Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Don't forget your glasses
    Name:  20882287_1932419916975926_4543166904890471694_n (1).jpg
Views: 329
Size:  76.9 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Was at Grizzly Outfitters today and overheard a Yellowstone Club MILF say "I will be driving to Bozeman during the eclipse, but these eclipse glasses are so dark, how can I drive with them on ?"

This whole event is bringing out the absolute stupid.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Was at Grizzly Outfitters today and overheard a Yellowstone Club MILF say "I will be driving to Bozeman during the eclipse, but these eclipse glasses are so dark, how can I drive with them on ?"

This whole event is bringing out the absolute stupid.
    Overhead gantry warning signs on I90 in Seattle past couple of days...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Crazy dead in Jackson today. Less than an average summer weekend

Either tommorrow is total shitshow or they overhyped this to the point they scared people away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    True story, but this is also the start of the typical last week or so of August dropping off big. I drove the pass around 8:30 and it was surprisingly busy, both directions. Picking up, to what level who the fuck knows...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

So I've read most of the replies and several online posts from NASA etc. still haven't really seen why we are still healthy after hiking biking straight into the sun with sunglasses. Yes the eyes are slightly diverted hopefully, but not much. Also not that I lay on the beach but people do, with the sun straight at their face with only sunglasses and or eyelids. I've read about the ambient light being darker, but is that really all there is to it? A notable academic source told me privately sunglasses were sufficient but I can't find anything online to back that up. I do have eclipse glasses and will use them, but just logically not making sense.

Courtesy NASA

"So why do people say it's dangerous to look at a solar eclipse? Well, in general (during non-eclipse times), you've probably been told not to stare at the sun. This is because the sun simply outputs more power than our eye is designed to handle, and exposing our eye to that kind of power can damage the retina. And in a nutshell, solar eclipses are dangerous because the sun can come out from behind the moon and "surprise you" before you have a chance to look away. And this is actually even worse than when you normally look away from the sun because during the total eclipse, it is dark out, and your pupil therefore dialates so that it can let in enough light to get a good picture. Then, when the sun reappears and starts flooding the area with really bright light, not only are you staring straight at it, but your eye is in a state where it is wide open, and actively trying to let in as much light as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    So I've read most of the replies and several online posts from NASA etc. still haven't really seen why we are still healthy after hiking biking straight into the sun with sunglasses. Yes the eyes are slightly diverted hopefully, but not much. Also not that I lay on the beach but people do, with the sun straight at their face with only sunglasses and or eyelids. I've read about the ambient light being darker, but is that really all there is to it? A notable academic source told me privately sunglasses were sufficient but I can't find anything online to back that up. I do have eclipse glasses and will use them, but just logically not making sense.
    I am not a scientist, or an eye surgeon or in any way qualified to answer this but I think it is like sticking your hand in a fire. You can do it a lot as long as it is only for a microsecond or so because your shit is water and it takes a second to heat it up and turn to ash. Same with your eyes. Focus on the sun for a microsecond and you're good to go. Stare at the sun and you are fucked. The eclipse makes the sun seem darker to your eyes but even a small flame is still enough to turn your retina to ash. For the record when I was a stupid kid I remember staring at the sun for a bit while hanging out with the even dumber kid that lived next door. I can still see fine but looking back with 20/20 vision (with corrective lenses) it seems like that was a sure sign I would never amount to much.

I had some beers with friends in Prineville tonight, at a couple different patio bars. The crowds are not materializing. Very weird.

Those things do make sense. But haven't you laid in a beach and had your face pointed right at the sun?

Watched the sun slip into the ocean?

Hiked towards the sun as it's right in front of you low in the horizon?

Still seems a bit odd that uva+uvb sunglasses aren't sufficient. Again I'm not going to risk it but things that make you go hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    You should stare at the sun with your Oakleys on and report back to us.

Hey, thermonuclear protection, right?

