Texan Mogul (of Purg/Snowbowl) buys San Juan Untracked (Cat Ski)

Durango investor James Coleman is continuing his southwest spending spree.

The Texas-bred businessman who last year acquired Purgatory ski area this week bought Colorado’s largest snowcat skiing operation.

San Juan Untracked — formerly the San Juan Ski Co. — has a permit to access almost 36,000 acres of backcountry ski terrain just beyond the boundary of the Purgatory ski area, about 35 miles north of Durango.

Last month Coleman closed on the 160-acre Hesperus ski area, a family-owned locals favorite a few miles outside Durango. Taking a page from the Vail Resorts’ Epic Pass playbook, Coleman’s $799 Power Pass offers unlimited skiing at Purgatory, Hesperus, New Mexico’s Sipapu and Pajarito
    http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/19...ski-operation/
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

It has been a while since I've been there and I have no idea what there recent operations have been but that place has a lot of potential. Huge permit area with very diverse terrain options. Probably pretty isolated from user conflict (snowmobiles, ski tourers) as it is accessed through Purg. Fairly dependable snow fall.

Anybody know the history? I remember is being owned and operated by a former 49ers football player? Can't remember his name. Maybe something about him being involved in a bad bicycle accident?

Here's a link to an article from the Durango Herald...

http://www.durangoherald.com/article...S01/161019547/

I haven't been down here very long but everybody, including the old-timers seem to like this guy. I guess time will tell.
    The Sheriff is near!

Been a whole bunch of years since I skied Sipapu or Pajarito. Anybody been down there since Coleman bought them? He make any cool infrastructure improvements?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'm super stoked on the new guy.

Snowbowl saw 30 years where the biggest improvements where a door retracting arm for the bar and a fire pit. This guy is making shit happen. Check out our new lift here.

https://liftblog.com/2016/10/19/ariz...zona-snowbowl/
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Had to verify that I wasn't loosing my mind

https://sanjuanski.wordpress.com/about/owners/

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...ration-5931635

Wonder what the price what this time? I'll be interested to see what the new operation look like when up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Had to verify that I wasn't loosing my mind

https://sanjuanski.wordpress.com/about/owners/

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...ration-5931635

Wonder what the price what this time? I'll be interested to see what the new operation look like when up and running.
    $350/day for cat ski unless you hook up with passholder
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Seems like this is probably a good thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Here's a link to an article from the Durango Herald...

http://www.durangoherald.com/article...S01/161019547/

I haven't been down here very long but everybody, including the old-timers seem to like this guy. I guess time will tell.
    Yeah this. Lived down there for a long time and worked at Purg and the other cat ski operation on Coal Bank pass. Still have a house and a lot of friends in Durango. Response to the new owner is universally positive, he's doing a lot of good things at the resort already. Looks like he can afford some water rights for snowmaking at Hesperus, hopefully he can acquire some. Building a little base in the early season over there to be able to have more consistent openings would be great.

The cat skiing terrain is is vast and diverse, with some really sick shit. The snowfall at Purg is pretty good, better than T-Ride, and the terrain just north in the bigger mountains gets quite a bit more. Good stuff!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Funny how timing works. I was at a job site at the Y/C last week and the Sup. introduced me to Bob.

Bob used to own San Juan Powdercats and we know mutual folks in the snow/avalanche world so we talked a bit about this as well as the operation.

He echoed the words of good terrain and good snowfall most season. His reasons for getting out were pretty simple. For a family style operation it wasn't a money maker, way too much work and to make money sufficient to justify the work meant much more investment and even more work. As he put it. All summer I would bust my ass doing construction so I could afford to operate the cat skiing business during the winter. Sounds like this approach will be more suitable.

He also said that as soon as he would build the winter roads the snowmobiles would be into his permit area and with the newer sleds they didn't even need the roads.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Been a whole bunch of years since I skied Sipapu or Pajarito. Anybody been down there since Coleman bought them? He make any cool infrastructure improvements?
    No (Pajarito)

When they bought us we heard all about the great things he was going to do. Sipapu was this flat little resort so Pajarito looked pretty awesome. Then they bought Purgatory and we quickly became the red-headed stepchild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    Funny how timing works. I was at a job site at the Y/C last week and the Sup. introduced me to Bob.

Bob used to own San Juan Powdercats and we know mutual folks in the snow/avalanche world so we talked a bit about this as well as the operation.

He echoed the words of good terrain and good snowfall most season. His reasons for getting out were pretty simple. For a family style operation it wasn't a money maker, way too much work and to make money sufficient to justify the work meant much more investment and even more work. As he put it. All summer I would bust my ass doing construction so I could afford to operate the cat skiing business during the winter. Sounds like this approach will be more suitable.

He also said that as soon as he would build the winter roads the snowmobiles would be into his permit area and with the newer sleds they didn't even need the roads.
    How is Bob? Contracting or framing? He sure did work his ass off for many years keeping things going, even lean years. There's a lot of terrain that he explored and opened. Went on a San Juan/Purg Cats tour a month ago. The crew and terrain was excellent. The offered a 25% off promo in January and there may be last minute seat deals if you call and press them directly (vs central reservations and online).

Since purchasing Purg, Coleman has definitely been pro skier and ski area vs pro real estate regarding money spent at the area. Lots more snowmaking (maybe too much) early season has opened lots of terrain. The high speed Chair 8 installed last year without 'midway' staggered loading gets you to the top in 5 minutes vs 20 before. You can bang out laps with zero lift lines in the afternoons. Even weekends.

It'll be interesting to see how Hesperus evolves. After work/night skiing can be fun...or bullet proof.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Here's another article from the Durango Herald that gives some indication as to the future direction of PMR. There's a lot of opportunities there, not sure how much money though. They could do a lot without much $$$ at Hesperus.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/1...res-good-vibes
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    How is Bob? Contracting or framing?
    Framing for a company that does very high end Residential construction.

He seemed pretty content and enjoying Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    Framing for a company that does very high end Residential construction.

He seemed pretty content and enjoying Montana.
    Well, good. He's a sharp framer.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Well, good. He's a sharp framer.
    Alpinord, how was the terrain and day overall cat skiing purg/San Juan? Can u compare to Silverton powdercats?

Thinking of taking my wife up in a couple weeks. Thx!
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Texan Mogul (of Purg/Snowbowl) buys San Juan Untracked (Cat Ski)

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Alpinord, how was the terrain and day overall cat skiing purg/San Juan? Can u compare to Silverton powdercats?

Thinking of taking my wife up in a couple weeks. Thx!
    People enjoy both operations, but Purg/San Juan has a LOT more terrain options and it'll depend on timing and avy hazard what you could ski for either. We had a bunch of snow with high avy danger and stayed in the steeper trees. Purg covers the area north of Purgatory from Cascade past Hermosa drainages (to Scotch Creek) and around Graysill Mountain for above timberline.

Silverton starts higher on Molas Pass and uses the terrain around Grand Turk, NW from Molas Lake and may have more panoramic views.

Here's one video from the day for a small glimpse:

Last edited by Alpinord; 02-21-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Cool! Thx for the beta!

Looked mellow, yet fun which is just about right for my wife.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB