Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Solar Eclipse 2017

Lots of videos starting to pop up. I got excited, but not as much as this dbag....which one of you is this? If I was parked near this dude, I would have snapped.

https://youtu.be/jkZvUDs6CAE

Sounds like the double rainbow video guy struck again.

Do you think he yells "The shadow cone is coming!!" when he's in bed, too?

Was it good for you too?

Geez.

I can see a prominence! There's a prominence!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Some numbnut near me launched a fucking drone just before totality. Pretty much everyone within earshot yelled for the fucker to land it about two seconds after it was airborne.

did it land?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    did it land?
    Yes, I'm pretty sure he got the hint.

I think I mentioned it, but some dickheads set off fireworks at totality.

Fireworks and drones? People suck, we could see one other group of two with binoculars but that was it. We did pay for the remoteness on the drive out though.

Man, I'm glad I watched where I did. No people for at least a half mile around. Could hear cheering at totality and since car honks, but that made it a little more exciting.

A guy I work with watched from a rest stop on ramp off I-25 with probably 1000 other people. Everybody had their eclipse countdown apps going, drones were flying overhead, people playing music, etc.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Solar Eclipse 2017

Luckily the fireworks were on another mountain, so it wasn't too bad, but did distract my daughter. Distractions were pretty minimal at our cabin. You could hear voices rise as it got close to totality which was kind of cool, but no one went apeshit.

Awesome to catch up with you and the fam buddy!
    We must talk about this Patagonia idea some more

Just a quick note to all who were underwhelmed by the partial. It just doesn't hold a candle to totality.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Thanks, all.

Almost forgot... we had a little picnic with garyfromterrace in the park in Baker City post eclipse! Great to see you again, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I'm daydreaming hard about the next one!

December 14, 2020 in Patagonia would be outrageous and I might have to make another Christmas trip to that area. Maybe climb Lanín or Villarica.

July 2, 2019 in the Atacama could be neat as well. Maybe observe from the beach in La Serena with a few Pisco Sours, or in the high country up by Río Hurtado. I stayed in the Hacienda de los Andes there a few years ago and would go back for sure. There are a few huge telescope observatories in that area... might be sweet to use some big glass! Not sure about public access or road conditions in winter there, but food for thought.

“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Partial = 1" new
    Totality: 30" new
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Partial = 1" new
    Totality: 30" new
    I like that.

I was at the office yesterday talking to a few others who experienced the 30" new. As we were recounting it, another colleague walked up to join in the conversation. I asked if he checked out the eclipse, as I figured he had due to the kind a guy he is! He said yeah, it was awesome. We asked where down south did he head...nope, stayed in Portland. The other 30 inchers of blower pow looked at each other...and shook our heads non discreetly...

Not sure I understand someone that lived 30 to 45 minutes from totality not taking the time to get down there...most I know that did not, have admitted they feel like they missed out big. They are right. Not trying to rub anyones noses in it...but I would say that one must try to see totality once in their life. Unfortunately for those 1 inchers around here...it is going to mean travel. Unfortunately, for them, probably not going to happen if 30 minutes was to much...

I spent the eclipse at 11,000' on the side of the Grand (climbed it two days later.) Well above the smoke and haze of the valley under a perfectly clear sky. It was fucking amazing. For all who didn't see 100%, to bad. The difference between 99% and 100% is too big to describe. There were some cool light changes before, and it was interesting how crisp and sharp shadows were on either side of totality, but nothing compares with totality.

I used binoculars and could see solar flares around the edge. The diamond ring (sun shinning through a lunar valley) was fantastic, but the silvery light and lines of the corona was otherworldly. Seeing Venus mid day was cool, and there was planet or star near the sun, which I suspect was Mercury, but I haven't confirmed it...anybody know? Too high an altitude to see animal changes, nothing around but pikas, and I didn't notice anything unusual. No birds in the area.

I knew this was going to be cool, but it was way cooler then I could ever imagine. I have seen a couple of partials, but totality is just off the fucking charts. The posers who just thought, meh, need to make it to a total eclipse some time in their lives, it is that cool.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Now that's a partial eclipse I would enjoy seeing.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Just watched a bunch of videos, including one from the top of the Grand. For fucks sake, can't people just keep their pie holes shut and enjoy the phenomenon?

Glad we weren't at camp with 30 other people. Wife and I just sat quietly on a big boulder and enjoyed the whole of totality by ourselves. If it weren't so cold we would have danced naked like pagans.

iscariot

Talked to a guy yesterday who literally went to a specific place (near his home) with a number of other people, to see literally, 99.7%.
    I was like WTF?? You didn't go to 100? Oh we saw it...no you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Talked to a guy yesterday who literally went to a specific place (near his home) with a number of other people, to see literally, 99.7%.
    I was like WTF?? You didn't go to 100? Oh we saw it...no you didn't.
    Lulz. My in laws went up to the mountains to camp for 4 days at a spot with less totality (99.7 compared to 99.9) than here in town. They nagged us to go and would not take no as a answer. Gave my wife a lot of shit over it.

Fuck them. We drove up to totality. It was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Seeing Venus mid day was cool, and there was planet or star near the sun, which I suspect was Mercury, but I haven't confirmed it...anybody know?
    it was Mercury

A little under two years until the next total eclipse in 2024. If the weather forecast is good leading up to the eclipse date, I wonder how overrun northern VT will get.
    Name:  2024_Eclipse_track.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  155.1 KB

Edit to add: Upstate NY may be a shitshow too!
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post

Edit to add: Upstate NY may be a shitshow too!
    Where the hell is that?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Where the hell is that?
    Somewhere on the left I think?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

The annular solar eclipse next October could be cool, too: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/october-14-2023

Going to need some good weather luck to see the total eclipse in early April in a good portion of the eclipse's path.