Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zermatt crevasse rescue team

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

That was sick. And so fucking scary. Thanks for sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Amazing, that's a high quality edit.

Gripping. Soon as I saw the blood on the snow, I had to turn it off. Anyone want to tell me the extent of the injuries?

^^^ Fractured pelvis, rib injuries, brain injury, internal organ damage and possibly more.

spoiler alert-

victim survives and visits rescuers 3 months later to say thank you.

The victims thousand mile stare on extraction was harrowing.
    Amazing series.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I lost a friend that way.

Being unroped on a big glacier is a gamble more often than not.

Watching 2 x rescuers and 3 x friends all clustered like that near the hole was uncomfortable. In fact, stepping out of the heli unroped would be uncomfortable.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The victims thousand mile stare on extraction was harrowing.
    Amazing series.
    " I remember that I fell down... and that the ground suddenly disappeared under my feet. And the next moment I opened my eyes, I was in the hospital."

Awesome edit!

Such professionalism shown by the European high mountain rescue guys.

The precision of a fine Swiss timepiece and abilities of a seal team sans weapons.
    How can I not get on my knees and bow to a crew like that?

That was really cool, thanks for posting that....... So is this a continuing series, or just a one off thing???
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

^^^ I thought there may be more coming as well, (notice the S1 E1 thing). Frankly, not what I expected from Redbull, I only became aware from a guide friend's fb post.

I've seen a couple of rescues in process and it is impressive. If you have time to kill search YouTube for "PGHM" and also the British series "Angles of Mont Blanc".

It should be mandatory watching for any North American wanting to get rad in the Alps. Somewhat off topic but notice how most rescues are initials with a mobile phone. When traveling to the birth place of extreme skiing, having a phone the works with the appropriate rescue numbers is very important.

That started a couple years ago. During the guide meeting we all exchange phone numbers including heli rescue, local taxis, etc.

Best bars to go to, etc.

just watched that last night
    thx for posting it up

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I've seen a couple of rescues in process and it is impressive. If you have time to kill search YouTube for "PGHM" and also the British series "Angles of Mont Blanc".

It should be mandatory watching for any North American wanting to get rad in the Alps. Somewhat off topic but notice how most rescues are initials with a mobile phone. When traveling to the birth place of extreme skiing, having a phone that works with the appropriate rescue numbers is very important.
    With the pervasive reception coverage most of the Alps have, calling in seems a lot easier than getting caught in the US b/c and having to hike a day to get a signal. Or even being on the side of a highway in the mountains that's not an interstate.

Wow, heavy stuff. I love first responders.

Fantastic rescue, and fantastic edit. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Watching 2 x rescuers and 3 x friends all clustered like that near the hole was uncomfortable. In fact, stepping out of the heli unroped would be uncomfortable.
    Agreed 100%. I was surprised they stepped out unroped so close to the opening of a clearly very large crevasse.

I was also surprised they chose not to put the patient on a back board before pulling him out. I'm curious how much extra time that would have taken.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    With the pervasive reception coverage most of the Alps have, calling in seems a lot easier than getting caught in the US b/c and having to hike a day to get a signal. Or even being on the side of a highway in the mountains that's not an interstate.
    True, but, to be fair, that can be mitigated with a PLB, sat phone, etc.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Has anybody else continued watching past episode 1?

I watched episode 2 and 3 last night. Some cool scenes, but I don't understand why they airlift half the people they do.... There were two airlifts from the resort that would have been sled rides in the US. A dislocated shoulder and a blown knee. Do the Swiss have some awesome healthcare system where they airlift people for less than critical injuries? Or does Air Zermatt sell some type of airlift insurance to vacationers that these people are exercising?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

PLB/InReach devices sure help in places without cell. But really the idea is that if you are on crevassed terrain in an area with non-EU air response, you should be able to rope-rescue your own team mate from a slot. Deep ones are pretty hard, but at least be able to get down the hole, secure the person, and try to keep them warm.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Fantastic rescue, and fantastic edit. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed 100%. I was surprised they stepped out unroped so close to the opening of a clearly very large crevasse.
    ...plus the camera man.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Do the Swiss have some awesome healthcare system?
    Yes.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    PLB/InReach devices sure help in places without cell. But really the idea is that if you are on crevassed terrain in an area with non-EU air response, you should be able to rope-rescue your own team mate from a slot. Deep ones are pretty hard, but at least be able to get down the hole, secure the person, and try to keep them warm.
    No disagreement from me.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Zermatt / cervinia prob have more terrain than all cali resorts put together.you just don't go down a lil ski run in the big euro resorts to get to the bottum. Some runs take hours to get down. And yes you buy insurance when u buy a lift ticket.make a call n they come n pick you up.

Very cool little series, love seeing this side of things. I was a bit surprised too that they airlifted the guy with the busted shoulder/arm, but hey, if he's gonna pay for it...

Would love a similar series on YOSAR, I don't think most people understand the crazy lengths that idiots go to to get themselves into trouble, and all the work that goes into getting them out of it!

Oh my god. What a video! But yes, couldn't believe they all worked unroped like that.