Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TacocaT View Post
    I demoed a timbersled on a 450 ktm 4 or 5 years ago and rode a buddy's 525 ktm also with a timbersled kit for a day last year. I can't imagine anything less than 450cc getting the job done. I was a better dirt bike rider by the time i rode the 525 and had an absolute blast.
    That's what I'm finding out, currently have a 350sxf. Obviously powder looks like a blast, but how are they on sled trails and woopdedoed out roads?

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Yeah, but the lines you can ghost a sled on, usually aren't worth the effort to ski.
    Depends on where you are. In CO, this is largely true, but there's a lot of other places where ghosting sleds is more common and useful.

If I had a 450f I would probably get a snowbike kit. Seeing as I ride a 250f I think I wouldn't get the most pleasure out of it. Rode one a few years ago. Kinda a pogo stick feeling and didn't want to lean. I'll stick with my thumb throttle good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    As a skier; Unless you can ghostride one, Useless! AFAIC
    Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive
    Yeah, but the lines you can ghost a sled on, usually aren't worth the effort to ski.
    It was worth it the hundred or so times my old skidoo cycled these same lines. many of these same lines are regularly accessed by your favorite local Heli ops
    different strokes for different folks I guess.....
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Timbersleds are getting more popular around here.

I wouldn't do it with less than a 450. Saw a guy on 350, and he basically had to follow our tracks to get out (deep day) until our tracks got too steep... then he had to radio his buddies for help.

I don't think you can ghost ride them very well... I don't see a really good application for use along side skiing. .. Sleds are much more versatile for skiers/boarders IMO.

They are relatively easy to maneuver / side hill compared to a sled, but they cant handle the same inclines. If you are already a moto guy or happen to have a 450 kicking around, I can see the appeal. But otherwise, you may as well get a sled.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I already have a sled, but will probably be due for a new one after this season. I would just ride a snowbike.
    TimberSled conversions cost about US$6,000 for the performance package.

I'd also like to get one for the kids old 110CRF to groom fat bike trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'm a little surprised these things are being celebrated here in a ski board. They'll allow the yahoo motorized mobile non athletic types even easier access to prime backcountry powder. Poof, wrrrr, wrrrr, all gone, and, if the pilots are really ignorant of dangers, maybe bury some poor souls skinning up.
    ^ fucking back country elitist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

It was worth it the hundred or so times my old skidoo cycled these same lines. many of these same lines are regularly accessed by your favorite local Heli ops
    different strokes for different folks I guess.....

I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    Nothing a Mo Pros rack won't solve, no? Plenty of guys seem to love that setup. If it works as well as the one on my sled it's a no brainer.
    I don't know if it is that simple on a snobike. The difference I see is the amount of space behind you and the strength sub frame on the back of a moto. The tunnel on a mountain sled is pretty long, leaving more options for mounting points and a lot less ski hanging off the back. Dirt bike frames are not all that stout behind the seat some of the racier bikes have hardly anything there at all. I am sure it can be done but it would probably involve welding.

My experience carrying skis on a dirt bike consist of some very mellow riding for some spring runs. So I am no expert. But I have a ride or two in ski boots under my belt.

so you got a gear box on the snow bike compared to no gear box on a sled, so how is that ... same as riding a dirt bike OR??

I did hear snow bikes are underpowered for the highmarking
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so you got a gear box on the snow bike compared to no gear box on a sled, so how is that ... same as riding a dirt bike OR??

I did hear snow bikes are underpowered for the highmarking

Same as dirt with the clutch, some guys run Rekluse to make them like an automatic tranny, bike won't stall and die if not clutched.

I feel the gearbox is better than a sled cvt, as there's less spin to get the track going vs 4000rpm just for a sled to start moving. Getting out of a pickle in deep snow is easier, as the bike won't trench out of the gate to get you going.

Yeah they won't draw Homo Rainbows like the better sleds. But other than the pyschos banging big chutes or lines, what's the point? The bikes will still get to the top of anything that 99% of sled riders can get to.

Just curious, the dirt bike thing was in another life, at this point I don't see the point in any of them

except mebe work transportation, it sure has been pretty nice getting shuttled around geared up with my saw & fuel to cut trees instead of walkin

Getting out of a pickle in deep snow is easier, as the bike won't trench out of the gate to get you going.

speak for yourself, but the rest us of us over here..... who know how to ride a sled... do not understand this problem.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    speak for yourself, but the rest us of us over here..... who know how to ride a sled... do not understand this problem.

