Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    ^^^that story reeks of juvenile judgement but not necessarily racism. It said airport which led me to think they made a sign for a friend whom they were picking up. Context is everything and severely lacking from that story.

Sorry but just because some dumb young white HS student used the word nigger on a sign doesn't in any way justify a walkout unless you can tell me the sign was being used to actually put down or belittle a fellow black student.
    Obviously, white kids using racial slurs as "jokes" among themselves isn't as bad as directing them at members of the race the slur insults. It still is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. The racism of the slur is what makes the joke "funny".

The picture is getting national attention, it's not surprising members of the community want to do something to say they do not approve of the attitudes and behavior of these kids.

unless you can tell me the sign was being used to actually put down or belittle a fellow black student.
    If er is on the end I can see why it's being contested. When is it ever not subjugation, implied as a joke or sincerely? That's the whole point of using the term; rehashing an old mentality. Not worth harming the kids, but a detention/talking too is fair.

doughboyshredder Guest
    ^^^that story reeks of juvenile judgement but not necessarily racism. It said airport which led me to think they made a sign for a friend whom they were picking up. Context is everything and severely lacking from that story.

Sorry but just because some dumb young white HS student used the word nigger on a sign doesn't in any way justify a walkout unless you can tell me the sign was being used to actually put down or belittle a fellow black student.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Obviously, white kids using racial slurs as "jokes" among themselves isn't as bad as directing them at members of the race the slur insults. It still is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. The racism of the slur is what makes the joke "funny".

The picture is getting national attention, it's not surprising members of the community want to do something to say they do not approve of the attitudes and behavior of these kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    If er is on the end I can see why it's being contested. When is it ever not subjugation, implied as a joke or sincerely? That's the whole point of using the term; rehashing an old mentality. Not worth harming the kids, but a detention/talking too is fair.
    Your responses are all very sad. Whitesplain it all away.

Every time something like this happens it belittles all poc.

But, *obviously* white kids joking about racism is okay, as long as they keep it to themselves.

Seatown, you have no right to repeat that word. It isnt necessary and doing so makes you look like an ass.

Bromontana, I know your heart is in the right place, but do you seriously think a "talking to" will change anything?

why yes. Saying something is unacceptable and should not be tolerated is certainly "whitesplaining" it away. Why certainly. uh huh. sure.

doughboyshredder Guest
    why yes. Saying something is unacceptable and should not be tolerated is certainly "whitesplaining" it away. Why certainly. uh huh. sure.
    The built in excuse is the whitesplaining. Should have just left that part out.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    What is with the Mansplaining to Mtngirl something that she obviously gets? You think that because she makes a comment that you need to condescendingly explain to her that whatever she says is invalid? Invalid why? she's a woman (ie "cunt")? or that she's "white" or what?

Here's the problem, none of the posters you quoted were "whitesplaining"(stupid made up word) anything, they're having a conversation you dolt. Not one of them said it was "okay". If you had your way no one would be able to talk about any of this unless they were a "poc" or had attained enlightenment by marrying a "poc". Telling people what they can and can't say and telling them "you're not allowed" makes you just as bad as the people you rail against.

What excuse? Do you know how to read?

The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America

Speaking of Portland being so white, I'm in Portland today. Does anybody know a good bike shop that I should go to to get some Stan's sealant and some other stuff?

Obviously I've looked online and there's dozens of bike shops, and of course what could be more white than riding a bike in Portland?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It's hard to comprehend what you read when you're blinded by righteous indignation.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Obviously, white kids using racial slurs as "jokes" among themselves isn't as bad as directing them at members of the race the slur insults.
    Giving them an out.

I would be shocked if they didn't excuse their behavior saying what you said above, practically verbatim.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Speaking of Portland being so white, I'm in Portland today. Does anybody know a good bike shop that I should go to to get some Stan's sealant and some other stuff?

