Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    ^thanks for adding that guys

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Some good tips on how to view the eclipse.

https://www.exploratorium.edu/eclips...o-view-eclipse
    Watching a small dot on a white piece of paper would be an extremely underwhelming eclipse experience.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Watching a small dot on a white piece of paper would be an extremely underwhelming eclipse experience.
    I have vague memories of doing that in elementary school and it being only moderately underwhelming.
    In with the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Again, where I am the sun is only going to be 58% covered. Not all that exciting. It will be more exciting to have some fun playing around building the binocular projector. Plus it is something I can use to show my kids what is happening. I'm also going to have a welding helmet with #14 glass.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Bring a colander too; it's like having dozens of pinhole lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Bring a colander too; it's like having dozens of pinhole lenses.
    Yeah, just put it over your head. Good to go.

Yes, the colander thing is fun. Not sure if your local Tap Plastic is permanently out of stock just a month before the eclipse, but I've bought aluminized mylar by the yard there before, and that's the stuff "eclipse glasses" use (density may vary, so double it up if needed). Like they said, sunglasses not good, glacier glasses not good, sunglasses on top of glacier glasses not good; mylar good, certain particularly dark welder lenses good.

Anyway, that's all I'm bringing, strips of mylar to hold up against my face, binocs for a look at the corona early in totality, camera so I can have pics of my family looking goofy on the side of a rural road, and a camp chair (and a colander). Note that you're not going to be standing around looking at the partial-sun continuously; it's more like, "hmmm, let's check out how much it's blocked, now", you check it out, and then go back to eating breakfast or farting around with a colander or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    I have vague memories of doing that in elementary school and it being only moderately underwhelming.
    Yep. Done the same thing, pin hole camera. And it's not fucking interesting.
    There was one partial eclipse, where i actually noticed the weird half moon shadows from leaves on the trees and it got noticeably "darker" , and that was cool.

The ancients sacrificed their kids for total eclipses, but I don't think people realize how special and rare it is. And even if they did, they'd be too busy trying to find the right Instagram filter to appreciate the experience.

Any of you dirty hippies gonna be at this? http://oregoneclipse2017.com/

I'm no hippy, but I'll be there going strong with my techno brethren

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

NASA Offers Safety Tips For Viewing Aug 21 Solar Eclipse
    http://www.ibtimes.com/nasa-offers-s...clipse-2569473

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    Nope. I wash now and I'll be in Amsterdam and Norway.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Then you flew your Lear jet to Nova Scotia to see to total eclipse of the sun.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post

I'm no hippy, but I'll be there going strong with my techno brethren

[/URL]
    We'll will be in Madras OR at Solarfest.. the hippy thing sounds more fun
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Also.. remember.. if photographing the event.. you need to remove your solar filter (if planning on photographing the partial phases) during totality.. so don't crank that filter down too tight.. also.. you may want to prefocus a zoom lens on the moon prior and tape the focuser so it doesn't migrate during the event.. 'infinity' focus is not always focused at infinity.. also.. during totality.. bracket all your shots if you can in a wide range of shutter speeds.. and turn your flashes off
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Why would you turn the flash off, it will be dark.

;-)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Why would you turn the flash off, it will be dark.

;-)
    You obviously do not understand basic physics. You are probably one of those dimwits that think the flash emits light rays. The truth, you fucking JONG, is the the flash absorbs darkness, duh. The whole problem with using a camera flash during an eclipse is that the camera flash is trying to absorb the darkness at the same moment that the sun decides to go dark. So to the universe, that is like dividing by zero. A black hole is created and the entire universe gets sucked into it. We all die. All because some stupid JONG on planet Earth did not turn off his camera flash.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Maybe I'm a dipshit for thinking I can do this, but I might drive up to John Day the morning of. I'm thinking it's well off the beaten path enough to avoid the crowds, but I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

To John Day, from where?

^^^You like sharing the area with remnants of the Rainbow Gathering who decided to stay over?

We get 30+ seconds of totality at my house so sheltering in place. May take a little MTB ride to here, although its just south of the totality path
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	987.5 KB 
ID:	209755

Puma, if you want to drive from Bend to Culver, I suggest starting August 17

Got a friend who owns a bike shop/pub in Prineville. His beer distributer will not be making deliveries for two weeks prior to the eclipse due to insane demand and massive traffic. He's trying to figure out how to store a huge preorder of kegs so he can stay open. Yeah, the demand and crowds are real.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    You obviously do not understand basic physics. You are probably one of those dimwits that think the flash emits light rays. The truth, you fucking JONG, is the the flash absorbs darkness, duh. The whole problem with using a camera flash during an eclipse is that the camera flash is trying to absorb the darkness at the same moment that the sun decides to go dark. So to the universe, that is like dividing by zero. A black hole is created and the entire universe gets sucked into it. We all die. All because some stupid JONG on planet Earth did not turn off his camera flash.
    So does the plane take off or doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    He probably uses flash from the top of an arena at a concert,

Seriously going to be a lot of vision impaired folks, cause Facebook didn't warn them

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    So does the plane take off or doesn't it?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Stand by for eclipse selfies.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^You like sharing the area with remnants of the Rainbow Gathering who decided to stay over?

We get 30+ seconds of totality at my house so sheltering in place. May take a little MTB ride to here, although its just south of the totality path
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	987.5 KB 
ID:	209755

Puma, if you want to drive from Bend to Culver, I suggest starting August 17
    Yes, I think we are going to go that route. We'll probably just camp to minimize impact on the Aunt and Uncles pad. It was funny, my incredibly conservative mom said that we should just get drunk and high for this. (She's never been high, and drunk but a few times in her life...) My reply, you have just outlined my exact game plan, happy to have others join in!!

Somewhat related...that gathering out in the Ochocco sounds fun. I'd have been there pre-wife, and about 20 years younger.