Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I will be in Central Oregon. We are going from Bend to my uncles place near Culver. Unsure when we'll start that drive. Might be the night before, might be very early that morning. We will have provisions (beer and food) to last out the traffic and just hang out while it clears.

They have 5 acres right on the canyon. I am pretty damn stoked to see this. I was just a young one in 79, although I do remember it being pretty awesome. (Cloudy where I was)

I have heard that totality versus partial is like night and day. (Pun intended) Supposedly much more epic and something you need to see to believe.

Anyway, I will be with family. Edibles are going to come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I hear you

I keep waffling between trying to find BLM or NF land to camp starting Thursday prior and just bagging it and staying pdx and avoiding the shit show

Get out there AC! Leave early, come back late!

Carbondale, IL is where X marks the spot for this eclipse and the one in 2024.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I'm eagerly anticipating the absolute shitshow resulting from entitled people not getting to see the eclipse due to cloud cover. It'll be mesmerizing!

I'm tempted to load our small porta-potty onto a wagon, and drag it up and down highway 97, offering folks stuck in the traffic jam a place to piss for $20. A shit will cost $100.

One of my wife's clients (who is not all that bright) plans to sell home-made chili along the shoulder of 97. Chili. In August.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm eagerly anticipating the absolute shitshow resulting from entitled people not getting to see the eclipse due to cloud cover. It'll be mesmerizing!

not sure what "entitled" has to do with it
    but i get your vibe --- it's pretty hyped up

anyway, i keep wondering if all these towns on the line of totality are catastrophizing the impact of how many looky-loos they will actually get -- hopefully it's no worse than a holiday weekend

altho, I bet Depoe Bay/Lincoln City gets hammered on the coast.

That said, we were coming home across the river during the downtown fireworks display this year, and people actually stopped on I-5. Some pulled over, but not all. I suspect there's going to be a bit of that going on during the event.

I want to be away from that kind of thoughtlessness in my ideal eclipse watching spot

@ The AD....prolly good spots to watch will be off 26 between Prineville & John Day: couple, maybe three hours east of Govy depending on how far you want to go, open skies, and (I'd presume) fewer people. My guess is you should probably be in your spot Saturday or earlier. That road will be busy all weekend.

what i should have done is signed up for a float trip on the Deschutes for that day
    Last edited by acinpdx; 07-19-2017 at 10:35 AM.

anyway, i keep wondering if all these towns on the line of totality are catastrophizing the impact of how many looky-loos they will actually get -- hopefully it's no worse than a holiday weekend
    I'm sure they are all planning for the worst-case scenario, definitely.

prolly good spots to watch will be off 26 between Prineville & John Day
    I was thinking about that. Problem would be that route goes through ground zero of Madras. I thought maybe driving east on I-84 and then going south on 395 toward John Day might be a good plan, but that's a heck of a long way to go. Even continue all the way on 84 to Baker City might be a decent plan. The problem with either of these is I'll be staying very close to the line of totality. It seems crazy to have to drive for hours to see the eclipse, doesn't it?
    Last edited by The AD; 07-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.

People are acting like Chicken Little around here. My work just decided to close the office all day. Had to trade for a paid day off in December which kinda blows except that we work 10 hour days in the summer and 8 hour days in December so I'll come out 2 hours ahead. Boss was worried about a traffic jam but I don't think it'll be that bad.

not sure what "entitled" has to do with it
    They're gonna demand refunds of the retarded amounts of $$ they paid because of the weather. You mark my words.

Normal people don't do shit like that. But people with a sense of entitlement I can GUARANTEE will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    They're gonna demand refunds of the retarded amounts of $$ they paid because of the weather. You mark my words.
    Of course they will. My brother-in-law sells packages to sporting events like the Super Bowl and the Masters. He says he hates The Masters because people will call him demanding refunds if it rains!

ACinPDX...river will be a shitshow too.

I'm watching from my deck in Bend and not caring that I don't see totality. Big deal.

Everyone will go from looking up for 2 minutes to staring right back into their phones once it's done. The hype for this is nuts.

Leave the morning of...? You're kidding yourself.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Everyone will go from looking up for 2 minutes to staring right back into their phones once it's done. The hype for this is nuts.
    Yeah, but just think, you've got just two minutes to frame that selfie of you with the eclipsed sun behind you. It's a lot of pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    One of my wife's clients (who is not all that bright) plans to sell home-made chili along the shoulder of 97. Chili. In August.
    Ridiculous.

Everyone know she should be selling gazpacho.

Anybody have a freezer truck? You could make a killing selling ice near all the BLM land.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    SLC is 95% of totality. I think that's enough, it will be a sliver of a difference. I've seen a similar eclipse, it didn't blow my mind like I thought it would. (Unless I take acid, then ya know it's a world of difference.)

Am I misguided in not taking a 3 hour drive north to see 100%?
    NPR did a story on the upcoming eclipse and had a astronomer on there who indicated that you're not going to really experience any darkness even at 99.5% of totality. I'm an 18 mile drive from our family's farm in the path of totality so I'm hoping for some cloudless conditions day of.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

I posted at length in another PR eclipse topic, so I'll keep it brief here:

- Clouds for eclipse: It's still worth it. The overall visual change surrounding you in the moments before totality is a big part of the experience for me.

- Worst case scenario: The three totals I've been to, the crowd & traffic cluster situation were all within the range of predictions, but towards the low end. But yeah, bring your own jug of water and toilet paper roll, and don't do anything stupid like try to drive from Jackson to Drictor at 8:30am on eclipse day.

- What we're doing: Staying with relatives in Redmond, right at the edge of totality, and driving out early, probably in the direction of Ochoco. And we're bringing bikes in case there's general gridlock, and the best we can do is just limp north a bit from Redmond.

My offer stands for any central Oregon mags: I have five acres in the 8-seconds-of-totality range, right between Redmond and Prineville; a few mile walk/ride north gets you to 68 seconds. Anyone wants a place to watch it from, you're welcome here.

Thinking of serving up some Mimosas, too...

i'm going to be in eugene and will take what i can get. no way i'm driving that day.

I'm not sure what's the dumber idea:

Option 1 - Utilize non-Interstate routes (to the degree possible) to get somewhere near US 26 between Casper and Shoshoni. Rooms in Casper are currently going for ~$600/night, so I'm guessing a lot of people from Denver are heading to that general area. Even in ideal conditions this is a long-ass drive. Is the Wind River Rez sketchy?

Option 2 - Bikepack from SLC to somewhere between Idaho's Balls and Rexburg. Would need to borrow or rent a bike that would work for this, but have a buddy who is usually down for this kind of questionable idea. Upside to this idea is the possibility of smiling smugly while pedaling past the masses stuck in their cars.

One thing's for sure, no way I'm going anywhere near I-15 north of Ogden in a car that weekend.

I have friends that are all camping at an acquaintances cabin up in WY near Esterbrook, south of Casper. I can't leave Denver until Sunday morning at the earliest due to a wedding Saturday in town. Can't wait to sit on 25 hungover. Kind of dreading it.

My offer stands for any central Oregon mags: I have five acres in the 8-seconds-of-totality range, right between Redmond and Prineville; a few mile walk/ride north gets you to 68 seconds. Anyone wants a place to watch it from, you're welcome here.
    Thinking of serving up some Mimosas, too...
    good of you to invite us all, thanks!

i tell my wife 8 secs is good enough, but she insists on 2 mins so we'll have to take you up on the offer next time : p

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Is the Wind River Rez sketchy?
    I'm not sure, probably a little, but I think I'm gonna be there. My friend that I'm watching with has family there

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm not sure what's the dumber idea:

Option 1 - Utilize non-Interstate routes (to the degree possible) to get somewhere near US 26 between Casper and Shoshoni. Rooms in Casper are currently going for ~$600/night, so I'm guessing a lot of people from Denver are heading to that general area. Even in ideal conditions this is a long-ass drive. Is the Wind River Rez sketchy?

Option 2 - Bikepack from SLC to somewhere between Idaho's Balls and Rexburg. Would need to borrow or rent a bike that would work for this, but have a buddy who is usually down for this kind of questionable idea. Upside to this idea is the possibility of smiling smugly while pedaling past the masses stuck in their cars.

One thing's for sure, no way I'm going anywhere near I-15 north of Ogden in a car that weekend.
    Maybe a combo of both would be the best idea? Drive to a spot within striking distance then ride in the day of? that is if you can car camp somewhere informally without getting busted.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Yeah, pondering that. Downside to anything involving a bike is that I can't take the kid. Might as well go full-retard if I'm gonna ride.