Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Amazing experience . Totality went by way too fast. I just never realized on a visceral level the power of the sun till you see the intensity of the corona during totality. That ring of fire and intense light was one of the prettiest and awe inspiring things I have seen. Like some magic special effect you would see in a Lord of the Rings movie except far more intense and real. Definitely going to Texas for 4 minutes of totality in 7 years. Traffic sucked ass though . We played golf in Madras figuring traffic would die down a bit. So wrong. 97 to I90 over the back side of the mountains was a nightmare. 4 and a half hours driving down in the morning. 7 and a half coming back.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    So many of my friends and people that didn't go have said this. I think it's because there is no way to truly describe what you experience in totality. It is an absolute must do and the only way to get it is to be there. I am still in shock, it is simply the most amazing thing I have ever experienced.
    I think you're either going to get it or you won't. Yes, it was absolutely worth it being there in person, but if you've seen the photos and videos and are still unimpressed it's probably just not the thing for you. I can't understand it, but there are obviously people out there that don't find a total eclipse that interesting.

Madras airport traffic jam (click to play):

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post

I counted 83!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think you're either going to get it or you won't. Yes, it was absolutely worth it being there in person, but if you've seen the photos and videos and are still unimpressed it's probably just not the thing for you. I can't understand it, but there are obviously people out there that don't find a total eclipse that interesting.
    That's the thing the photos and videos don't necessarily impress because it's impossible to capture what's actually going down without being there.

No way would anyone that doesn't find it interesting would have that same attitude after they experienced one. If they did, they may be a serial killer.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    68% in new York never looked more than a third
    Cell phone shot of image in pin hole box

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I used both pin hole and glasses. The pin hole did not change much from 5% to 71%. I think it is just the optics of a home made pin hole. A smaller, more perfect circle hole would provide better optics than a tack through aluminum foil. I also noticed the pin hole optics got worse over the 18 hours we had the camera

As rad as it was, I probably wouldn't pay gobs of money to fly half way around the world just to see one like some people do. 2024 is going to be a hard decision since it's a minimum 20ish-hour drive to anywhere in totality. Tempting though for double the length.

Who who posted here that flying cars would solve the traffic problem?.........

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Who who posted here that flying cars would solve the traffic problem?.........
    Just think of the traffic jam in the air! Probably would block out the eclipse for anyone on the ground.

It just goes to show you, it’s always something — if it ain’t one thing, it’s another.

/Roseanne Roseannadanna
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Yea I agree the people watching and the excitement was cool. Driving thru town with 5-10 minutes to go was also a trip. Everyone was outside but there was not a car on the road. Saw maybe 5-8 cars out the entire way south to north.

On the way back it was like that scene from the Truman show where everyone suddenly crowds the road ahead.
    During was kind of like Christmas Eve....no/few cars through the canyon. Nice and quiet. Had some clouds roll through...someone said it could have been from the cooling causing convection and cloud formation over the foothills here.

The clouds let me see a few glimpses without glasses. Cool enough for not having to deal with a shitshow of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Three sunspots? Or just crap on the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Apparently the 2024 totality will be about twice as long.
    Source? I'm already 'thinking' about '24 and the spots I looked at in the NE say around 2:--. Same as I got here.

Solar Eclipse 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    That's the thing the photos and videos don't necessarily impress because it's impossible to capture what's actually going down without being there.

No way would anyone that doesn't find it interesting would have that same attitude after they experienced one. If they did, they may be a serial killer.
    My 7yo is one of those. Or maybe she's being a little contrarian. My wife and I kept talking about how cool the experience was, daughter just kept asking what makes it so cool?

Screw pinhole cameras...just grab a colander.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Source? I'm already 'thinking' about '24 and the spots I looked at in the NE say around 2:--. Same as I got here.
    Click on the map anywhere and it will tell you the length of totality. It's longer at the SW end of the path, but still almost 3.5 minutes in Maine

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8#

I didn;t find it interesting, but was at 90% or so.

But every single person I know that went and saw the totality said it was AMAZING. I suppose one could argue self-selection, not a valid survey, etc, but between here and FB, I have seen a lot of posts.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Click on the map anywhere and it will tell you the length of totality. It's longer at the SW end of the path, but still almost 3.5 minutes in Maine

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8#
    I'm going to Vermont! Burlington gets 3:17 of totality.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I totally liked it, even at 68%. At the job site in VT, shared the glasses with the 93 year old man, we are building the house for. He was blown away, hope he makes it to the next one! He'll be very close to the path of totality.
    crab in my shoe mouth

The Corvallis airport was also completely packed

Keep in mind the 2024 eclipse is in April. If you want a good chance of clear skies you might want to head to Mexico or south Texas.

Keep in mind the 2024 eclipse is in April. If you want a good chance of clear skies you might want to head to Mexico or south Texas.
    It's a longer down there too. 4-something minutes

Austin is going to be rocking in 2024 - that's my first choice

Of course the early April date also puts it in ski season. What's the best mountain that's within totality? Jay? Whiteface?

Ended up in north KS, where the weather broke against us in the last 24 hrs. We ended up very lucky, getting about 40m of observation and 45s of visible totality, despite being within a sand wedge of the center line. Asked a couple of locals how long it'd been since so many nerds were in KS at the same time... No one could recall it in recent memory. I thought I was being funny when I overheard someone make a comment about religious belief and yelled "THAT'S WHY IT'S RAINING! I KNEW THERE MUST BE AN ATHEIST AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE!", but the look of panic was very real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Word got out that Idaho fucking sucks. Thanks for spreading the word and helping keep the roadways clear. Sideways photo from a sandy beach in the Sawtooths at Redfish Lake... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7537.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	914.6 KB 
ID:	210927