PSA: Ortovox transceiver trade in program

https://www.ortovox.com/us/beacon-re...usa-promotion/

Ortovox has a cool thing going on. Bring your old transceiver to an Ortovox dealer though Dec. 32 to get a $75 trade in towards the retail price of a 3+.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Thanks for the heads-up!

FKNA!

This is interesting as I have an older D3, what are the tangible benefits to moving to a new 3+?

I do not know. Ask Ortovox

solid deal.

i was looking into for myself when i found Freeze Proshop. other mags have ordered with success from them before.

Brexit currency crush to thank for the 3+ being only $227 + ~$6 royal airmail to US.

Also have a few other solid beacons at great prices (Tracker 3, Mammut Element etc)

I have an old F1 that I retired long ago, this seems a good way to use it to upgrade from my old tracker that I'm currently using (making the tracker my emergency backup/spare/loaner beacon). Hmm...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    This is interesting as I have an older D3, what are the tangible benefits to moving to a new 3+?
    The 3+ has a longer range, processes the signal faster (quicker direction/distance updates, allows you to move quicker), has the "smart antenna" technology that automatically switches the transmitting antenna to the one that will be detected at the greatest range by other beacons, and perhaps most importantly, resolves spikes and nulls better than the D3. It also likely has better audio/visual although that's a preference thing and it's been awhile since I had a D3 in my hands. The 3+ is certainly a better beacon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have an old F1 that I retired long ago, this seems a good way to use it to upgrade from my old tracker that I'm currently using (making the tracker my emergency backup/spare/loaner beacon). Hmm...
    Bluntly, I'm of the opinion that the original Tracker is obsolete and anyone currently using one for regular backcountry travel should retire it. Yes it was a revolutionary beacon when it came out, but the technology has significantly evolved. First, most BCA Trackers that are over 5-ish years old have experienced significant frequency drift. Second, 3 antenna beacons really make the fine search a lot easier and faster by correctly resolving spikes and nulls (and anyone reading this that doesn't know what spikes and nulls are should upgrade to a 3 antenna beacon immediately). Third, the Tracker has shitty range, nearly everything else on the market is better. Fourth, the audio and visual clues on newer beacons are generally better than the Tracker. Fifth, the multiple burial features are nice to have, although obviously if you follow good travel protocol you shouldn't need them.

So yes, trade in that F1 and get you a new 3+

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Bluntly, I'm of the opinion that the original Tracker is obsolete and anyone currently using one for regular backcountry travel should retire it. Yes it was a revolutionary beacon when it came out, but the technology has significantly evolved. First, most BCA Trackers that are over 5-ish years old have experienced significant frequency drift. Second, 3 antenna beacons really make the fine search a lot easier and faster by correctly resolving spikes and nulls (and anyone reading this that doesn't know what spikes and nulls are should upgrade to a 3 antenna beacon immediately). Third, the Tracker has shitty range, nearly everything else on the market is better. Fourth, the audio and visual clues on newer beacons are generally better than the Tracker. Fifth, the multiple burial features are nice to have, although obviously if you follow good travel protocol you shouldn't need them.
    This is good advice. I see lots of low-functioning Tracker 1's out there. Especially when they get below 80% battery they really start taking a dive. A new one off the shelf is still a fine beacon but if yours is 5 years old you should definitely check it for drift and general functionality.
    Drive slow, homie.