Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America

Shit White People say to Black&Brown Folks in PDX

http://browninpdx.tumblr.com

Heh. I remember telling friends after I moved to PDX back in 1998 that this was the whitest place I had ever lived. I stayed in far NW PDX for the first few years (near Beaverton) and recall seeing car/trucks there with Confederate Union Jack stickers or even the flag mounted in the pickup bed. I thought "What a weird fucking place".

Going to work- after taking the MAX into downtown, I'd transfer onto a bus (the 8) which would head on up to OHSU. I usually ended up on a particular bus (Idunno, the 6:45 or something) in which a group of black folks took up the back of the bus. I was always able to find seating next to them on those benches over the rear wheel wells oriented parallel to the bus. they were always having lively, fun conversations. One morning they were discussing some sort of grievance (they all worked at the VA) and discussing what would happen if they stopped showing. A day or two later went by, and I never saw them again. Seemed like a mass resignation occurred.

Another time, there was some conference of hispanic scientists (or clinicians) that was going to be held in PDX. OHSU wanted to display posters at the conference showing it as a diverse, multicultural workplace, and needed pictures to that effect. The photographer was having a difficult time finding evidence of this diverse workplace and ended up taking pictures of me (I am rather swarthy), my friend Caurnel (probably the only black scientist in all PDX then), these two Argentinian gals (one a grad student and the other a post doc, and both named Veronica) and this Jewish professor who was also kinda swarthy and with his long hair kinda looked like Carlos Santana. That was about all the diversity they they could muster up for the event. The picture of me got around, too. It was featured on the OHSU home page for a couple of years.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Brothers don't like cold.

Which is why they avoid Detroit and Chicago. Much colder than PDX.

/S

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Brothers don't like cold.

Is this Portland ME or OR?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

My wife and I always laugh at the self proclaimed diversity of PDX. When we sold her house in SE it was fascinating to see how everyone was just a slightly different flavor of urban hipster. Don't get me wrong we love the place, it's just hilariously white.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Which is why they avoid Detroit and Chicago. Much colder than PDX.

/S
    Denver and Salt Lake? Those Northern Industrial towns were necessity.

Portland's not even close to being the whitest city in the northwest, let alone America. PDX black population is 6.3% compared to Spokane at 2.1%. PDX is 72% white only compared to Spokane at 88%. Pikers, I tell ya...

Boise is even whiter than Spokane so, there's that...

Hell, we even have to have a white woman pretend to be black in order to head the NAACP office here.

we got a few confederate flags running around up here and its not even America, last season I would drive a truck full of american BC skiers past a house with the flag on it coming out of the BC and they said "does he know what that flag really means ? "

I don't think they do cuz there is the young guy in town with a confederate flag tattoo who has obviously seen too many Dukes of Hazard episodes, so he thinks the confederate flag is a symbol that he is a hard living redneck that does what he wants SO somebody told him that it means you hate black people to which he replied well thats not what I mean
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    Shit White People say to Black&Brown Folks in PDX

http://browninpdx.tumblr.com
    Some racist stuff in there but also a fair amount of "huh, how is that racist" stuff too:

I am at Fred Meyer and get in line lady said nothing to people a head of me, but 2 other people in line had same items and more but they are white. It’s my turn to check out, my items as follows Milk, butter, cilantro, tortillas, roma tomatoes. Lady asks what are you going to make with the roma tomatoes (in my mind I wanna say none of your business) but before I can reply she says they make great sauce….. I just respond with thanks for your suggestion.
    Some people are so keen to see affront that they'll see it no matter what - white person "ignores" you = racist, white person says something to you = racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I am at Fred Meyer and get in line lady said nothing to people a head of me, but 2 other people in line had same items and more but they are white. It’s my turn to check out, my items as follows Milk, butter, cilantro, tortillas, roma tomatoes. Lady asks what are you going to make with the roma tomatoes (in my mind I wanna say none of your business) but before I can reply she says they make great sauce….. I just respond with thanks for your suggestion.
    Well if that is racist them I guess I'm guilty because I'm always picking the brains of people in line if I see them buying a fruit or veggie that is interesting which in my town generally means it's not something the average white American eats (our stores stock a lot of fresh items from south of the border).

For instance I'm fascinated by those big cactus leaves and have often wanted to try them. I was behind a woman one day who was buying a number of them so I asked her how she prepares them and what they are like. She seemed happy to discuss it with me but then I guess, if you go by the above, I'm a blind racist and couldn't see I was being offensive.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

i'm sure one can go through and find things that are difficult to be understood as racist and since these are just people posting everybody has there thing so who knows. but there are plenty that are overtly racist and as a white native oregonian living in pdx, i see blatantly racist things every day that the white person had zero clue about (discounting the ones who know it and mean it) and if you said something they would react with shock and outrage that anybody would consider them remotely racist. it's a little odd to point out the thing that doesn't seem racist out of the many shitty things. it is probably also easily understandable that if you deal with racism directed at you every day incidentally or intentionally or institutionally that it would be hard not see everything through that lens, right or wrong. i also think the person running the blog has had to have a heavy editing hand because people are regularly trying to undermine the intent. if self-proclaimed weird, progressive pdx is only 8% black, how would anybody expect the 80% white to respond.

Spook World.

Pretty sure that aggregiously affronted Fred Meyers customer is like a lot of other people in and out of PDX - identity politics: every thing has racial pretext and everything is a personal affront.

Lighten up Francis.

Now send this dumpster to polyass c.o.d.
    I still call it The Jake.

i would expect nothing else here, but again, you're focusing on the one that "fits" your narrative, despite this country's, this state's and this city's well-known history.

it's funny that race-oriented discussions are regularly regarded as a polyass only topic in a place that is almost exclusively white male.

Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

i would expect nothing else here
    You live in a dystopian fantasy world. Don't expect others to play along just because you think it's so.

i would expect nothing else here, but again, you're focusing on the one that "fits" your narrative, despite this country's, this state's and this city's well-known history.

it's funny that race-oriented discussions are regularly regarded as a polyass only topic in a place that is almost exclusively white male.
    What do you do to help promote equality other than blather away in internet cursive?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    You live in a dystopian fantasy world. Don't expect others to play along just because you think it's so.
    you could not be further from the truth. i don't expect anybody to play along because i've been here long enough to know better. you and many others rountinely discount the opinions of others when they don't fit in your elitist, barely masked racist world. it doesn't mean you have any credibility or that anybody listens for anything but entertainment.

but then lots of poc when they are routinely discriminated against and imprisoned at astronomical rates compared to their population -- nothing dystopian about unjust imprisonment -- are told they are posers and posturing and lighten up francis in between jokes about black people not liking the cold. what about swimming, 4matic? do black people like swimming?

i'm sure the atlantic just wrote it for page hits. atlantic articles about long known histories of racism should definitely be limited to polyass.

Your spook is showing.

Bigots are everywhere. I was surprised at the amount of racism in Santa Cruz, and in particular, in the surrounding mountain towns. Lots of skin head bikers living in the San Lorenzo Valley.

i came here from nyc
    pdx is definitely not diverse

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Your spook is showing.
    no, my human is showing. i'm just not in a very diverse crowd at the moment.