Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You need to figure out which side you're going to argue in favor of.
    I never argued that it wouldn't be dark. The point is totality is two minutes long. I don't expect a bunch of lights to go on for that two minutes. Basically everyone in the path of totality is going to be looking at the eclipse--I would hope.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yes it does.
    "At this point we’ve reached totality and you will now be standing in the shadow of our Moon. A great black disc will replace our Sun. The sky will be so dark that the stars and planets near to the Sun and above our horizon will be visible, almost like night truly has enveloped us."
    https://www.spaceanswers.com/astrono...solar-eclipse/
    Key word is "almost".

Here is the wiki for the one I saw in Baja. Almost 7 minutes. It was major->There won't be a longer one until June 13, 2132, it had the greatest magnitude of any since the 6th century and is the most central in 800 years prior and 800 years after.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola..._July_11,_1991

To see kind of how dark it gets during the eclipse, check out this video starting at 27:30.

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Cool site with excellent maps for future eclipses

http://eclipsewise.com/eclipse.html#recent
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    To see kind of how dark it gets during the eclipse, check out this video starting at 27:30.

That's not a good gauge at all.

The last full solar eclipse I saw circa 1979 we were blazing on lsd @ Maryhill Stonehenge replica which is this year, very near the path of totality.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryhill_Stonehenge .

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#670e22c347b8

2.) This may create the worst traffic jam in American history. There are a number of people planning on waking up less than 24 hours before the eclipse and driving to a point along the path of totality. Over 200 million Americans live within a 500 mile drive of this path: approximately 2/3rds of everyone living within the United States.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I hate to break it to you guys but it does not get dark.
    Oh, cmon.....as if light rays bent or something.

Apparently, not many people have seen a full solar eclipse or even seen pics....it doesn't get all that dark.

SLC is 95% of totality. I think that's enough, it will be a sliver of a difference. I've seen a similar eclipse, it didn't blow my mind like I thought it would. (Unless I take acid, then ya know it's a world of difference.)

Am I misguided in not taking a 3 hour drive north to see 100%?

OK, so prediction on how many Americans will go blind.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My original plan was to drive to Madras to view the eclipse, but since every story I read says Madras is going to be a complete shitshow I'm rethinking this. Since I'll be staying in Government Camp I was thinking about driving to Timothy Lake very early in the morning eclipse day and hoping I'll be able to find a place to park. Is there anyone that's familiar with that area who can tell me whether or not this is a good plan?

Solar Eclipse 2017

Timothy Lake will likely be busy esp as it's on the edge of totality

Maybe consider just hanging on Hood?

My original plan was to drive to Madras to view the eclipse, but since every story I read says Madras is going to be a complete shitshow I'm rethinking this. Since I'll be staying in Government Camp I was thinking about driving to Timothy Lake very early in the morning eclipse day and hoping I'll be able to find a place to park. Is there anyone that's familiar with that area who can tell me whether or not this is a good plan?
    I don't think there is a ton of parking there if I remember correctly. We camped there, so I don't know what the day use is like

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Timothy Lake will likely be busy esp as it's on the edge of totality

Maybe consider just hanging on Hood?
    I'm going specifically to see the eclipse so it would be exceptionally lame to just be somewhere with "almost" totality.

My wife is a home health nurse in Madras. Her team had a meeting today in Bend; the consensus is that anyone in Madras who needs emergency care that weekend is fucked. They're expecting total gridlock on all highways; my wife has told all her regulars to plan on no outside help until at least the Tuesday after. Predictions are that the normally 60 minute drive from Madras to Bend will take 6 to 8 hours. Stay the fuck away from Madras.

Absolutely nuts. We were on the line in Baja in '91 for almost 7 minutes and it was deserted.

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on Madras. The problem is there just aren't that many ways in and out of there.

Let's just hope it's sunny that day. Can you imagine what will happen if it turns out to be cloudy in Western Oregon?

Solar Eclipse 2017

This one has turned into some weird cultural/spiritual must-see. So bizarre.

I'll try to update this thread the morning of; I plan to walk a couple miles north of my house to get to two-minute range.

This is the shit I'm seeing on Bend's Craig's List:

These people are gonna be pissed if it's cloudy.

...and look at this shit:

$250/night, 2 night minimum, 40 sites on a fucking parking lot, with no amenities.

Owner makes +$20k that weekend. Nuts.

Was hearing that friends can rent out their place in Jackson/Driggs/Victor for like 10k for the week. Everyone I know out there is GTFO to make some money and avoiding the craziness.

Gonna climb a mountain. I'm told it's going to be the best spot...

We are right on the edge of totality, so not planning on going anywhere. I'm dreading the entire weekend. We are running a 25K up at Harriman State Park the Saturday and it sounds like the region will already be packed with visitors. I know the local sheriff and deputies are seriously worried. They are working out agreements to take any ill/injured folks to Dillon since getting to Idaho Falls will probably be a nightmare.

I'm going specifically to see the eclipse so it would be exceptionally lame to just be somewhere with "almost" totality.
    I hear you

I keep waffling between trying to find BLM or NF land to camp starting Thursday prior and just bagging it and staying pdx and avoiding the shit show

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    Gonna climb a mountain. I'm told it's going to be the best spot...
    Unless you're going for Mt. Jefferson, or anything in the Tetons... then you'll be crammed with a hundred antsy eclipsoids.

A nice Google map:

http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEg...ug21Tgmap.html