Light Rust on Ski Edges

I am guilty of not taking care of my skis in the off season as in no storage wax. So then i have to deal with cleaning them up come fall. Its never much and a gummi does a great job but looking for a shortcut. Looking for something that could be put into a drill to buff edges clean without screwing the edges up. Tognar have anything?

You could try something like this
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Met...BK71/205642376
    or just sharpen the side edges and ski the rust off.

Edit--on second thought--getting buffing compound on your bases is a really bad idea. Forget I said it. Ski them.
    Last edited by old goat; 10-23-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Ski them.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Assuming that you don't have major base work (requiring grinding/re-setting the bevel), and since you didn't do anything since the last day skiing, they must need (at a minimum) a light stone/touch-up on the side edges. Then clean the bases, wax 'em & ski 'em as stuckathuntermtn said.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

You think using a gummi stone is too time consuming and you're posting on TGR as if you care about your skis?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You think using a gummi stone is too time consuming and you're posting on TGR as if you care about your skis?
    Good point.
    No longer stuck.

Ski them.
    Good point.

Scotchbrite 3M pads are perfect for removing surface rust off of ski edges. They work like magic.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    Scotchbrite 3M pads are perfect for removing surface rust off of ski edges. They work like magic.
    This.

Or, since the OP wanted something that could be chucked into a drill, use a wire wheel. Shouldn't affect the edge tune much... might not be so great for the bases however.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

IME if I separate my skis to let them dry indoors without edges touching they won't rust. If I did let them rust to the point that area is pitted they will have a tendency to rust in those pitted spots until they get ground, in any case letting them rust indicates a low level of care so just ski the rust off or get them ground
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lick the rust off kook

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IME if I separate my skis to let them dry indoors without edges touching they won't rust. If I did let them rust to the point that area is pitted they will have a tendency to rust in those pitted spots until they get ground, in any case letting them rust indicates a low level of care so just ski the rust off or get them ground
    Yup. Wiped dry than air dry, not sandwiched together. Pretty minor actually. It just happens when skis are kept in the basement of my house. Scotch 3m pads sound good. Will give that a try. Of course just ski 'em clean.

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    Lick the rust off kook
    That could end very painfully. What a mess. Yeesh.
    No longer stuck.

Next year when you store them you should cathodically protect them.

Solder a small wire to the tip and another wire to the tail. Connect the loose ends of each wire to a zinc bar (the sacrificial anode). The zinc will corrode before the steel edge. Remember to desolder and remove the wires before skiing.

If your skis are really long, sometimes the wire's resistance can't be overcome with passive cathodic protection as above. You'll need an impressed DC current source. I will detail this procedure in another post.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

Solder a small wire to the tip and another wire to the tail. Connect the loose ends of each wire to a zinc bar (the sacrificial anode). The zinc will corrode before the steel edge. Remember to desolder and remove the wires before skiing.

If your skis are really long, sometimes the wire's resistance can't be overcome with passive cathodic protection as above. You'll need an impressed DC current source. I will detail this procedure in another post.
    Deserves it's own thread and a sticky. Please post pics. How do you recommend measuring corrosion? I'd like to know the mils penetration per year of my 7XKs. I anxiously await your reply.

Timberridge has been killing it lately.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Timberridge has been killing it lately.
    did you not expect this with Obama leaving office? sprint to the finish

Next year when you store them you should cathodically protect them ...
    Where's that ROFLMAO emoji when you need it?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Deserves it's own thread and a sticky. Please post pics. How do you recommend measuring corrosion? I'd like to know the mils penetration per year of my 7XKs. I anxiously await your reply.
    Unfortunately I don't have pics of the setup right now. I removed the wires in preparation for the upcoming ski season. But I'm going on 3 years now and my edges are as rust free as the day they left the factory.

As far as measuring corrosion, the best tool I have used is the scanning electron microscope, or SEM. You can take a baseline image of edge prior to storage, then after storage, and compare the two images for oxide penetration.

You can usually find a good deal on used SEM's by calling around to universities in your area and asking if they have any SEM's for sale. Let them know its for non-commercial home use and you will often get a better deal. I was able to obtain an older 25nm unit from a university for not much more than the price of a well-used 2010 Subaru Forester. Some of the older units can be a bit bulky so make sure to ask the Mrs. if she's ok with it first!
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    Seconded. This is my go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
    Seconded. This is my go-to.
    I'll third. Those scotchbrite pads are pretty quick and they do the job.

make sure to ask the Mrs. if she's ok with it first!
    And you call your self a scientist.

wow this is great ! I'm gona hook it all up to the battery in my Arcteryx Voltair airbag back pack so I will be protected all the time!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know