Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Took my wife and baby girl up into the high country near Baker City, Oregon. Drove to 7000ft, camped and hiked around for a couple days, then climbed up to the high ridge to observe the eclipse. We had 340 degrees of horizon with probably 50 miles of isolation and 3500ft of prominence. What a sight, holy smokes. One of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

The skies were quite clear overhead, but there was a prominent smoke plume to the south and west, from the fires in the western part of the state. The smoke layer turned out to be an awesome factor... we could see the black shadow of the moon hauling ass across the scape in the smoke layer! The shadow front moves at like 1800mph... so cool.

Here are a few pics of our outing.

Wallowas:

Elkhorns:

Camp cruisings:

Eclipse:

Far-off shadow in the smoke, departing for points east (shitty pic, might put up a phone pic later):

Pinhole blanket on the mountain top:

Amazing!!!

Great pics of the Corona Norseman. Looked like a primo spot to watch
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Buddy of mine got this shot for Reuters:

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Took my wife and baby girl up into the high country near Baker City, Oregon. Drove a long 4x4 track to 7000ft, camped and hiked around for a couple days, then climbed up to the high ridge to observe the eclipse.
    During the weekend I went through a mental list of people I know and posited whether each one had plans to get into the zone of totality. When I got to you, I thought, "yeah of course Norseman was there with his family." Seriously, I cannot imagine anyone with a curiosity of nature not doing all they could to get into the ZOT. The 2 minutes and 3 seconds of totality greatly exceeded my very high expectations, and I expect to relive those 123 seconds many times. Keep me in the loop re your 2024 plans.

ETA: great pics

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    This is pretty spot on, although I'd put the Solar eclipse about 1 foot higher on that scale. .

People, including myself prior to experiencing it, naturally think that its more or less a linear thing. 100% will be 10% better than 90%. To me its a logarithmic thing. Its 1000% better than the partial eclipse.

The totality is a completely different experience. Its not AT ALL like the rest of the partial eclipse which must be viewed through the glasses or some sort of filter. You can't see it with the naked eye, whereas the totality is the only time you can look straight at the area of the sun when its high in the sky with your unprotected eye. And its the only time that you can see the corona with your eye. I saw on a Nova special that the corona is the hottest thing that the human eye can ever see directly - millions of degrees.

Its simply unlike anything else. Yeah it was a pain with traveling and traffic and yeah it was short - like 1:40 where I was, but DAMN it was special. I didn't believe the Astronomy nerds on the radio and TV hyping it ("like falling in love") but now I am a believer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Very cool outing for the fam, Norse! & great pics too!

Thanks, all.

Almost forgot... we had a little picnic with garyfromterrace in the park in Baker City post eclipse! Great to see you again, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Buddy of mine got this shot for Reuters:

That's a good one, your buddy must be psyched.

This one was posted on reddit and someone tracked down the pilots to give them a copy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment...1k/foo/dlyag09

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	210949

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post

Keep me in the loop re your 2024 plans.

I'm daydreaming hard about the next one!

December 14, 2020 in Patagonia would be outrageous and I might have to make another Christmas trip to that area. Maybe climb Lanín or Villarica.

July 2, 2019 in the Atacama could be neat as well. Maybe observe from the beach in La Serena with a few Pisco Sours, or in the high country up by Río Hurtado. I stayed in the Hacienda de los Andes there a few years ago and would go back for sure. There are a few huge telescope observatories in that area... might be sweet to use some big glass! Not sure about public access or road conditions in winter there, but food for thought.

Last edited by Norseman; 08-23-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    After seeing all the pics and reading all the descriptions... Can I get a do-over?
    Sure you can. But you'll have to wait patiently for 7 years.

Someone on another forum I frequent saw totality and was underwhelmed. So far that's the only person I've heard from that actual witnessed totality and wasn't blown away. Apparently he was expecting to see more stars during totality. Really dude? I can see fucking stars just about every night. I've only seen the sun's corona once in my 47+ years on the planet! God, some people are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    That's a good one, your buddy must be psyched.