One minor difference between a sunset and an eclipse is the amount of atmosphere between you and the sun. Say about ten miles of thickish air straight above you gradually thinning to nothing vs. the distance to the horizon plus that times a few for the angle involved. (Or do the trig, but the horizon is a lot more than 10 miles away.) Minor compared to fully dilated pupils, but meaningful in terms of sun damage.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    #14 welding lens, cardboard, duct tape. Much better than wearing a welding helmetAttachment 210777
    I bought the 5x4 so I could just hold it up to my face. Went shade #13, which is supposedly better but can be harder to find. I ordered it sorta last minute and it just came today. Glad I did, it's way better than the glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I am not a scientist, or an eye surgeon or in any way qualified to answer this but I think it is like sticking your hand in a fire. You can do it a lot as long as it is only for a microsecond or so because your shit is water and it takes a second to heat it up and turn to ash. Same with your eyes. Focus on the sun for a microsecond and you're good to go. Stare at the sun and you are fucked. The eclipse makes the sun seem darker to your eyes but even a small flame is still enough to turn your retina to ash. For the record when I was a stupid kid I remember staring at the sun for a bit while hanging out with the even dumber kid that lived next door. I can still see fine but looking back with 20/20 vision (with corrective lenses) it seems like that was a sure sign I would never amount to much.
    The best part is you have no nerve endings in your retina, so you can't even feel your eye fry.

Buncha horseshit made up by Big Eclipse Glass to keep their shareholders pockets fat.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    the horizon is a lot more than 10 miles away
    Not disagreeing with the rest of your post, but on a 'flat' surface like the ocean, the horizon is closer than 10 miles. /sailing geek

I gotz my shades.

Been looking straight into the son, son
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Not disagreeing with the rest of your post, but on a 'flat' surface like the ocean, the horizon is closer than 10 miles. /sailing geek
    True. Trying to simplify that geometry is kinda fraught. Changing density with altitude doesn't gloss over so well at very low angles, either, but that goes the other way, so maybe if you hold your thumb up just right and squint it sort of makes sense. Maybe.

^^^ plus refraction.

I'm just going to wear an eye patch. Chicks dig the pirate look.

Sure but how will they see you if it's dark? Better stay where there's some clouds just to be safe.

How well do zombies see in the dark? Is it just their brains that are rotten, is their vision ok?
    If they can see, I'll need the gun, If their blind as a bat, a baseball bat will suffice.
    Gotta be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    I always thought this was hyped; everyone predicting chaos was either a booster, looking to get county money or in emergency services (where it's the job to plan for worst case scenarios). But, fuck, last night was sad. Driggs was less crowded than the 4th of July weekend. Looking like the thousands of destination tourists simply aren't showing up. Sure, all the hotels got booked and a lot of second home owners are in town but where are the mobs of tourists? There does not seem to be a big wave of campers and RVs coming in. I saw a big private camping place last night with food and music set up and it had maybe twenty customers. The places without food and music don't seem to have anyone at all. I think the county would have rented about 600 too many portapotties. Maybe the moral of the story is don't listen to the guy who wants to make a killing renting portapotties, he'll tell you 50,000 people are coming.

Just substitute eclipse for monorail.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-20-2017 at 03:02 PM.

It all makes sense. I have kids and they start school this week. With all the hype I wouldn't want them out there anyway. Shoulder season starts this week plus families scared off by rumours of monster crowds = sensible crowds.

I did see that the Elkhart trailhead outside of Pinedale closed late last week because they were at capacity. Thing is it was almost full a week ago. Everyone flocking after the huge snowpack up there finally melted.

I hope a bunch of non profits don't lose their ass on fundraisers that don't pan out. That always bums me out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

We found a spot next to a park in a rural town in the totality zone & it seems like we are the only eclipse visitors here. The idea is to spend the night in the truck and wake up without a drive. It's not the most exciting spot, just away from major highways.

I feel sort of silly, but wonder if the day will see more folks showing up. Wondering if we should go home and come back tonight?

i'm staying in eugene until the eclipse is done and then going to drive back to pdx monday immediately following betting that everybody is going south and not north.