Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Some good vis today. Patrol got little results from control so they let us have at er. Glory peak laps from the t-bar walking up, a bit firmer in the alpine where it was exposed, still plenty of pow. Only thing I could get to move was on w cirque high, feels solid. More difficult than usual entrance in to Excitation. Spun a couple easy laps off Harmony when they cracked it. Don't see them getting the peak open tomorrow, lots of work to be done. From what I saw it was fairly slow up there today
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

they let you hike up to peak with unrestricted access to everything? didn't think they'd allow sullying of the product for the masses. i would have lapped shale slope and wrecked it for everyone. surprised they got no results after this dump

What an opening week. Finally slowed down today so a bit of catch up could be done. Nice to see the sun come out. Beautiful sunrise and sunset, it's hard to forget days like today. Big payoff for anyone who got their sweat on.

got my work done today, hoping to grovel for scraps tomorrow morning for a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    they let you hike up to peak with unrestricted access to everything? didn't think they'd allow sullying of the product for the masses. i would have lapped shale slope and wrecked it for everyone. surprised they got no results after this dump
    There were results but it was on usual performers and on steeper unsupported slopes for the most part.

Well that was lit... taken me a while to chime in here, and I'm more or less speechless. Seems most people have already covered the main points.

This looks to keep up for the foreseeable future too!! I'm excited.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

They got a size 3.5 off the Hanging Roll from heli bombing on Thurs or Friday last week, good pics on Wayne Flann's blog. In the few years I've been around, I've never seen them try to limit early season in-bounds touring to "save" it for chair openings or weekends... which is pretty awesome in my books and I hope nothing changes operations wise with Vail.

I will also use this post to make my annual comment about how awesome it would be if the entire alpine was just hike/skinning access.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    My legs hurt. What a weekend.

They opened the sign line a bit farther in Harmony bowl this morning so we got into Wet Dreams trees and then tbars on Whistler opened around 12:30pm. Sign line was all the way to Harmony ridge so we managed two down Robertson's this afternoon. Stupid deep and just laughing the entire time, can't believe it's November.

Strangely, they were stringing chairs on Harmony at 3pm so I'd imagine it's 100% tomorrow. Was snowing then raining hard the entire drive back to the city.

Attachment 193636
    nice gramboh. planned on touring the harmony or flute zones but was shutdown by patrol doing avy control. hopped over to blackcomb and toured 7th instead. waist deep. not usually a huge fan of 7th due to lack of steepness, which requires straight lining when it's deep but couldn't really complain. weekend salvaged

Damn nice stoke boys! I started stalking this thread a few weeks ago as I am headed out there for the first time for a few days in the first week of April and hoping for anything close to this.

They got a size 3.5 off the Hanging Roll from heli bombing on Thurs or Friday last week, good pics on Wayne Flann's blog. In the few years I've been around, I've never seen them try to limit early season in-bounds touring to "save" it for chair openings or weekends... which is pretty awesome in my books and I hope nothing changes operations wise with Vail.

I will also use this post to make my annual comment about how awesome it would be if the entire alpine was just hike/skinning access.
    So they literally told you you could go wherever you wanted in all of the terrain accessible from top of peak chair? I must have the worst luck ever.

Every time I try to tour inbounds early season, I always somehow get screwed by patrollers that don't know wtf is going on. One patroller will tell us that we can tour in an area and then we'll get there and another will tell us avy control is about to start and we need to get out of there, or we'll be told that the lifts won't be running in a certain area and that we can tour there and then all of a sudden the lifts start running and we're the retards skinning up a run that the lift-served hordes are shredding. Or like on Sunday, a patroller told us that all of Harmony and Symphony/Flute would be off limits for the whole day for AC, but apparently you were allowed into Harmony... BASTARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Chilling. That is one of my biggest fears.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Chilling. That is one of my biggest fears.
    Me too! I posted in another thread, how a avi lung probably saved my life in an inbounds NARSID situation.

Anyone got the scoop on Blackcomb alpine lifts and Symphony? Making weekend plans and kind of hoping they stay closed...

Anyone got the scoop on Blackcomb alpine lifts and Symphony? Making weekend plans and kind of hoping they stay closed...
    Heard from the staff at the Crystal hut that the Horstman hut was opening on Friday so obvs 7th. but again thats from staff not patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Me too! I posted in another thread, how a avi lung probably saved my life in an inbounds NARSID situation.
    I wear my avalung on truly deep days in bounds for this exact reason. I think tree well/immersion situations are where an Avalung can really save your life.

Absolutely, it gave me enough time to calm down and collect myself.

Big day, lots of side/bc.
    Friends went home.
    Really tired but, but I need one last run. Searching for the soft, nobody's been over here.
    Flopped over in a bad spot. Could have been bad.

We've all done it.

Ski quality average. Fast light snow on SE facing slopes with ski pen approx 30cms on Flute Shoulder. Also blower on N facing slopes on Oboe with coverage fat at 1900m and then creeks showing at 1700m; quite the variation.

Hint of windslab on Nfaces which then became a stout supportive slab below a wind and powder skin on NW slopes on Lesser Flute reentering ski area. Still fun fast snow.

Its so obvious as to not need be stated but conditions down low would be character building. Cornices already large! Winds light from SE. Temps - 5.

Was in the same areas. Nice of the sunshine to poke out long enough and often enough to keep viz good. Very fun day.

^^ Nice pics Lee, looks like a stellar day. Probably going out that way on Sunday depending on the weather.

Looks like no alpine lifts due to wind today, but not really any snow falling either. Debating sandbagging the company xmas party tonight to ski tomorrow but maybe i'll just wait and tour Sunday.

ha, same dilemma here with work xmas party. i was thinking of getting into the spearhead zone if it's sunny on sunday. anyone know what alpine lifts are supposed to open on bcomb?

Glacier and Seventh are running now fyi. Pretty windy from SE

Some condtions from Duffey

195cms HS at 1850m and -3 deg. Right side up snowpack. 5-10cms of fist (probably some wind transport as it hadn't snowed that much. Top 5-10 was reactive with CTE and CTM results on a N facing 32deg slope resistant planar. Nil reactions below with pronounced MF layer 65cms down.

Ski quality acceptable with supportive stout crust at approx 1550m elevation but not enough to trip you up.

Creek crossing from Pascall over Cerise Crk is character building.

Winds light to moderate gusts from SW. Snowing lightly.

Pic for above

couldn't make it up today...did they open spankys?

ha, same dilemma here with work xmas party. i was thinking of getting into the spearhead zone if it's sunny on sunday. anyone know what alpine lifts are supposed to open on bcomb?
    Haha tied one on last night and enjoyed sleeping in. Friends were up and said Spankys was skiing well. Didn't ask if temp boundary or not.

Ski out to village still ok?

Haha tied one on last night and enjoyed sleeping in. Friends were up and said Spankys was skiing well. Didn't ask if temp boundary or not.

Ski out to village still ok?
    Ski outs are ok, not great.

Spankys was skiing ok. Coverage was quite good at the top, but many parts wind affected. Was temp boundary.