Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Preview of I25 near Glendo ?

What movie is that from? Looks mid 90s by the look of those cars. I - 64 west of cut-off to Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel?

^ Deep Impact.

There are some places that are seeing YUGE numbers like Prineville and Madras.

Madras had to bring in a portable air traffic control tower to handle the increased air traffic.

Madras ups eclipse attendance estimate to 100,000

Prineville bears brunt of early eclipse traffic
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Same thing happened here when we had "The Gentlemen of the Road re: predictions of visitors. Looked dicey for a lot of the local restaurants that had invested in perishables to feed the masses but in the end it came out okay and the city was happy they had hosted the event.
    Wait, what?

Friends of the road must mean another thing there, much less " gentlemen of the road"
    I still call it The Jake.

Found a good spot to view the eclipse

Nice sunset lead in

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I'm just dropping this here....

Attachment 210824
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ True story? Wow...
    ^^^ True story? Wow...

So traffic from Invermere to Kennewick was light, 9 hours door to door with a few stops. Hoping my alpine start tomorrow will avoid some traffic.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Found a good spot to view the eclipse

Nice sunset lead in

Aw man... looks great buddy. Too bad I couldn't hook up with you and the fam. Have a wonderful day tomorrow Scott!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Right on, thanks Gary! Same to you, brother.

We'll be dragging ass through Baker City around 3pm if we make it off the mountain smoothly. Hike out and 4x4 deproach slows us to be a bit behind you, I gather. Buzz me if you might still be around.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Right on, thanks Gary! Same to you, brother.

We'll be dragging ass through Baker City around 3pm if we make it off the mountain smoothly. Hike out and 4x4 deproach slows us to be a bit behind you, I gather. Buzz me if you might still be around.
    Baker City 3 - 4 ish sounds like a date. I'll wear something nice. See you then bro.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

About 78% here. I've got three extra kids tomorrow so we are building a box viewer or two, projecting with binos, and using eclipse glasses. We will probably watch some live stream or other as well.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Three major fires in the area = lots of haze. The Sisters and Madras plumes were huge yesterday.
    Chokingly thick smoke here early this AM, but OK by evening. Fire lines are finally holding except for what's in Wilderness. Our local mtb trail system is in the evac zone, so no riding up to the kiva for eclipse. Hoping air quality is tolerable tomorrow AM for 34 secs of totality in my back yard

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wait, what?

Friends of the road must mean another thing there, much less " gentlemen of the road"
    http://www.gentlemenoftheroad.com/stopovers/about/
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Sorry to hear about the fires for sake of the fires more than the eclipse.

I'm setting up at Sloans Lake if anyone wants to hang out. Should be about 90% or more here. Reports of traffic on i25 north but google maps isn't showing it.
    I know several random people heading north at 5am.

Confirmed looking at sun even for a split second at 3pm with good sunglasses on hurts like fuck. Still doesn't seem logical you can look right at it lower on horizon and be fine. The atmosphere filters that much? Or laying on a beach sunglasses in eyes closed facing up, eyelids filter that much?

Looks like more steady traffic heading south on I15 towards Sage Junction at 5:30 this morning, but nothing crazy. We will be watching from either the office or heading out to a spot on the desert. Skies are clear now, but I see thin clouds. Smoke from Lolo fire has cleared. Just another day at the office with an eclipse break for us since we are still in the 100% zone.

Our spot in North Carolina was definitely busy yesterday. Probably the busiest I've seen this particular town, but I don't imagine it was any more so than a typical 4th of July. Cops everywhere for sure. Will see what today brings...praying the sky stays clear.

Who does Ken Jong pray to?

25 north from Denver to Cheyenne looks heavy for sure. Glendo looks like a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Who does Ken Jong pray to?

25 north from Denver to Cheyenne looks heavy for sure. Glendo looks like a parking lot.
    Himself.

I think one of the OPs has a B-Day today. Acinpdx I think.

Having spent the last five days in Moose, WY, I'm unqualified to comment of traffic/crowds in town. I don't think anybody will be dying on the side of the road from exposure.

However my kids drove in last night and said town wasn't busy at all.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    There are some places that are seeing YUGE numbers like Prineville and Madras.

Madras had to bring in a portable air traffic control tower to handle the increased air traffic.

Madras ups eclipse attendance estimate to 100,000

Prineville bears brunt of early eclipse traffic
    I can't speak for Madras, but Prineville is not seeing a surge, other than the initial wave of folks heading to the music festival; they cleared out by Thursday evening. I have two friends who own bars in town, and both say their crowds are at normal levels.

All hype.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

the eclipse is a perfect time to sneak up on sasquatch
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post

All hype.
    Same in Oregon. My thought was it will get bad right after

I bailed on making plans because of all the hype/shitshow factor. Now I'm kicking myself that it hasn't really panned out. If I didn't have an important work thing at noon I might try to make the PDX to Salem drive right now.

^same here. We don't have shit going on so we are bailing now to hopefully get up in totality