his heartfelt “regret” after being charged with a hate crime earlier this week for allegedly hurling slurs and intimidating a black Muslim couple.

I confess, my favorite type of bigot is the crying bigot.
    KGW reports that Frederick Nolan Sorrell, 49, was charged with second-degree intimidation after allegedly tormenting the Muslim couple on May 29.

Sorrell is accused of driving next to the couple for more than 20 blocks (seriously, that shit is frightening) and attempting to hit their vehicle several times while shouting, “Take off the fucking burka, this is America; go back to your fucking country,” and mimicking firing a handgun, according to the Oregon Committee of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
    Unsurprisingly, Sorrell, who made bail, pleaded not guilty in court Monday and quickly burst into delicious crocodile tears, claiming that he never meant any harm. He insisted that he was waving his hand and pointing his finger, not making a gun gesture.
    “I never tried to run into them. I was just going to work. I never tried to follow them. I never tried to make contact with them after the fact,” Sorrell said while ugly-crying.

He did, however, acknowledge that he yelled at the couple.
    “I guess my fear and paranoia, I just yelled out. I don’t go on social media looking to hate on people,” he said. “I guess my ignorance and my stupidity is why I opened my mouth, and I shouldn’t have, and I claim full responsibility.
    “I don’t know who you are. I’m sorry I blurted out what I blurted out, my paranoia my fear. I don’t hate you; I don’t know you,” Sorrell added. “I don’t wish death upon these people.”

Then he had the gall to invite the victims to sit with him so he could have an “open conversation.”
    “If the victims want to sit down and talk, I would love to sit down and have an open conversation with them and have an open mind and apologize,” he said. “I just don’t know them, and all I know is fear-based information.”
    I admit, it takes some balls to yell shit at people who are minding their own business, then invite them to have a conversation with you to help you debunk whatever apparent “fear-based information” you have received.

KGW didn’t say whether the couple would take Sorrell up on his invitation. The judge ordered him not to go on Facebook anymore, where he also accused of making several discriminatory comments. Sorrell is due back in court in August.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/...ent_apolo.html

One of Oregon's largest school districts issued an apology Monday after its deputy superintendent retweeted a claim that undocumented immigrants were "more dangerous than assault rifles."
    The message, shared by Beaverton deputy superintendent Steve Phillips, called for undocumented immigrants to be banned from the U.S.
    His boss, superintendent Dan Grotting, denounced the tweet in statement.
    "Our staff work hard every day to support our wonderfully diverse students and families, and we are committed to learning from our mistakes and continuing this work," Grotting said in the statement. It was issued in English and Spanish.
    Screenshots of Phillip's retweet have circulated in responses to the statement on the school district's Facebook page and resulted in calls to fire Phillips, one of Beaverton's two deputy superintendents.
    He has since deactivated his Twitter account and has apparently issued no public statements on the matter.
    Phillips' tweets came to light last week after he shared a March 25 post by Mary Ann Mendoza, the mother of an Arizona police sergeant who was killed in a 2014 head-on crash with an intoxicated wrong-way driver. The wrong-way driver was an undocumented Latino man, who also died in the crash. After her son's death, Mendoza helped start a group called Advocates for Victims of Illegal Alien Crime.

Her tweet shared by Phillips claimed 12 Americans were killed every day by undocumented immigrants. According to PolitiFact, there isn't enough data to accurately track how many people have been killed by undocumented immigrants or the nationality of the victims.
    The Beaverton School District is the third largest in the state with nearly 40,000 students. One quarter of the students who attend Beaverton schools this year identify as Hispanic or Latino, according to the district. Slightly less than half, 48 percent, identify as white.
    District spokeswoman Maureen Wheeler said she knows of no plans of Phillips to offer any apology about what she described as a "teachable moment." She said he discussed the retweet with people who have called and emailed him.
    "He realizes his mistake," Wheeler said. "We are working with him, but it is a personnel issue, so we're not going to publicly discuss it at this point."
    District officials learned of the retweet Wednesday or Thursday. They then met with Phillips and verified that he "wasn't hacked," Wheeler said. She said district officials believe he retweeted Mendoza's post sometime during spring break.
    '''

comments are awesome

to be fair, portland is the whitest city

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    to be fair, portland is the whitest city
    Are we just going to pretend Boise doesn't exist?

those are towns

portland is a big town

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ommentary.html

Offensive Rosa Parks cartoon removed from school curriculum (Commentary)