Just the facts, bikes are easier to ride, easier to get unstuck, etc.

yeah I've had dirt bikes stuck, IME stuff with a motor is just a problem waiting to happen, according to the3 T rule if its got tits tires or transistors ...sooner or later you got problems

mtn bike or skis don't work ...pick em up and walk

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Long thread on TAY about these
    I've seen lots of tracks where they shouldn't be... in wilderness. This will continue to be an agitating occurrence.
    Agree, the ratio of bikes to sleds that we've seen coming over the pass and at snow parks around here is rising.
    With Polaris purchasing TImbersled and more manufacturers jumping on board I don't see this going away any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I'd like to see benny sidehill a snowbike or hill climb something steep with a sled and tell us it's easy and low/no-skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I'd like to see him finally off load a chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Without injury
    Lulz - nice trifecta post there boyz.

It was worth it the hundred or so times my old skidoo cycled these same lines. many of these same lines are regularly
    That's great for above treeline terrain (which I envy your access BTW, that looks so awesome), down in the lower 48, there is a lot less terrain like that where you can ghost ride a sled. Snow bikes are a lot easier to ride through wooded and technical terrain for most that aren't die-hard slednecks.

yeah I've had dirt bikes stuck, IME stuff with a motor is just a problem waiting to happen, according to the3 T rule if its got tits tires or transistors ...sooner or later you got problems
    The dirty little secret of the snowbike category is that dirt bikes with track kits are a compromise with the engine being the weak link in the chain. They are engineered for riding on dirt, riding a tracked bike on snow is a different dynamic in terms of power delivery and how the engine was designed to lubricate. Instead of modulating the throttle within a certain rpm range on dirt (original intended use), on snow, rpm's are higher and more sustained. Current engine tech does not properly lubricate when the throttle is held open for a sustained period of time.

The guys that are really into this and getting out on a frequent basis are either doing frequent rebuilds of valve trains (4s) or top ends (2s) to manage the issue. Or, they are turning the bikes over at the end of every season with the wheels re-installed and no mention of Winter use. This makes leak down/compression testing even more important now when purchasing used bikes.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before the mfg's figure this out and start building snow specific power plants tho...
    Last edited by AlpenChronicHabitual; 10-21-2016 at 10:46 AM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    There going to be digging a lot of those out of avalanche debris pretty soon.
    bunny your acqbing
    at a soccer game
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Snowmobiles are easier to ride for people that know how to ride snowmobiles. Snowbikes are easy to ride for people who know how to ride dirtbikes. I have no idea which is easier to ride for that know how to ride neither. As mentioned, put a rekluse in on a snowbike and give to sledneck that doesn't know how to dirt bike and you'll have problems.

Snomo skiing is different thinks to different people. When I live, it is generally a ride/park/skin operation. Bikes could possibly work for this. Obviously, sleds have the advantage is ghostriding/canadian/towing applications.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Snow bikes are a lot easier to ride through wooded and technical terrain for most that aren't die-hard slednecks.

The dirty little secret of the snowbike category is that dirt bikes with track kits are a compromise with the engine being the weak link in the chain. They are engineered for riding on dirt, riding a tracked bike on snow is a different dynamic in terms of power delivery and how the engine was designed to lubricate. Instead of modulating the throttle within a certain rpm range on dirt (original intended use), on snow, rpm's are higher and more sustained. Current engine tech does not properly lubricate when the throttle is held open for a sustained period of time.

The guys that are really into this and getting out on a frequent basis are either doing frequent rebuilds of valve trains (4s) or top ends (2s) to manage the issue. Or, they are turning the bikes over at the end of every season with the wheels re-installed and no mention of Winter use. This makes leak down/compression testing even more important now when purchasing used bikes.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before the mfg's figure this out and start building snow specific power plants tho...
    that somewhat speaks to my question of gears vs CVT, I could get a sled if I wanted but ... I don't

they're
    They're what?

that somewhat speaks to my question of gears vs CVT, I could get a sled if I wanted but ... I don't
    Yeah, it's why we had always owned two sleds and went together or with others.
    It's not a mater of "if" something will fail...

Semi related - a buddy of mine is fond of this saying:
    "if it flies, floats or fucks, rent it"

yes the 3T rule is somewhat similar to 3F rule

the XXX rule of recreational product ownership states that one should never buy anything you can not fuel with a salami sandwich & a beer

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    They're what?

Their there!

Renting is for tourists. Having many cc's of fun and the mechanical aptitude to fix them is the real deal.