This one was posted on reddit and someone tracked down the pilots to give them a copy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment...1k/foo/dlyag09

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	210949
    Yeah I saw that one. It's sick.

I am late to the party, and nothing new here...but damn. I was excited for the eclipse for sure, but had no idea how intense the experience would be. Even my wife, who tried to argue that it was too much trouble and did not want to go, and my son, who tried to act cool and unexcited, were blown away.

We drove to Bend early afternoon Friday. We went through Sisters, and it looked apocolyptic given the fire nearby. We were a bit worried about visibility as Central Oregon was very smokey! We headed over to my uncles place, right on the edge of the Deshcutes River canyon near Crooked River Ranch. The view was ridiculous:

Name:	view day before.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	210950

(Felt like an ass for never visiting their place till now...)

Although the sunset was nice, the smoke that made it nice was a worry. Hopefully the wind will blow right tomorrow morning!!!

Name:	sunset night before.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	556.5 KB 
ID:	210952

I put the phone away for the eclipse other than family pics of the reaction to the shit going down!!! I figured the pro's could capture the eclipse better than me!

The lighting was insane as we moved towards totality. The temperature drop and the shadows were killer too. I loved that there was basically a sunset 360 degrees. The horses ran around their pasture as it went dark. The final sliver of the sun slipping behind the sun was sweet, but I could not be prepared for the view once those glasses came off. Absolutely crazy. I'd heard nothing can do it justice but seeing it with your own eyes. I agree. Totality is "totally" worth it!!!

I threw out the thought that perhaps Texas in 2024 should be on the radar. My wife agreed. (I take that as..."yes, you were right honey. Sorry for doubting you and making planning difficult." TBS\Jonesy, no need to speak of this interpretation to my better half...)

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Someone on another forum I frequent saw totality and was underwhelmed. So far that's the only person I've heard from that actual witnessed totality and wasn't blown away. Apparently he was expecting to see more stars during totality. Really dude? I can see fucking stars just about every night. I've only seen the sun's corona once in my 47+ years on the planet! God, some people are weird.
    I'd classify that guy in the pathetic outlier category.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    After seeing all the pics and reading all the descriptions... Can I get a do-over?
    My wife wants me to plan a trip to Niagara Falls for 2024. Could be an interesting destination.

I'll admit I was the naysayer who didn't want to travel. Our house was at 99.3% and I said it wasn't worth the hassle. Girlfriend informed me that we would be going to totality. I went, it was awesome, and I admitted defeat and that she was right.

Time length of the event is irrelevant to its grandeur. Like a shooting star, The Kentucky Derby, or an Olympic 100 meter.

I don't get equating length of the event with impact.

Wish I'd rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I went, it was awesome, and I admitted defeat. . . .
    No, son, you went to the ZOT, therefore you won

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    I'd classify that guy in the pathetic outlier category.
    Definitely. It reminds of the people who give a hotel a bad review because they could hear the air conditioning running or something equally asinine.

My plans fell apart for seeing the eclipse in Idaho, the girl I've been seeing had to get back to grad school in Tennessee. I've never really been past Billings so it was a chance to see part of the country. Ended up watching in spring city (?) right on the line of totality. I'm glad I pushed to skip a bunch of parks, they will still be there, the sun will too but not the eclipse. This is the second eclipse I've seen, the other was partial. That weird gray light is really cool in both cases but the totality was so much better.

Watching the shadows push across the land was amazing, like something out of a movie but real. I think it was only moving 1,500 mph where we were. We saw two planets during totality, the temp dropped like crazy and the crickets went crazy when the sun came back.

This is a good vid of the shadow bands.
    https://youtu.be/rcDJMmsZwxg

Mazatlan Mexico....anyone ever been?

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Mazatlan Mexico....anyone ever been?
    Used to go for Spring Break in college. It was a blast but then I was in college so.....
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Yeah, thinking somewhere west of San Antonio might be a better option.