Until this month, students taking Forest Grove High School's online U.S. history course started the lesson on the civil rights movement with a cartoon about Rosa Parks.
    Parks is shown with two time-traveling teenagers, a black girl and a white boy. The girl introduces Parks as one of her heroes and Parks says, "Why am I one of your heroes? I haven't done anything, dear."
    The girl asks the boy for a "little help" and he holds out a chair for Parks.
    "You're offering your seat to me?" Parks asks.
    "Well, yeah, you're a lady," he says. "Guys are supposed to be polite."
    "That gives me an idea!" Parks says.
    We can only assume it's an idea to fight for gender-based social customs, based on this non-history lesson.
    That cartoon was copyrighted 2009. The fact that it took nine years for anyone to question it is a sign of bigger problems in the ways we teach civil rights history.
    "There are so many things wrong with that cartoon, it's really hard to know where to begin," said Maureen Costello, director of Teaching Tolerance, a program of the civil rights nonprofit, the Southern Poverty Law Center. "What this does is reduce it, at best, to something that occurred to her just out of nowhere, and it happened to be introduced by some hapless teenage white dude. It basically takes everything away from the agency of Rosa Parks. It reduces this incredibly serious moment to a joke."
    Forest Grove senior Amy Renzema said she was "flabbergasted" when she came across the cartoon in her history course last month.
    "This was just so bad that I couldn't not say anything," she said. "It demeans everything (Parks) stood for."
    Renzema emailed her assistant principal. He passed her complaint to OdysseyWare, the company that supplies Forest Grove, and many other school districts, with online curriculum.
    A spokesperson for Glynlyon, OdysseyWare's parent company, did not answer questions about how the cartoon was approved or the number of schools that use OdysseyWare programs. A 2016 company press release said it has customers in thousands of school districts.
    In a statement, Glynlyon CEO Matthew Given commended Renzema for speaking up and said the cartoon was removed after her complaint.
    "Though this particular piece of content was created many years ago, it was never historically accurate," the statement read. "We apologize for the misrepresentation and any harm it may have caused."
    What the cartoon – and the rest of the lesson – fails to mention is that Parks was well aware of her rights when she was arrested for refusing to leave her seat for a white passenger on a Montgomery, Alabama, bus in 1955. She had attended the Highlander Folk School in Tennessee, which trained activists in the civil rights movement. She was an active member and secretary for the local chapter of the NAACP.
    She wasn't old and tired. She was 42 and ready to fight.
    "The historical memory of Mrs. Parks is often misconstrued," said Felicia Bell, director of the Rosa Parks Museum in Montgomery, Alabama. "It's what people are comfortable with remembering, probably."
    Part of the museum's mission is to develop lesson plans around the civil rights movement and to tell the story of Parks' lifetime of activism. Eleven years before being arrested on a bus, she investigated the case of Recy Taylor, a black woman raped by six white men. Parks was an advocate for reproductive rights and later served on the board of Planned Parenthood.
    "I think people want to keep her on the bus, if you will, and not think of Mrs. Parks as a woman who was active all her life in causes for social justice and equality," Bell said.
    Costello has a theory about that.
    She suspects schools simplify the stories of the civil rights movement "because you don't want to give young people the tools to lead social movements," she said. "You don't want to tell them what really takes place in activism. In a sense, I think, the power structure wants to tell a story that makes it seem like white people recognized a change was needed and made the change fairly easily."
    The Odysseyware lesson tries to wrap things up as if race relations in America have been solved.
    "Despite the setbacks, the civil rights movement had achieved a great deal," the lesson reads. "Segregation was outlawed, and blacks were given equal voting rights. America was finally on a path to end all forms of racial discrimination."
    This narrative makes it easier to teach what happened in the 1950s and 1960s without addressing what's happening now with movements like Black Lives Matter.
    Renzema, too, sees this pattern. She wrote an article about Black History Month for the school newspaper, but it wasn't published. Her student editor said Renzema focused too much on today's problems, writing, "The idea was to celebrate the strides that have been made."
    "It's much more comfortable to talk about this triumphant story," Costello said, "because then you don't have to actually acknowledge the fact that the kids sitting in front of you are still dealing with racial injustice."
    But schools are where we teach young people how to be citizens. If we don't trust them with serious discussions about the ugly parts of America's past, we aren't equipping them to face the problems of America's present.

Oregon Bakery Fires Employees For Denying Black Woman Service After Closing

PORTLAND, Ore. — Two employees of a bakery in Portland, Oregon were fired earlier this month for denying a black woman service because the business had closed.

"Back To Eden Bakery" released several public apologies and statements following the incident, before letting the employees go. In one Facebook post, the bakery's co-owner wrote, "We are doing business in a gentrified neighborhood in a racist city within a racist state of a racist country.”
    In one statement, "Back To Eden Bakery" says that according to its own surveillance video, a black woman named "Lillian", who is well known in the area as a "professional equity activist", entered at 9:06 p.m., after the bakery's closing time. Employees had also turned off the "Open" sign, but several customers (all white) who had already ordered were still inside. Two other white women who went to the bakery two minutes before "Lillian", and were also informed that the business was closed for the night.

The bakery says "Lillian" left the store briefly and began recording video.
    The bakery's statement says that even though it does not consider the employees to be racist and that they were following the business's protocol of closing at 9 p.m., they were fired because "sometimes impact outweighs intent." The bakery also says in the statement that the way the employees went about denying the woman service, "lacked sensitivity and understanding of the racial implications at work."
    In the statement "Back To Eden" says the employees were fired because the woman and the "clamoring public" demanded they be fired.
    In one statement, the bakery admitted that the employees did not necessarily do anything wrong, "this is more about how a black woman was made to feel" at the business.
    That statements have since been deleted.

The bakery has also volunteered to participate in Portland's second "Reparations Happy Hour", a black-only event in which whites donate money, and the hosting business hands out $10 bills to all "black, brown, and minority ethnicities" who walk into the business.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1001341049963364352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=ht tp%3A%2F%2Fabcstlouis.com%2Fnews%2Fnation-world%2Foregon-bakery-fires-employees-for-denying-black-woman-service-after-closing

oh the outrage!

Sent from my SM-J727V using TGR Forums mobile app

i saw the headline with food truck and automatically thought i bet it's oregon.

it's oregon.

this dude's business is done if he's lucky.

https://www.theroot.com/food-truck-w...-tr-1826632841

the dregs of humanity through the spook filter...

that's why I come to a ski bulletin board. does it make you feel better about yourself?

With the far Reich taking over the word patriot, the word almost disgusts me now.
    And are they really praying, like baby jesus did?