Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ski like the 2011 Sickle

Hey,

I have a pair of the Rossignol Sickle, blue top sheets 186cm.

I'm looking for something similar, as they have been awesome for touring to be honest. Excel in pretty much everything except iceballs, and well, what skis iceballs well?

Fully rockered, but very little, like a 1/4 inch of rocker. Full sidecut.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a ski that would be similar?

Thanks
    thecoyote

Devastator

with the caveat that the devastator skis a bit heavier and damper.

Thecoyote, here's my take on it:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ssignol-Sickle

If you mounted on the rec'd line for the 186 Sickle and liked it, consider mounting 1-2 cm back from the line on the 184 Devastator

1/4" of rocker? 6mm of splay? The Devastator looks like it has much more than that. The new Moment Meridan too. Both worth taking a look at. I really liked the Sickle and I picked up a pair of Meridian for this upcoming season, but for where I'm looking to place these skis in the quiver, I wanted a bit more rocker than the Sickle.

For touring? Look for a pair of Volkl Nunataqs. Will ski similarly, but lighter.

Cono Frio, the Devs definitely do have more splay than the Sickle. That's not saying much though, because the Sickles are closer to a flat camber twin tip than a reverse camber ski. My 186 Sickles have maybe 2 mm of splay at the tip and tail.

I don't have the skis in front of me, but I seems like the Devs have more like 10mm of tip splay.

More importantly though, the Sickles and Devs basically engage the entire edge of the ski when tipped over to carve on harder snow. So I don't think the increased splay hurts the hard snow performance of the Devs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    For touring? Look for a pair of Volkl Nunataqs. Will ski similarly, but lighter.
    I've owed both, and while the rocker profile and width are similar, the Nunatuqs and the Sickles ski pretty differently. Obviously the Sickes are heavier and their rubber layer does a much better job of reducing vibration in shitty snow. But the mount point is also quite different. If you like -5 to -6 cm from true center and ski more upright, then the - 12 to - 14 cm from true center on the Nunatuqs may not be a natural fit.

I sold my Nunatuqs and will be replacing them, probably with 184 Ravens this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    I've owed both, and while the rocker profile and width are similar, the Nunatuqs and the Sickles ski pretty differently. Obviously the Sickes are heavier and their rubber layer does a much better job of reducing vibration in shitty snow. But the mount point is also quite different. If you like -5 to -6 cm from true center and ski more upright, then the - 12 to - 14 cm from true center on the Nunatuqs may not be a natural fit.

I sold my Nunatuqs and will be replacing them, probably with 184 Ravens this year.
    Good beta - I have very little time on either ski and recall them skiing fairly similarly, but I think all skis with low rise reverse camber and traditional sidecut ski similarly to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Where's the mount point on that? Thinking its pretty far back like most Volkls?

I'm on my 2nd pair of the 186 S6/Sickles you are talking about. Seems like Rossi got all caught up in marketing their 5 point design in the S7 dropped a great ski. This year I'll be giving the orange super 7s a shot because the reviews are great but I know they aren't the Sickle. However last spring at A Basin I was skiing my Sickles and stood next a a guy who had some all black skis with simply a R (Rossi) logo. He told me these were a 'secret' new ski called the Black Ops but didn't want to discuss the details or dimensions. It was funny that both myself and others commented on how much their size and shape looked like my Sickles. There's hardly any info out on the interwebs but there's a chance this could be close to the Sickle replacement many of us are looking for.

Touring on devastators wouldn't be my first choice. Sickles are much lighter and ski that way too.

Attachment 190119

Check out that black ski on the right. The photo is from Rossi's site & it's the new Black Ops.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Touring on devastators wouldn't be my first choice. Sickles are much lighter and ski that way too.
    Calling in a fact check on that one:

186 Sickles 2215 gm
    184 Devs 2298 gm

Doubt you'd notice the 83 gm per ski difference. OTOH, I wouldn't choose either as a touring only setup.

Back ops are coming. I heard limited #s 185cm.
    Held a pair last spring,didn't ski them. Looked great, reminded me of the old S6/Raven, but with rocker and maybe a bit wider, new construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Fun Consultant View Post
    Back ops are coming. I heard limited #s 185cm.
    Held a pair last spring,didn't ski them. Looked great, reminded me of the old S6/Raven, but with rocker and maybe a bit wider, new construction.
    Black Ops. 118 waist. Fondled a pair just the other day. Decent looking ski. Not sure of turn radius since there are no numbers any where, shop owner mic'd the waist. Looked to be 20'ish turn radius. Nice rocker and taper profile. Fairly stuff under foot. Seems to be a totally diff ski than the sickle.

What's up with the mid 180 length on these skis? I thought the sickle would have been great in a 190 or 192. Too little of ski for me, and I sold it.

Black Ops is 186 only, our pair weighed 2553 grams per ski, doesn't seem especially touring-friendly to me.

I agree on touring, didn't strike me as that was the market. Sled, cat, Heli, or sidecountry.
    Or dare I say it, lift access.
    Looked fun, looking forward to skiing it.
    Size wise, I thought the rockered sickle was a bit short, but liked the 185 traditional ski before it.
    Hopefully this is a new blend of both, 6'3 210lbs. I've been known to get off balance on occasion, it'd be nice to have a stable platform to try to recover onto.

After more than a year of reading reviews and contemplating, I'm going with ON3P Kartel 108s in 186 as a replacement to my 186 Sickles. Will report back in a few months if anyone's interested.

RIP Sickles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested to hear your Sickle vs Kartel 108 thoughts. Like you, I'm still on the hunt for a Sickle replacement. I just started a Folsom Primary SRC thread, which I'm hoping will be the answer for the Sickle replacement for me.

I just acquired a pair for a good price on here based on everyone's glowing reviews. Apparently the ones I got have the 10-11 rocker profile that is flat instead of full rocker. Anyone else have these and if so did you notice it? Thanks

Sent from my VS988 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TeenaGeR View Post
    I just acquired a pair for a good price on here based on everyone's glowing reviews. Apparently the ones I got have the 10-11 rocker profile that is flat instead of full rocker. Anyone else have these and if so did you notice it? Thanks

Sent from my VS988 using TGR Forums mobile app
    To clarify - they weren't supposed to be flat, Rossi fucked up the pressing on those. Most had some camber and some had two pods of camber like a Deathwish or Concept. Haven't skied them though, so nothing to say on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pair of Sickles is pretty damn flat, and skis just fine.