Page 115 of 122 FirstFirst ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3031
    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Few shots of a long day on the north side.
    It's been a few weeks since I stopped by here... And this is waiting for me.... Holy shit, thanks for the July stoke, klaus! How long was the approach before skinable snow?

i took two floridians on thier first tour on Sunday... Two AT rookies with very limited ski-ability... Dad didn't make his first turn for 2000 vert. ft or so. But you know what they say: "the first turn is the hardest." Eventually, After he made one, he started linking them. We skied from about 8750 all the way to within 20ft of the car.

PSA: if you swap your roofbox to your sibling's car, make sure you bring the key for it when you go to the mountain. Needless to say, I felt like a dumbass... Wifey did me a solid and made a 6am drive to Sandy to bring it to us. Thanks BD.
    The Hardest Workin' Man in Snow-Business

The road to cloud cap was still closed so 4 plus miles to snow. I'm still feeling it. The wild flowers through the fire zone were robust though.

came across this elevation map of mt. hood and surrounding area, figured it belonged here:

http://www.vividmaps.com/2017/07/mt-...29-meters.html
    Eat em up Houston Cougars !

Climbed Bachelor on Friday. Hit snow around 6500 feet, and had steady pack above the top terminal of Sunrise. The skiing was also quite good even though I didn't start down until 11:30. No sticky snow, maybe because it was only one run on the hot wax job. But still quiet enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    Climbed Bachelor on Friday. Hit snow around 6500 feet, and had steady pack above the top terminal of Sunrise. The skiing was also quite good even though I didn't start down until 11:30. No sticky snow, maybe because it was only one run on the hot wax job. But still quiet enjoyable.
    good on ya for getting out. As if my plate couldn't get any fuller, I said "F it" and went and took another trip to the proverbial-buffet. I might get to ski again before winter...?

I'm headed up for a mellow tour tomorrow, starting early from tline, gotta get some turns in and my schedule opened up! Anybody out there want to join, pack some food and hit me up

I just drove by Hood about an hour ago. looks raw & cooked
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I just drove by Hood about an hour ago. looks raw & cooked
    Hope all is well and Q is healing quickly!

Surface was surprisingly firm yesterday at 7. Hiked in sneakers all the way to the top of Palmer. One could have found skinable snow for most of the way up, if one were so inclined as to skin up the mile halfpipe park/runout. I took said route down, making for a great 2500 ft descent, finished by a short run to the car.

Snacks consumed: 1 chocolate covered glazed donut, 2 GU packs, 1 honey stinger waffle, 1 Kirkland protein bar, 1 pack of belvita cinnamon, 1 EVOL green chile and egg burrito.

climbers lost and found at Tline is STaCKeD again. Food for weeks. Somebody's expedition-cache, still labeled with names and dates, is is sittin unclaimed. Get it while the gettin is good. Paging smallies.

2016-2017 ORYGUN - Annual Pow, Beer, and Duct Tape Thread

Some poor group is up there pissed and hungry looking for all their food.

holy sheeit. one oh fucking 7, too hot....oops, just jumped to 108.2*

108 degrees, that's fucking nuts.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I look forward to the return of the snow's! Seems like a long way out at this point...

Super stoked for snow instead of 95 degree heat and 2 mile visibility due to smoke. Fuck this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidFromFL View Post
    Hope all is well and Q is healing quickly!
    he was so ready to get back to camp!!
    so far he's managed 2 days of skiing with 10 more planned. Ortho molded a hard cast out of polypropylene that is removable, much lighter than the big thing he's been in the past 7 weeks. I took his poles away.he mentioned that they were spreading much salt on the terrain park and race lanes. probably enough to cure a years worth of commercially smoked salmon.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Cooler today...
    Name:  WU 8-3-17.PNG
Views: 261
Size:  24.0 KB
    Correction, at 4:42 it's 107.4*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rainr.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	620.8 KB 
ID:	210283
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

The week before last my girlfriend was at a conference in Portland so I threw my skis in the car and drove up from SF to meet her and road trip back.

I crashed the first night at Devil's Lake and climbed South Sister the next morning.

Name:	SouthSisterCorrected.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	622.8 KB 
ID:	210357

I ditched my skis at the cinder cone half way up and summited with a light pack.

It was snowing butterflies:

One of them seemed very interested in my tech fittings.

Name:	Techbutterfly.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	948.4 KB 
ID:	210348

Nice place!

Name:	FromSSisterCorrected.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	210358

I skied from here and managed to ski about 1500' of vert, with a few short carries.