Obviously I've looked online and there's dozens of bike shops, and of course what could be more white than riding a bike in Portland?
    Fat Tire Farm on NW Thurman

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Portland Bicycle Studio. The owner, Molly Cameron, is my buddy from many years ago. "She's" also transgendered, if you're into that. Haven't visited (this is a new business), but the shop's on NW Quigly, I think.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Every time something like this happens it belittles all poc.
    making a huuuuuge leap here claiming to know and speak for the entirety of the non-white community.
    But, *obviously* white kids joking about racism is okay, as long as they keep it to themselves.
    Where exactly has anyone who replied actually condoned what they did? apologies if my point was not articulated as clearly as i hoped but my simple point was thus: Action -> Reaction here are completely disproportionate.

Staging a school wide walkout to stand up to fight the horror and oppression of a single ill conceived tweet/picture is quintessential making a mountain out of a molehill.

Kids deserved to be chastised by their peers and maybe slapped on the back of the head by a school administrator or two but a fucking walk out???

Seatown, you have no right to repeat that word. It isnt necessary and doing so makes you look like an ass.
    Actually i do, and its one of the most fundamental and important rights of this great nation. sorry i didn't give you a trigger warning in advance. Hope you made it to your safe space posthaste.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    If you had your way no one would be able to talk about any of this unless they were a "poc" or had attained enlightenment by marrying a "poc". Telling people what they can and can't say and telling them "you're not allowed" makes you just as bad as the people you rail against.
    You don't know where I been!

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    You don't know where I been!
    Sure we do- it's all over Youtube.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Giving them an out.

I would be shocked if they didn't excuse their behavior saying what you said above, practically verbatim.
    I gave no one an out. I responded to seatownslackeys comment that people were possibly overreacting and these kids were just being dumb kids...

I said their behavior was unacceptable and should not be tolerated.

DBS would prefer that the violators be lynched publicly: that will send the right message. Oh, wait.

Updated: 2:53 p.m.

Students staged a walkout at Oregon City High School on Thursday to protest at least three racist social media posts and what some students and parents say is a lackluster response from the school administration.

On Monday, a former student of the high school posted a picture of a group of friends -- that reportedly included current students -- holding a sign that said "Welcome back to the farm" and then added the N-word and a drawing of a Ku Klux Klan member.

On Tuesday, a member of the Oregon City High School girls basketball team tweeted a picture of a note left on her doorstep that included the N-word.

On Wednesday, a picture of students holding a #BlackLivesMatter sign was photoshopped to show the sign with derogatory slogans.

And on Wednesday, students began planning a walkout for Thursday morning.

Madilyn Gilliam, 19 and a student at Portland State University who graduated from OCHS in 2016, thinks racism is an ongoing problem at the high school.

"I have gay parents and I have a dad who is black," she said. She said that within the first week she attended OCHS, "someone called my dad the N-word."

Updated: 2:53 p.m. Students staged a walkout at Oregon City High School on Thursday to protest at least three racist social media posts and what some students and parents say is a lackluster response from the school administration. On Monday, a fo...
    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no..._studen_1.html

doughboyshredder Guest
    All they need is a talking to.

That will make everything better.

doughboyshredder Guest
    And those are all individual cases of racism and should be looked at individually. There is nothing systemic about it

And those are all individual cases of racism and should be looked at individually. There is nothing systemic about it
    Using a racial slur is an individual case of racism. Feeling that it's ok to do it is an indication of systemic racism.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Using a racial slur is an individual case of racism. Feeling that it's ok to do it is an indication of systemic racism.
    Semantics.

Looking at a grain of sand as if it's unique while walking through a dune.

Semantics.

Looking at a grain of sand as if it's unique while walking through a dune.
    Whoa.

Deep

Semantics.
    I didn't think I needed to give a long winded explanation but clearly I do. When someone feels that they can use a racist slur it means they feel there is enough tolerance in society or in their corner of society that they can do it. They hear others using the same word without social disapproval. Given that most people crave social approval (I realize that may not apply to most people in the padded room), feeling that it is ok to use the slur means that the society is perceived as being tolerant of racism, and is therefore racist. Now do you get it? For example--in this forum, most racist comments are shouted down, so while there are plenty of racists hear, the forum as a whole doesn't seem to be racist. OTOH, most sexist ("Post naked pics of your sister") and homophobic comments generate no disapproval.