Name:	SouthSisterDescent.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	210350

The next day I skinned up the Palmer as Timberline was shutting down. Pretty rad that they let you skin up pretty much wherever you want. It was nice to ski a long groomer at the end of July.

I wasn't planning on skiing anymore, but when I came across this patch of snow in Crater Lake that went from the top of Llao Rock to the road (it connects to the right of the frame below), I couldn't help myself.

Name:	Llao2.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	760.0 KB 
ID:	210351

Skiing with lake views; just like home!

Name:	LlaoSlopeCorrected.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	929.5 KB 
ID:	210359

Skiing is cool, but so is jumping into volcanoes.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	210353

I was hoping to come back and use the eclipse as an excuse to ski Mt Jefferson in a couple weeks, but looks like the Whitewater fire has other ideas. Oh well, nice place you guys have!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SouthSister.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	663.2 KB 
ID:	210347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FromSSister.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	210349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LLaoslope.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	925.7 KB 
ID:	210352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SouthSisterCorrected.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	753.3 KB 
ID:	210354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FromSSisterCorrected.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	210355  

Name:	LlaoSlopeCorrected.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	210356  
    Last edited by jorion; 08-07-2017 at 04:53 PM.

♡ suncups. Nice write up. Come on Winter.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

2016-2017 ORYGUN - Annual Pow, Beer, and Duct Tape Thread

the hard look of ski camp
    Q had reported fast snow even with warm temps
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

i'm sorry to bring this up but it is a troubling read. i watched it happening from palmer without realizing it until i got home and i know at least one of you witnessed it from close proximity.

Mount Hood climber died after delays slowed rescue

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...bileshort_home

The dispatcher transferred Cornett to a Clackamas County Sheriff's Office community service officer – an employee who isn't a sworn officer and doesn't carry a weapon but helps the Sheriff's Office in a variety of tasks. On this day, community service officer Connie Haider was fielding phone calls from Clackamas 911.

What was said next is in dispute.

Cornett insists he provided nearly identical information to Haider as he'd given to the dispatcher. But the phone call between Haider and Cornett wasn't recorded.

Cornett said Haider told him to call Timberline Ski Patrol. Cornett said he was taken aback by the advice and emphasized again that it was a climbing accident, not skiing. He said Haider again said to call ski patrol.

Haider, through the Sheriff's Office, said she interpreted Cornett's statement about the location – "just above timberline" – to mean the fall happened just above the Timberline ski area, and that's why she suggested he call Timberline Ski Patrol.

Both the Sheriff's Office and Cornett, a novice climber who once ran for Portland City Council, agree that the call ended with Cornett saying he'd call back if Sheriff's Office assistance was needed. Cornett, however, said he was flummoxed by the unhelpful response and laced his goodbye with a heavy dose of sarcasm.

"So, I'm at 10,500 feet," Cornett said, "... Googling Timberline Ski Patrol to find their number."

He didn't find it. Instead, Cornett located the Timberline Lodge main number, called it and was transferred to ski area guest services. He described the situation again. The person who answered said they would help and, a few minutes later, someone from ski patrol called Cornett.

"At this point, we're 20 minutes into it," recalled Cornett, who, three months after, is still frustrated that his first phone call didn't launch the Sheriff's Office rescue.

At 11:25 a.m., Timberline Ski Patrol Director Brett Wesson called 911 to report the climbing accident – 37 minutes after Cornett's first call.

The Sheriff's Office's description of events differs from Cornett's.

In a statement issued to The Oregonian/OregonLive, the Sheriff's Office said Cornett told Haider that the Sheriff's Office help wasn't needed, that 10 climbers were at the scene and they "thought they could all help get him out."

The statement also noted that Portland Mountain Rescue members were on the mountain when Jenkins fell.

That information, however, wasn't relayed to Cornett, he said.
    Last edited by wyeaster; 08-12-2017 at 08:04 AM.

soooo ... who are the Corvallis/Eugene/Springfield/Cottage Grove mags in here?

I just moved to Eugene a few weeks ago and am finally getting settled in. Keith just shipped my Praxis GPOs, and the wife and I will likely each get Bach 12-packs.

Hit me up if you like to pedal on dirt, I'm into both XC trails and blue-level gravity trails as well. I've been exploring Alsea and Whypass lately, still haven't gotten onto any of the Oakridge stuff.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

i'll be in eugene (hometown) aug 17-22. beer maybe if you're up to it.